-
Posts
557 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Protec
-
[bromcom] Staff cannot type into free comment fields
Protec replied to CarterUSM's topic in MIS Systems
Try what is mentioned here? https://www.thewindowsclub.com/cannot-type-into-text-fields-chrome-firefox -
How many VMs are you running these days ?
Protec replied to Jcx500's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
What do you have running on them all? -
Things that could have been improved before being approved...
Protec replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Hmmm not a song I'm familiar with Usually Radio 1 is descent other than some certain times. I often find other radio stations are too repetitive with lots of annoying ads and jingles. -
I can see that catching a few less tech-savvy people out! Even the URL doesn't look "that" out of the ordinary.
-
Things that could have been improved before being approved...
Protec replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
-
I have the VS350 and it's still working after almost 5 years of daily use and my PC is on all day. I have also used a VS350 for a recent Dell Optiplex 3010 upgrade. My computer (Optiplex 7010) is from late 2013 so it's getting a bit old but it's still perfectly fast enough for me, it's got 16gb RAM, SSD and 750 Ti Graphics Card which is good enough for me.
-
The stock cooler will probably be fine. As for power supplies the Corsair ones have been good in my experience.
-
At the last school, the speakers were all 100v and were made by InterM. They were only used for announcements. The schools bells were Gent electronic bells which were also used as fire bells.
-
My CCTV PC is a Dell Optiplex 3010. I upgraded the C drive with an SSD and of course it didn't fit in the 3.5" hot swap bay. Dell offer an adapter but I wasn't going to pay for that! By using a few cable ties, it's in securely!
-
Can anyone get this video to play?
Protec replied to kennysarmy's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
https://streamable.com/yye0jg -
Just thought I'd share with everyone how I have the storage set up in my home. I put together a computer from random spares: Asus K30AD Case (I stripped out the original parts) Gigabyte Motherboard (bought back in 2014 but never used until now) Intel Pentium (from Lenovo Thinkcentre) 4GB RAM (from scrap motherboard) Dell PSU (from one of the Dell computers) SSD (from scrap computer) 500gb Seagate HDD (from old Sky+HD Box) 500gb WD HDD (from old Dell computer) The computer has Windows 10 Pro on it. The SSD is the C drive and the 2 500GB HDDs are set up as a storage pool and set to do a two-way mirror. The drive is then shared on the network and I use remote desktop to change settings, etc if I have to. The PC just has power and ethernet going to it. Quite happy with how it turned out and it works fine and it was cheap too.
-
Applocker?
-
Just curious, how many people have this enabled on the lock screen.
-
I have always preferred using an OEM PC and upgrading it. It's much cheaper and you can get good performance. A few years ago, I bought a Dell Optiplex 7010 and upgraded the RAM to make it 16gb, installed a Kingston SSD, Corsair VS350 PSU, 2 HDDs and a Asus GTX 750 Ti and even now, it works perfectly for the things I do on it.
-
I booted up my PC today and the icons go black as shown in the image when I hover over them. After a few seconds, the background goes black. I went to the background settings and I found that for some reason, the background had been changed to solid colour, black (not by me). Not sure why this would happen, anyone have any idea?
-
The surge of power is bad for filament based lights mainly. When the light is first turned on, the filament can take on a high amount of current as it's cold. When we switched to a dimmer switch, the bulbs lasted much longer due to the soft starting. It was also less likely to trip the breaker as the current was much lower on start-up. Fluorescent lights also greatly benefit in terms of lifetime when they are left on for long hours or even 24/7. In the old school, the fluorescent lights that were left on all day lasted much longer than the ones that were on a PIR motion sensor - turning on and off all time time. The main killer for LEDs is heat and being overdriven. If manufactures use poor cooling, the LEDs will overheat meaning the lifetime will be reduced. It was can also cause colour shift since the phosphors degrade from the heat. LEDs being overdriven can also cause these issues. It's common for manufacturers to overdrive the LEDs to get more brightness out of them, so they don't have to install more LEDs. LEDs aren't effected by flashing, though if the driver that is powering them is poorly designed then a high amount of switching may cause the lifetime to be reduced. However, heat and being overdriven is a much more significant factor. I still prefer to use fluorescent lights where I can due to their reliability. Although I'm interested in IT, I am also interested in electronics and lighting. I have a road sign light manufactured in 9/1976 and it ran more or less 24/7 all it's life and still works, just requiring new tubes every now and again. We have some LED lighting around the house such as downstairs in a ceiling lights with candle shaped bulbs. I have found the best brand for LED lights is Diall (from B&Q). Wilko ones can be a bit hit and miss though the worst are definitely the ones that have little LED "filaments" inside of them with mine lasting just 2 months. So basically, I'd try and get LED lights made by Diall as they seem to be the best. If you have existing fluorescent lights that still work, I wouldn't rip them out any time soon! I have had better lifetime from the old CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lamp) Philips Genie lights than some of the new LED lights we have had. I have an ASDA CFL that gets use for a short time everyday that is from 14/4/2014 and it's still going strong. I also had a Philips Genie 8w last 10 years to the month. It was used in a table lamp. Wilko: 28/9/19 - 24/11/19 This is the inside of a failed Philips LED light. This failed after around 1 year of nightly use. The burned LED can be seen. I measured the temperature of this lamp when it was working and it read over 80c which is way to hot. Wilko's own display shows their LED lights dropping like flies! Some poor quality LED lights are also used in emergency light such as exit signs rather worryingly. I have an LED one in the man cave and it's a descent make. It's been going since 23/3/2018 and it's on 24/7. This one runs at just 30c which is why it's lasting quite well so far. Though saying that, when the LEDs do burn out eventually, the entire fitting will have to be replaced. Unlike the old fluorescent ones which would just need a simple tube replacement.
-
I have had quite a few LED lights fail around my house. A Philips one lasted around 1 year of nightly use and a Wilko one lasted 2 months of light use in the kitchen. I have seen horrendous failure rates in commercial environments too. This picture is a bit blurry but I took the picture to show how the new LED lights have failed after around 12 months of use. This shopping centre used to have lots of fluorescent lights and they worked perfectly and had done for at least 15 years. There was nothing wrong with them when they were removed. They installed these LED lights and they're already dying after around 12 months of use! 4 are broken out of this handful. The other emergency LED bulkheads on the stairs are failing too. The LED ones use less power yes, but any saving have gone out of the window since they will have to be replaced. The LED ones have non-replaceable LEDs. I have fluorescent fittings from 1990 that ran 24/7 and still work...
-
It might be worth getting some new fittings though, I would get ones that have replaceable bulbs and not the new LED ones that have non-replaceable LEDs.
-
What do the fittings look like? Are they recessed downlighters?
-
Maybe you just need to use the "long neck" variety of GU10 bulbs. Something like this maybe? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sylvania-0026585-RefLED-ES50L-Light/dp/B079VJYBRZ/ref=pd_lpo_60_t_0/257-1619527-9493048
-
I think the best thing to do is to tell people to be wary of random phone calls and not to give out personal information unless they can be sure the person they are talking to is genuine.
-
Today, my one of my parents told me about how they received a phone call from "Sky" saying that they are "reducing the cost of sky box breakdown cover" and they they will need bank details. The call likely came from India if the accent of the caller is anything to go by! The person on the phone said that this is the only day that the offer is on after he realised his scam wasn't getting very far. Not sure how they got the home phone number, probably some company selling phone numbers or a leak of phone numbers would be my first guess.
