mattx Posted June 2, 2010 Posted June 2, 2010 Some of you may know that a few weeks ago we captured a bee swarm - those are doing nicely in the hive we got for them - today took a walk and found some more !! Yipee !! The next swarm I'm taking home with me for my garden.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbRdFO5w_QE http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1302/4663640533_979f2259cd.jpg
elsiegee40 Posted June 2, 2010 Posted June 2, 2010 Another contribution to zoo-keeper mattx's menagerie! Enjoy the honey
SC-UK Posted June 2, 2010 Posted June 2, 2010 Looks like the perfect thing to leave in a particularly annoying colleagues car!
TechMonkey Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 So what is it? Is it just a homeless bunch of bees travelling around together?
pete Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 "And it was on this day that mattx embarked on the road to Evil Overlord-ism....." So what is it? Is it just a homeless bunch of bees travelling around together? "Spare some change for some nectar, Guv?"
GangrelChilde Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 I fancy giving beekeeping a go. How do I start?
jamesb Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 I fancy giving beekeeping a go. How do I start? This might be worth a look - Beekeeping - First Steps to be a Beekeeper - How to Get Started in Beekeeping - thedailygreen.com 1
mattx Posted June 3, 2010 Author Posted June 3, 2010 Just an update - the lot we got yesterday swarmed again - just spent the last hour getting them back !! This time made up a slightly better temp hive - will show you pics later. I'm off to the chemist to get some Piriton as I was stung yesterday and my arm has swelled quite a bit and I feel rather ill. Quite weird considering I've been stung loads of times already this year !!
SYNACK Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 Interesting that you hav so many bees flying about homeless I wonder what is causing it. I'm off to the chemist to get some Piriton as I was stung yesterday and my arm has swelled quite a bit and I feel rather ill. Quite weird considering I've been stung loads of times already this year !! Anyhow I would keep a close eye on this as certain allergies can be compounding and you can start to develop them after lots of exposure to the allergin BEE STINGS - Allergy Guide meaning that if you are begining to be affected like that you may need to be more careful about bee stings in future. 1
Fuzzz Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 Interesting that you hav so many bees flying about homeless I wonder what is causing it. It's them cellphones I tell you!
mattx Posted June 3, 2010 Author Posted June 3, 2010 As promised some videos - will get pictures off later - managed to get a Docs appointment for this evening as yesterday's sting on my arm has not improved, it's red raw and itchy and I feel like krap which is rather odd. Here we are - walking down with them to the new hive. http://www.youtube.com/mattx27#p/u/0/6X9IGqef1Jo Placing them into the new hive. http://www.youtube.com/mattx27#p/u/1/SU0KsxsxunA Watching the bees fanning the entrance.... http://www.youtube.com/mattx27#p/u/3/LPlrmj7NyaQ 1
elsiegee40 Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 It sounds like you need a beekeeper's suit.. and possibly an epi pen. Don't wait for the doctor's appointment if you feel you are getting worse; go straight to A&E. I'm horribly alleregic to stings: - bee stings respond well to a baking soda and water paste - wasp stings to vinegar When having to increase the level of treatment - hydrocortisone cream works well. Hope you feel better soon.
mattx Posted June 3, 2010 Author Posted June 3, 2010 It sounds like you need a beekeeper's suit.. and possibly an epi pen. Don't wait for the doctor's appointment if you feel you are getting worse; go straight to A&E. I'm horribly alleregic to stings: - bee stings respond well to a baking soda and water paste - wasp stings to vinegar When having to increase the level of treatment - hydrocortisone cream works well. Hope you feel better soon. Strange thing though, I've been stung over 5 times over the past 6 to 8 weeks and only this time it's made me feel ill and the area around the sting red, very warm and itchy. I've been stung on the head, on my arm, on my chest not really bothered me, this time it has really got to me which I just can't work out why. It's all very odd. 1
elsiegee40 Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 You can't have an allergic reaction to something on first contact. The reaction happens after subsequent exposures. Five stings is quite a lot and your body has clearly decided to start objecting to them. With me I swell and feel ill - my father got breathing difficulties after a bee sting and had to be hospitalised. Take care!
waldronm2000 Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 May be nature's way of suggesting you give swarms of bees a wide berth!
mattx Posted June 3, 2010 Author Posted June 3, 2010 May be nature's way of suggesting you give swarms of bees a wide berth! Never - enjoy it too much !! Got Docs in a few hours - getting pins and needles in my arm now.
SYNACK Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 Never - enjoy it too much !! Got Docs in a few hours - getting pins and needles in my arm now. Hmm, do you have any antihistamines floating around (hay fever medication) as this should help with it if it is an allergic reaction and may make the wait for the doctor more tollerable.
mattx Posted June 3, 2010 Author Posted June 3, 2010 Panic over - it's cellulitis - so have some really strong antibiotics to take, plus a large dose of Piriton which has made me rather tired.
jamesmay Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 Bees swarming is not a random act.... It's main cause is the hive creating a new queen because the old queen isn't being very efficient at laying eggs and the 2 queens not being able to co exist within the same hive. The old queen leaves the hive with a couple of thousand worker bees (also female) and this is a swarm. They look for somewhere sheltered from rain in a bush, tree or flat roof. It's a better bit more complicated than this but u get the jist of it. Swarming is usually caused by poor/irregular colony inspection where queen cells are not removed or checked often enough James Medway and County Kent beekeeper association swarm liaison officer (this week only)
jamesmay Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 What can change the way the string feels is the the way u remove the sting, some time the sting can just hurt due to the barbed string breaking ur skin, but your also take a bit of venom and depending on amount of venom the worse the sting can feel. Worse place to get stung is the jugular, soft squiggly skin and the venom gets into you bloody supply very quickly!
jamesmay Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 And best thing to put on a sting? Local honey from ur local beekeeper- natures antiseptic
jamesmay Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 BEDFORDSHIRE BEEKEEPERS - NEW BEEKEEPERS START HERE Interested in beekeeping? Most local beekeeping societies run beginners courses so you can have a go, learn what's going on and also gain mentors to help you get a hive and learn how to manage it. Here in medway we have an association apiary where we have a stock of hives that we can demonstrate with and beginners have a go and gain experience and get a taste for it. Most associations also should have some kit like the suit, hive tool, smoker for beginners to borrow so u won't have to shell out straight away and also have public liability insurance!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now