vote-for-pedro Posted July 12, 2010 Posted July 12, 2010 Hi All Right i've just got a load of loverly Lenovo's for our office, of course capita in their wisdom don't support new technology until its too late (im talking 64bit OS here) If I use FMS on a 64bit Win 7 and I use BDE express for vista so the borland error goes away what problem am I going to face? Capita wont support me but will I lose data using this method, it all seems to be working great and I really dont want to downgrade to 32bit windows. Has anyone else made FMS work on a 64bit win 7 setup. Please give me your thoughts. TA
matt40k Posted July 12, 2010 Posted July 12, 2010 Yes, what's the problem? They install the 32bit client that runs on 64bit Windows. Personally I would still use 32bit Windows.
superfletch Posted July 12, 2010 Posted July 12, 2010 (edited) Hi All of course capita in their wisdom don't support new technology until its too late (im talking 64bit OS here) Capita have already supported several 64 Bit OS'es for some time. You really should be fine. Although I agree with Matt, my personal preference for your peace of mind would be clients running a 32 bit OS - for now. Edited July 12, 2010 by superfletch
3s-gtech Posted September 10, 2010 Posted September 10, 2010 Just an update on this - is there a better method yet? I've tried the BDE Express program (though it's only a trial version), and I get the usual error you'd get if SQL Server Native Client isn't installed, but it's on. This is on Windows 7 x64. I know it's unsupported by Capita, but 7 has been out 12 months now, about time it was...I have got the System Manager etc to work fine by replacing DLLs from earlier versions, but FMS won't as the Borland Databse Engine won't run.
timzim Posted September 10, 2010 Posted September 10, 2010 As matt explained earlier - if you install FMS on a 64-bit machine it'll install the 32-bit Borland Engine, which then allows FMS to run. You don't need the 64-bit engine: just run SIMS InfrastructureSetup and tick the box for FMS. 2
3s-gtech Posted September 10, 2010 Posted September 10, 2010 (edited) Ha, you're right. I use a script to install SIMS normally, and our LEA support say to install FMS with SIMS\Setups\FMS\FMSApplicationSetup.exe which doesn't work! Edited September 10, 2010 by 3s-gtech
matt40k Posted September 11, 2010 Posted September 11, 2010 My guess would be your still on sql2005, as your setups directory sounds out of date. When you do the migration, you'll get a new simsinfsetup, this will do it all for you. Other option is to get hold of the latest installable media and use fmsinst.
3s-gtech Posted September 13, 2010 Posted September 13, 2010 Nope, we're on SQL2008. We don't migrate ourselves, done by LEA support. FMS now loads and runs lovely. Just for local admin though, for domain users the Suppliers list won't open (error message), even with all permissions opened up. Grrr!
teejay Posted September 13, 2010 Posted September 13, 2010 Nope, we're on SQL2008. We don't migrate ourselves, done by LEA support. FMS now loads and runs lovely. Just for local admin though, for domain users the Suppliers list won't open (error message), even with all permissions opened up. Grrr! That's a permissions problem, we had the same. Capitas recommendation is to give the user local admin rights and it will go away, grrrr.
PhilNeal Posted September 13, 2010 Posted September 13, 2010 Please tell me who in Capita is recommending local admin rights. Thanks
teejay Posted September 13, 2010 Posted September 13, 2010 Please tell me who in Capita is recommending local admin rights. Thanks Your helpdesk for fixing the problem with FMS not displaying the suppliers list. I'll try and dig out the support ref and pm it to you.
PhilNeal Posted September 13, 2010 Posted September 13, 2010 Much appreciated - I will follow up once I have the details. 1
Heebeejeebee Posted September 13, 2010 Posted September 13, 2010 ... I think one of your KB articles does as well. I noticed it when trying to find a solution to a problem when installing FMS on a W7 box. If I can remember what the error was I'll try to find the KB. HBJB
3s-gtech Posted September 14, 2010 Posted September 14, 2010 Found the solution. Set the Finance .exe to run as administrator (in the Compatibility tab), then set it to run in Windows XP SP3 mode. The suppliers list now loads for doamin users!
phughes Posted May 15, 2012 Posted May 15, 2012 As matt explained earlier - if you install FMS on a 64-bit machine it'll install the 32-bit Borland Engine, which then allows FMS to run. You don't need the 64-bit engine: just run SIMS InfrastructureSetup and tick the box for FMS. Thanks buddy. Easy fix!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now