itguy22 Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 Hello. Can anyone suggest a good quality laptop for staff use. Needs to perform well but most importanltly needs to be of a good build quality. We have had too many laptops that decided to break soon as warranty is over. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks
3s-gtech Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 Lenovo Thinkpads are usually tough as old boots, and they look nice and dull too - helps with anti-theft! The HP Elitebook series also has some tough units, with stronger cases, ports, hinges etc.
Millgate Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 I agree with @3s-gtech. I'd also throw Toshiba is the mix if you don't want to spend big bucks. Something like the C660-2DR for sub £350 is a decent purchase!
itguy22 Posted January 30, 2012 Author Posted January 30, 2012 Thanks, probably looking in the sub £500 price tag.
Millgate Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 Sub £500 i would go for the HP 4530s. I5, 4gb, Win 7 pro, 500gb, 15.6". Popular laptop
BHMS Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 I bought 14 x Thinkpad Edge 13 (AMD version) for staff here but they have refreshed the line since then. Some have had some screws fall out which I wasn't too happy with but other than that staff are really happy with them. I'd go for HP 4330s for around £500. Aluminium in the right places. Reviews say they are solid for the price. Only thing missing is ESATA or USB 3 for a fast external drive.
3s-gtech Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 ^^The Edge series are the 'budget' Thinkpads, to IBM/Lenovo purists they're not counted as 'true' Thinkpads. Still nice machines for the money though. Some suppliers can get very decent deals on second-hand TPs and similar if you shop around - I won't state which suppliers as it's a little unfair to those I forget to mention.
jamesfed Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 I'll always go for a Lenovo if I want something truely robust - with HP as its 1 point below (ProBook B/S series). I wouldn't go for Sony or Samsung - too much gloss and not enough stablity in the cases.
CyberNerd Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 +1 Lenovo. Their support/warranty is really good as well. Toshiba would be my #2
synaesthesia Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 PC World Business have had some cracking deals on Lenovo's recently, might be worth a look. Account setup lead times are terribly long though. 1
tomgrindle Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 Have you had a look at Ergo? Absolutely brilliant company. Laptops are really rugged and well made and prices are quite competitive against the spec, warranty and support. Support is absolutely brilliant, can't fault it. 3 or 5 year warranties usually included and they offer telephone support even when the warranty has ran out.
RTFM Posted January 31, 2012 Posted January 31, 2012 The one @Millgate recommended is the one we have been buying lately and its a very nice laptop
alan-d Posted January 31, 2012 Posted January 31, 2012 We've been using Stone NT303s. The warranty support is excellent, if you ever need them that is. Samsung Optical Slim DVDRW Sata Drive Stone NT303 15.6inch with TPM 6 cell battery 240 Intel Pentium Dual Core T4500 2.30GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB Cache 45NM CPU Samsung 250Gb 5400RPM 2.5 inch SATA 2 Hard Drive Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Intel 1000G Wireless 112BN.HMWG 802.11 b/g/n Half Height Card Stone NB 3 Yr NBD OSW
RTFM Posted January 31, 2012 Posted January 31, 2012 I'd also throw Toshiba is the mix if you don't want to spend big bucks. Something like the C660-2DR for sub £350 is a decent purchase! One of our feeder primaries we support had a C660-2F5 from @Millgate and it's a very nice piece of kit. It's sat on my desk now being imaged
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now