CommodoreS Posted February 3, 2012 Posted February 3, 2012 I am looking into Encryption Software for Office PCs, Staff Laptops and USB Memory Pens. And perhaps the Server and Backups. I have two pieces of software: TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux and CE-Infosys : FREE CompuSec PC Security Suite I am very vaguely familiar with TrueCrypt and have never used Free CompuSec ®. My question is for Office PCs and Staff Laptops what are others using and what is the best solution? It would also be useful to know if there are any step-by-step guides for both pieces of software, and if it is possible to encrypt a drive without loosing all data. For USB Memory Pens reading that with TrueCrypt you need to install the software on every machine you are going to use it on, or need administrator rights when running it in Portable Mode scares me slightly. I am not sure if Free CompuSec would also need software installed before the drives can be accessed. The other possibility I am looking into is purchasing Hardware Encrypted USB Pens, but am unsure if I will run into the same problems as software encryption, with administrator rights being needed or software needing to be installed beforehand. Of course being a network the staff and students are pretty locked down, although I have also found this software which I think might get around the administrator rights problem somehow: Runas Password I'd also appreciate peoples views on Encryption for Win 2008 R2 and options. For backups I noticed that the latest version of BackupAssist now has TrueCrypt integration, which I tried as a test but it errored out. The documentation seems a big vague (to me) and I am wondering if backup devices need to be encrypted before the truecrypt feature in BackupAssist can be used. Of course someone might know a better method I am not aware of, and I appreciate any help or advice.
FN-GM Posted February 3, 2012 Posted February 3, 2012 What client OS are you using? have you considered BitLocker? There is an MSI installer on here that will allow you to run Truecrypt portable without admin rights.
CommodoreS Posted February 5, 2012 Author Posted February 5, 2012 I will be using a mixture of Win XP SP3 and Win 7 Pro, so BitLocker is not really an option. Do you have a link to the MSI installer you mentioned please?
hit Posted February 5, 2012 Posted February 5, 2012 It's here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/downloads/88505-truecrypt-7-1-msi.html
FN-GM Posted February 5, 2012 Posted February 5, 2012 I will be using a mixture of Win XP SP3 and Win 7 Pro, so BitLocker is not really an option. Do you have a link to the MSI installer you mentioned please? I would still use Bitlocker on your 7 machines. Its makes things far easier for the end user.
roundakela Posted February 6, 2012 Posted February 6, 2012 I Used Rohos Mini Drive for our school pens/flash/usb drives (Rohos » Rohos Mini Drive) Works a treat, easy to install and set up AND it installs a mini version of itself on the pen so you can access your secured data on any PC. (I know it works, use it all the time). This works by formatting your drive into a visible and hidden partition (you choose the size) and you can set the password. For the technophobic/forgetful staff you can even create a restore disk, just in case they forget their password! Their documentation is terrific and easy to follow. Longest part of teh job was formatting the sticks! BEST BIT IS IT's FREE!!! ANy questions just ask or check their website. Uses same security levels as trycrypt etc.
cneilson6 Posted February 24, 2012 Posted February 24, 2012 Hi CommodoreS I have just been tasked with something similar, how have you been getting on with this? which way have your choosen to go?
martin1327 Posted May 16, 2012 Posted May 16, 2012 Hi I have been given this too, i am interested to find what other software is being used..
mats Posted May 16, 2012 Posted May 16, 2012 We've given staff kingston encrypted drives at one school. Some staff complain that they're too slow and want to use their old non-encrypted ones. At another school, they use truecrypt with a batch file to open / close the encrypted drives. It's down to the staff to actually use it instead of the little free space (deliberately) left on the drive. In both cases, I'm quite clear that they are expected to use the encrypted drive for data relating to the kids and the penalties for losing said data. It also covers my a$$ to a degree - I've given them tools and instructions on how to use them so don't come after me if they lose important data. 1
martin1327 Posted May 16, 2012 Posted May 16, 2012 Thanks Mats I am going to have a look at truecrypt, i also downloaded some info on Rohos and bitlocker. i will see how i get on
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now