Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. I can get them to try that I guess. Part of the problem is that being governors, they are spread all over the place so I can't see them face to face, and I can already sense a few of them are getting a bit annoyed at this when it should have 'just worked' so I don't want to keep sending them suggestions without knowing it's likely to work
  2. It just keeps on prompting them. Not the accounts since I can use their account to log in externally on IE, Firefox and Chrome. The only thing I can think is that it is something to do with their browser settings but without being able to reproduce it, it's hard for me to tell them what to do! Some of them are accessing it fine though
  3. I've setup a Sharepoint 2010 site as a portal for governors to use - it works fine for me both externally and internally from every browser possible. Same for my boss, so we go live with it and start putting documents on it. However half of the people who need to access it are unable to do so - all they get is the login prompt, they enter details and they are shown it again, as if the password is wrong, but I have checked and they are using the correct credentials. I can login as those users from anywhere so no problem with accounts. At first I thought it was to do with IE, but just had a governor unable to login with Chrome either. It is running basic authentication with SSL. I went basic to avoid them having to type domain\username. I've looked in the IIS logs, it shows where someone has tried to access it, but it does not show anything about access denied. I assume the following is 2 attempts. 2012-02-03 16:21:17 192.168.1.13 GET / - 443 - 109.238.71.252 Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 401 2 5 231 2012-02-03 16:21:17 192.168.1.13 GET / - 443 109.238.71.252 Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 401 1 1326 344 2012-02-03 16:21:52 192.168.1.13 GET / - 443 109.238.71.252 Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 401 1 1326 380 2012-02-03 16:25:37 ::1 GET /_vti_bin/sitedata.asmx - 80 - ::1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+4.01;+Windows+NT;+MS+Search+6.0+Robot) 403 4 5 1 Does the 401 refer to a HTTP 401 error? Whereas a successful login by me as the same user looks like this: 2012-02-03 16:31:52 192.168.1.13 GET / - 443 82.113.231.63 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.1)+AppleWebKit/535.7+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/16.0.912.77+Safari/535.7 200 0 0 86 2012-02-03 16:31:52 192.168.1.13 GET /SitePages/Home.aspx - 443 82.113.231.63 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.1)+AppleWebKit/535.7+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/16.0.912.77+Safari/535.7 200 0 0 724 2012-02-03 16:31:53 192.168.1.13 GET /SiteAssets/SitePages/Home/extranet.jpg - 443 readhead.s 82.113.231.63 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.1)+AppleWebKit/535.7+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/16.0.912.77+Safari/535.7 304 0 0 Obviously we're using different browsers there, what does his refer to though? Because he said he is using IE (and later Chrome) but that looks like Firefox? Any ideas anyone?
  4. I agree. I am putting together a brief document just mentioning costs, advantages/disadvantages and what will/won't run on different platforms but I'm clearly stating that it depends greatly on what teachers would like to achieve. Trust me, I've seen enough white elephants installed in my old job (against my wishes) to know that whatever goes in has to be what is best for education and what the teachers will want to use. Luckily being an independent there is a lot more consideration about new schemes, no money thrown around for the sake of it Also thanks everyone for their input
  5. That is unbelievably harsh! Or do the staff not mind?
  6. We have a Colour Laserjet 4600 as the main (pretty much only) colour printer in our school. It's 9 years old and has been having major problems with the paper trays. Considering the cost of repair and the age, I was considering buying a new one. I was thinking either the CP3525n or the CP4025n which may be more suitable as it is faster, higher resolution and has more memory. We also have a few Canon i-Sensys LBP7750 around the site which I like, but not sure if they are up to the job as a fast reliable printer.. Only need A4, A3 would be nice but a decent one is probably outside of our price range
  7. Also I'm assuming from the responses there is no way to continue using a self signed cert for internal Outlook clients and the wildcard cert just for OWA? I have both installed on my exchange server
  8. Yes but we're an independent school, would they still issue one?
  9. Our external is mail.schoolname.org and that is the only one we use externally, would 3 not be enough in our case?
  10. Would this be ok? QuickSSL® Premium For Only £68.00 - Secure Mobile Devices, Issued Within Minutes, Free GeoTrust® Site Seal (UK) Or is there something cheaper? TrustICO were who I ordered the wildcard cert from, bit annoying as that costs about £130 compared to £30 for a single server cert but at least I only purchased for a year!
  11. Makes sense, but yes it is a bodge, cautious as it adds a layer of complexity for no reason apart from saving money (and making the most of me buying the wrong cert)
  12. Thanks, I was thinking that would be the problem. Bought the wildcard cert thinking it would cover this and our sharepoint server Only found out about SAN certs today...oh well, live and learn I would imagine that setting the external address to resolve internally just to be able to use the same certificate is probably not a great idea?
