sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Yeah £5k is way over the top. While it can be a bit fiddly to do, it isn't really difficult per se, and there are plenty of guides online
-
That is ridiculous. However years ago my old school used to have stacks of Cisco injectors in each cab, I think because their PoE wasn't standard, or it was before the standard had been finalized, can't remember. I'd still use them in areas where there are only 1 or 2 PoE devices but thats about it. I've also just acquired a free 6 port rackmount PoE injector from a friend which will handle a few of our access points for a while, but generally I'd rather PoE switches
-
Got 3 or 4 Athlon 64 machines from 2006-07, all different models. Will go this year, apart from one in the server room which I just use to connect to switches and test things, works fine for what its needed for Also got a 10 year old Fujitsu Celeron laptop driving an old plasma screen in one room. It's secondary to the Smartboard so no need for anything newer to drive it
-
As said, a good stacking interface and 2x28's may be the way to go, but don't do what I did and buy a 28 thinking youll never fill them, then buying a 52 port the year after because you filled them
-
We've purchased a few copies of this for use on laptops, and the combination of the terrible laptop soundcards and poor quality analog headsets they include has made it unusable so far. So I want to purchase some USB headsets as that *should* solve the problem, but are there any recommended by Edugeekers for dictation software? I've found these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-OEM-960-Stereo-Headset/dp/B0013N474I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366186660&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+usb+headset http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-LifeChat-LX-3000-New-Packaging/dp/B000JSDOMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366186743&sr=8-1&keywords=microsoft+usb+headset The MS ones look better, but both have reviews where people have mentioned they work well with Dragon...but others saying they don't! Any other suggestions before I order? Should we be spending a bit more on them?
-
Recommend me a laptop to run a Smartboard from please
sidewinder replied to speckytecky's topic in Hardware
I've stopped using laptops for smartboards now, will be replacing current ones with desktops when they are due. They look messy with cables coming out of all sides of the laptop, widescreen laptops are a nightmare with screen resolutions, and although it's as simple as pressing a button, there are always, always problems with switching the display output to clone. Small desktops with a VGA splitter for me -
I've setup a VLAN for client PC's, with my L3 switch as the default gateway and an IP helper setup. PC's work fine with this, they obtain an IP address from the correct scope, and all is well. But I'm trying to PXE boot a PC in order to get into MDT and it just won't get an IP address. If I move it to the original VLAN it works fine. I was expecting a few problems booting into MDT but I at least expected to be able to obtain an IP address first! It just waits and waits and eventually times out. I don't understand why Windows can, but PXE boot can't. Any ideas?
-
40 years of the Mobile..what was your first phone?
sidewinder replied to rad's topic in General Chat
Trium buddies! *fist bump* Mine was a Trium Astral first. It looked like it would be so much better than the 5110's everyone was using. It wasn't. I remember my dad having a Vodafone car phone in the early 90's which absolutely blew my mind. A phone...IN A CAR? -
I once got about 5 different 'welcome to' texts on a flight to Mumbai and I left my phone on. As for not using during takeoff and landing...I just switch it off when a steward(ess) walks past, then put it back on again
-
That is pretty cool. Please say you found a BBC to play them on Oldest in ours I've found is an old Celeron laptop running W98. Booted it up out of interest...by the time it had finished booting 10 minutes later I had lost interest My last school still had several Acorns setup ready for use (but they wernt) until 2006ish...couldn't understand why the teachers had let them sit in their classrooms for so long
-
Do them all regularly. I even do 1 several times in a row...I get distracted very easily!
-
I'm currently looking at a Ruckus system and a good deal with the 3050 ZoneDirector which would handle enough APs to cover the entire school. The trouble is, the school is 3 seperate sites and subnets, linked via 100MB leased lines (2 buildings on one street, 3rd on another street) While I'm sure it's possible to have APs in different subnets to the controller, my question is more about how much data needs to flow between an AP and the controller - I assume it doesn't pass all data through the controller first? Just reading that back sounds stupid but it's worth checking! Essentially, is it just configuration, authentication and status info going between AP and controller?
-
This was my thought too. I curse whoever decided to run loads of our cables behind wood panels. Great idea at the time, pain in the arse to fault find or run more
-
Not been able to find another one so far among our spares, which is annoying. Will try the warming up *chuckle* In fairness, while they want the data back they arn't too up in arms about it. If I can't fix it I'll get a quote for recovery and it's up to the bursar whether the school shells out or the staff member concerned. Personally I'd get them to pay - they had remote access so didnt need to keep anything on there, but it's not my decision.
-
One of our deputy heads has had a problem with their laptop - when booting up no HD is detected. Took it out and attached to several SATA-USB converters and listened closely - it spins up briefly then immediately powers down. It doesn't even start being recognised by the computer. No clicks or anything, just the whirring then power down. The staff member said after it first went, it worked again for a few days, then stopped. Also they say they have not dropped the laptop and I have no reason to disbelieve them as there is no sign of any impact damage. Is there likely to be any hope of fixing this myself or is it professional recovery only? I presume the data itself is ok, but the motor or logic board are faulty? It's an Hitachi HTS545032B9A300 manufactured in Feb 2010
-
It'd have to be something big to be planning it this early!
-
I cut mine when I got my iPhone, far too impatient to wait for a cutter or new SIM. As long as you have sharp scissors and cut really carefully, its easy
-
Looks like you need to ask Starkey Button to add your domain to their whitelist! Is it just happening with emails sent to that domain?
-
Article: EduGeek at BETT 2013 - Parat iPad Cube
sidewinder replied to Domino's topic in Legacy CMS Comments
Ah yeah looks a lot better! Anyone know the rough price of one of these by the way? -
Show him that it's possible to securely wipe a disk and pretty much all the scare stories he's heard are because people just haven't bothered wiping it. Then sell it for him. If you're trying to find a use for it, you don't need it
-
Article: Presenting the EduGeek App for Android and iOS
sidewinder replied to ZeroHour's topic in Legacy CMS Comments
Just installed the IOS version - very nice Something extra to keep me occupied on the train! -
On our old system, all the cordless phones were analogue ones, though they were in locations which didn't need things like voicemail so maybe it was just a cost issue. Like you, I'd find it hard to believe there are NONE available
-
Article: EduGeek at BETT 2013 - Parat iPad Cube
sidewinder replied to Domino's topic in Legacy CMS Comments
It's a neat design apart from the above flaws. The wall mounting is just bizarre...perhaps there is a bracket which goes up first although it doesn't look like it. And there should be another way for the cables to run. And yes the slide out bit looks a bit flimsy, I'd want a secure anchoring point somewhere -
I may well have got the least freebies - one pen and a lanyard
