sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
LOL...you can tell it's Friday afternoon On a serious note, I think I'll invest in some fish tape and cable rods (I've got quite a few of these to do, fairly easy runs with the right tools)
-
Tape slips off, but a cable tie may work! I've also managed to fashion a small hook at the end of the hanger now
-
Lol I was hoping to avoid drilling, as I don't have a drill! Piping sounds like a good idea actually, especially as I could pull the existing cables back through and get it in (they're terminated appallingly anyway, not my doing) Just wondered whether a tool existed that would help me push the cable through...my coat hanger method would work if the cable could be attached to it better
-
Want to install some extra points in our office....the switch cab is in the next room, trunking already runs the whole way, very easy 10m run. Except...it goes through a wall. An electrician drilled the holes and put the existing cables through a while ago, and while I could get them back, as the holes are already there and I only need to get 3 more cables through, I wanted to do it myself. The problem is that the wall at it's core is solid brick, then either side is plasterboard, then to make matters worse there is an additional ledge on the lower part of the wall, so the thickness is getting on for 30cm. Also, although holes are cut, they arent very well lined up through the different parts. On both sides and presumably the middle, there is plenty of space for more cables. Allow my crude diagram to illustrate the wall. (ok I can't even get a picture to show up now, not having a good day!) My usual method is a wire coat hanger, unwound. I poke one end into some CAT5, then poke it through and pull it the other side. The problem here is that because I can't see which part of the hole it is going through, it is getting too tight and I end up pulling the hanger through without the cable! What other tools techniques could I use to get this bloody cable through?
-
Alternator in Ford Fiesta..are we being ripped off?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
They said they measured it and there was no charge with the engine on. Unfortunately I have to take their word for it - couldn't go in to check as I'm at work 12 miles away. As for finding a good independant - that is what I hoped this place was. Local, seemed friendly, no advertising and no bad reviews online. But I doubt I'll be using them again now. -
Alternator in Ford Fiesta..are we being ripped off?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
On the subject of running costs... This car is only use by my girlfriend to get to work, I get the train. It's costing a grand a year to insure, £200 tax, and then unexpected repairs like this. Should she go for a company car if possible? I have no idea what the costs are like, her company do it but her boss said it would be expensive for her. But then other people say it's really cost effective. And her boss has a Range Rover, which is obviously not going to be something she would get -
Alternator in Ford Fiesta..are we being ripped off?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
Yeah rather stupidly, I didn't check the price of an alternator...ffs They told me it would cost £180 for the alternator...are they just bumping up the price for extra profit? Don't mind paying labour particularly, I have no chance of doing it myself as I have no garage, just an extremely tight parking space in a shared car park for our flats. I'd give it a go if I did have somewhere to do any work -
I've got a 98 Fiesta diesel which recently has had the battery light staying on while driving. The car has continued to start at least 4,5 times, and when I took it to the garage this morning it still started, so does that rule out a bad battery? The garage has phoned me and said it is the alternator - which will be £240 inc VAT and fitting. This doesnt sound like a terrible price to me? But my concern is that I don't know for sure it is the alternator - only they do. Is there something cheaper they're actually replacing and are just trying it on? Although we live very close and they seem like nice people, I don't trust garages one bit. Is it most likely to be the alternator? I know I should have probably got a second opinion, but that means finding somewhere else (this place is a few doors down from our flat) and then at least another day after which the result could be the same. Also we need the car on Saturday!
-
Creating and deploying a screensaver with a static image?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
Sounds easy enough, thanks. obviously didnt do enough googling! -
Our IT teacher is running a competition where students design posters, and she would like the winner to be put on as a screensaver in our IT suite for a while. It will be supplied to me as a static image. Now the easiest way to do this on one PC would be to use the photos screensaver and point it to a folder with just the one image in it. But while I can force that screensaver to appear, I assume it isn't easy to specify to each PC which photos to display (registry entry?) So instead, as I will have to deploy something anyway, it could be easier to somehow package that image up into a .scr file and use that...but which program will do this for free?
-
I went 32bit when we changed in the summer just because most PCs have 2GB of RAM and the new ones with 4 arn't going to struggle with 3. That said, sort of wish I had gone 64 bit now, as it would have been more future proof and meant I only needed one print driver per printer Probably will start moving to 64 bit over the next year
-
I like it. Very different way of doing things but I'm slowly enjoying using it. Not really sure how I would ever deploy it in school, but I'm sure that will become clear over time - not like we need to upgrade for a few years anyway
-
What are you like at remembering pupils' names?
sidewinder replied to laserblazer's topic in General Chat
Used to know a few names at my old job, as it was a large secondary school so inevitably there were a few bad ones or ones that kept coming up to the office. Totally different now at a smaller independent school - the culture of the pupils coming to me doesn't exist (partly because they're a lot younger I suppose) and there are literally no troublemakers, they're all so well behaved (well on the computers at least) -
Freecycle if you want rid quickly. While you could sell them, it depends how much you value your time - probably more effort than it's worth
-
That's a bit naughty. You can bet that unless you asked they probably wouldn't mention it. And they'll obviously have a small 4G antenna/base station in store to prove how amazing the signal is
-
I ran with a pass-thru disk for a while but decided to change purely due to the portability - it became a big issue if I had to do anything with that host. Performance wise, I have seen absolutely no degradation whatsoever - this is with about 100GB of user shares. I would recommend VHD
-
Last week, at 2 seperate times on the same day, 2 shares had all the folders set to hidden, and a shortcut to every single folder/file created. Had to restore from backup in the end. At first I thought it was something a staff member had done, as one of the shares was a public area which teachers can write to, but then it happened to another share that only I have access to. In the end no big deal as all the data was still there, but slightly worried that if it happens to say, a user share, no-one will be able to see their files until I fix it. Just seems really weird. No viruses detected. All the other shares on the affected server were/are fine Any ideas?
-
lol, thought I'd try a speed test on my 3G phone after seeing what other people have written here - 0.05 Mbps down, 0.09 Mbps up, and that's with 2 bars of reception. Awesome
-
If you want a drink with a view, head here - Bar | PARAMOUNT It's on the 32nd floor of Centrepoint and the views were absolutely incredible, went last night. You do have to book in advance even for drinks (but it's free) and cocktails cost about £11 each but are really, really good
-
Wouldnt even consider it at the minute, when 3G works it is more than fast enough, and when it doesn't, well 4G isn't going to be any better! I live in London and STILL get appalling 3G reception a lot of the time
-
I've got the Joomla Explained book and I wouldn't recommend it - most of the book covers things that I had worked out for myself before I got it, simple stuff such as creating articles and menus, although if you had never used it it would probably be useful.
-
Quite enjoyed it yesterday, some interesting seminars. Sam annoyance as at BETT with random people wanting to scan your badge as you walk past - don't mind if I've talked to that company, but not if I've not even stopped to glance at their stand! Also Microsoft really need to get a bigger theatre, smaller than most of the others yet one of the most popular
-
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've created shortcuts on my W& x64 machine (so they would point to Program Files (x86)) and put them in the start menu and users on 32 bit W7 can get to them fine. Last week I even had a shortcut change path - I had the apps drive mapped to a different letter on my machine than the shortcut pointed to, but Windows detected that and still loaded the software - was quite impressed by that tbh
-
I'm there tomorrow, should be good, some interesting seminars hopefully Edit: Also I thought the same as Gibbo upon reading the thread title
-
+1 for HAP+ Makes it so, so simple