  13. We run an Exchange 2010 SP1 server and mostly Outlook 2007 clients, with a few Outlook 2010. When I initially set it up, I used a self signed cert for everything, this of course meant a warning on OWA and also a warning the first time with Outlook 2010, which I assume would eventually be solved by installing an internal CA. However I bought a wildcard SSL certificate to use with OWA and installed it. I set the binding in IIS for port 443 to use the new cert, works fine externally. But now internal Outlook clients (even 2007) bring up a prompt saying the server name does not match the certificate - and when you view the certificate it is the one for mail.schoolname.org so no wonder it is complaining. I still have the self signed cert on the server, so how do I set it so Outlook uses that rather than the external one? I have read a lot about internal URL paths this afternoon which can apparently produce this error, but when I have checked these settings in the EMC they all seem to reference the internal FQDN so I'm not sure that is the problem here?
  14. Well Plusnet have been very helpful, but they have done a check and a new line would be needed They say it is an MPF line at the flat and so can only be used with Sky, unless an engineer comes out. So I think I may as well just go with Sky now if that's the only way to not get an engineer out. This shouldnt be so complicated! Edit: actually just remembered speaking with Sky last week and even they said they would need to put a new line in! This is ridiculous
  15. Is the quite broad brief I have been given to work with by the head. He wants ideas as to how we could accomplish this. Essentially he is probably thinking laptops, tablets or something similar. Our school currently has 2 ICT suites, and apart from one room, no other student accessible computers, no wireless and no laptops. So I can see where he is coming from. But apart from the obvious, any other ideas? It pretty much boils down to more computers one way or another I would think
  16. Ok...we have actually moved in now. I connected a phone to the line and there is nothing, no dial tone, no noise. So I'm assuming it has been disconnected at the Exchange. I phoned up Be to try and order hoping they could instruct BT to do the line activation but apparantly no they cant, I have to phone BT. But will BT just re-activate the line and not make me take out line rental with them?
  17. I install Virtual Clonedrive on everything, works flawlessly (good job it is ok for use at work!)
  18. Was also impressed by Impero, always put off installing a trial before because we were happy with Netsupport, but I did like what I saw from a demo. Pricy, but it's something that would be a useful tool for me, as well as the teachers
  19. Think it will be me that struggles without it rather than teachers, dont think a day goes by when I dont use it! I support the action though, good on them
  20. I dont mind using the CLI, like others I have been forced to when we upgraded to Exchange 2010 and now I can memorise some commands it becomes second nature. But still it would be nice to be able to use the GUI if I just want to make a quick change, that frustrates me sometimes. As mentioned, there are some things which really suit a CLI better, and some things which make more sense in a GUI, though of course providing a CLI equivalent for those is not a bad thing at all, as long as they dont abandon the GUI
  21. I had a 1998 first gen 2.0 model for a few years, absolutely adored it. Looked great, really comfortable and pretty quick. Had to get rid though as it just cost too much to run.
  22. I plug one into one UPS and the other into another UPS (only have one of them performing a shutdown though)
  23. Ah thanks, will have a look then. The tray does look very similar to that, so hopefully that is the problem. Will report back
  24. We have a Laserjet 4600 as the colour printer in our ICT suite. All of a sudden yesterday it kept asking for paper to be inserted, the teacher managed to get documents to print by taking out and re-inserting tray 2 for each sheet. I had a look later, expecting it to be a driver setting or the wrong paper size, something standard. But it isnt. Even if you print a menu map or supplies page, it still asks you to put A4 in tray 1 and does nothing when you press the button to use another tray. I powered it off for a while today then put it back on and did a supplies page again, and it came out of tray 2 straight away. But then the problem started again. So it doesnt sound like there is anything physically wrong with the tray, it just seems to refuse to try to use it. When you print, with it set to A4 in tray 2, it doesnt even try to print from tray 2 and instantly just says insert A4 into tray 1 again Any ideas?
  25. Only problem is the current one is Virgin cable! And new area isnt cabled I'd prefer to go with another provider, used ADSL24 a while ago and they were great, but it's going to be hard to persuade flatmates to go with that when Sky is free for 6 months! So when the line is actually controlled by Sky (eg paying them rather than BT line rental) it's still converted back to a BT line when the account is closed? Good shout on the dongle. Also there is a cafe across the road with free wi-fi so I should survive
×
×
  • Create New...