Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. I'm starting to think this...I'm at the stage where I'm about to start learning it...but then being that we only have 120 computers it does seem like overkill. MDT works, and we have Impero as well...so do we really need it?
  2. Finally emailed him back to say ok to £80 and he said he'd already got one with Windows 7 (which will be pirated) from someone else. Shouldnt wait around so long!
  3. Yeah, but mine isnt widescreen, and only has VGA output. So I'm realistic it isnt worth much. Actually maybe I should use it at work given how hard it is to buy 4:3 screens!
  4. Yeah, my experience of haggling is start low, but prepare to meet somewhere in between your first and the sellers first price. These people wouldn't get on very well in a Moroccan market by just sticking to their first price!
  5. Yeah I know, I'll probably have to let it go for that because I'm fed up of having the thing hanging around and I've not been flooded with interest. Definitely seems to be a buyers market for second hand kit!
  6. Even with the solution that looks like it will take hours!
  7. Selling a 5/6 year old Dell Optiplex, Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, legal copy of XP, 19" Dell TFT. Stuck it on Gumtree for £120, expected to be haggled down a bit. Someone emails asking what is the lowest I'd let it go for if they collected tonight, I say I'll do £100 if he collects with cash. He comes back with 'what about £80?' Being that I'd already said lowest was £100, I say how about £90, still he comes back with 'I've got £80 and I'll have to buy a keyboard and mouse' Seriously, am I really over valuing this computer or what? I know prices of used stuff has fallen hugely but I didnt think £90 for that was over the top...maybe I'm wrong
  8. Well this thread has certainly convinced me to go for SSD's when buying replacement PC's this year. I'm hoping to be amazed, because I've NEVER used one. I've got very close to buying them for home computers but capacity has always won out in the end
  9. Ah, so with 3 hosts I'd be looking at 6 licences if they are all dual processor? Do you know a rough cost or have a recommended reseller? I could probably find this information out but I'm being lazy
  10. Thanks for that I think I will be recommending a purchase then Using Backup & Replication v6, backing up Hyper-V VMs from local storage on 3 servers to our backup server, and eventually to a NAS in another building hopefully I probably won't use it to backup data VHDs, such as the users disk from our fileserver, as all that data is backed up traditionally with Backup Exec anyway, just use it for OS disks instead, which are usually 60GB with half of that space free. I was starting to tear my hair out with Altaro, I can't understand why it can't use some of the same methods. I was getting terabytes filled up quickly just backing up 5 or 6 servers. Veeam is so much better
  11. I realise why they do it, but I still don't like it. Programme makers are getting increasingly lazy and using tweets to fill airtime. I don't care what PhilJones34 thinks about an issue, I'm watching a programme to hear people who know what they're talking about. If I wanted to look at Twitter I would do just that. Perhaps it is excusable with entertainment shows such as the Million Pound Drop because it is just light entertainment, but using Twitter opinions on the news is inexcusable and lazy IMO. I realise I am going off topic a bit here
  12. Hashtags are great, but can also be quite annoying when overused - I have a friend who just puts everything in a hashtag to try and be humorous, but it just doesn't work. One made up one for comedy effect can be good. But obviously they are more useful if they are established and help with searching. I also hate when TV shows bring up hashtags on the screen during a show, not only is is annoying, it just seems a bit try-hard - if something is worth talking about people will make up a hashtag, they don't need one spoon fed to them
  13. I imagine they do very, very well at stations and airports, because they sell most things that people need in those places. On the high street though they seem less useful. I went in one recently to look for stationary and it was pretty poor. More than anything it just felt really dated.
  14. I'm trialling Veeam to backup out Hyper-V servers, and I have a question. Is it actually backing up the whole server? Because it is incredibly quick, and a worlds difference from Altaro, which religiously backed up the entire VHD and took up a mountain of space. I've attached a screenshot from a test backup - could I restore those servers to another host from that backup? It's so small, but is it just intelligent enough not to backup free space? Also plenty of compression and dedupe by the looks of ii. If all is ok then I'm very happy
  15. I was asked by a boy yesterday "My memory stick doesnt work. Are you the janitor?" That was a definite moment
  16. Yeah, very succinct and helpful, thanks!
  17. Coming up for my renewal, and I want to be sure everything is right. 1) Are Server DataCenter licences done per processor? A quote I have seems to indicate this is the case. But it isnt with Enterprise or Standard? 2) If I want to run SCCM on a VM managing clients, and SCVMM on one of my 3 Hyper-V hosts, managing itself and another 2 hosts (2 hosts are dual CPU, one is single) what server licences would I need? 3) Am I right in thinking the Core CAL pack covers SCCM but not things like Forefront Endpoint?
  18. You need to make your feelings known that it isn't enough space for you all to do your jobs. Leaving the noise issue aside, would they plan any other office in the school to have less desks than people? It's not good enough and if you don't fight hard to change it now you'll be stuck with it
  19. Only 2003 server left here is what was the old Hebron server, I've kept it on as a print server and will move printing to 2008R2 when we migrate to W7 in the summer. Then again I totally rebuilt the network last year so made sense to start from scratch with 2008R2
  20. Quite glad I use the Overground, my route to work isn't affected at all Some 'busier than usual' at Finchley Road, which is closest to me but nothing to worry about I feel sorry for those who work in central London though!
  21. Ah ok, possibly then. I think I need to get someone from the maintenance company in and show me whats what with the old system. Its a bulky thing thats for sure, and the rats nest of extension wiring just makes me go Fair point about QOS. So if I was to buy a couple of cheap SIP phones and then setup a VLAN on one of our switches for them it would be a good start for learning it?
  22. Thanks. Been playing with FreePBX...a lot to learn but thats all good. If I was to use software SIP phones while learning, would it be a realistic test for QOS on switches or not? Also, been trying to get to grips with our current phone system....I can't work out where any lines come in! The only box we have is an old BT NTE52B 'Megastream' box, which has an ethernet cable going to god knows where in the phone patch panel. But from Googling, this just seems to be an old point to point ethernet link. So why is is plugged into our phone system?
  23. I'm off to the Camden Crawl in a few weeks, although it's not really a festival per se, it sounds fun, loads of bands and you can go home to your own bed each night! (We live just up the road) After that it is Field Day on 2nd June and Lovebox for a day on 15th (going mostly because of Crystal Castles & Magnetic Man), and then Latitude in July, which seemed to be the closest thing I could find to Glastonbury - that blew my mind last year and raised the bar on what I expect from a festival
  24. Agree, might have to go for more expensive in future. I just liked Comms Express a lot and thought that even though they were cheap, they would be good. But yeah could just have been a dodgy batch - I bought some 1m cables at the same time and whilst I use a lot less of them for patching in cabinets, I haven't had any problems
  25. Anyone else had this? I bought a load of 0.5m patch leads from Comms Express last year and they really arn't good. They seem to exhibit a problem I've seen before - they dont get a connection unless you make an extra push into the patch panel, meaning that moving a cable can disconnect loads of others...really annoying. I'm hoping someone knows what I mean here! I initially thought it could be the patch panel but I've re-terminated the room in question to a much better one and the problem persists. When I replace them with other cables, the problem dissapears. Is this an issue with Comms Express cables or budget cables in general? They were cheap, about 46p each, but over a quid seems a lot for a cable, especially when you need stacks of them
×
×
  • Create New...