Hightower Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 Firstly, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so please move it if not At our school certain teachers hold fundraisers every so often which always include the odd game of bingo. They needed a bingo machine, and after looking on the web with no luck I decided to write my own. Initially I wrote it in PHP (as that was my tipple of choice) but now I'm starting to learn my way around VB.net (upgrade from VB6 haha) I thought I'd rewrite it so I can install it on our laptops that are used in these events. Anyhow, long story short is, I've attached my application for anyone and everyone to use how they please. It's written in VB.net 2008 and is a simple bingo machine (calls a random number from 1 - 90, and stores that number so bingo cards can be checked as correct at the end of a game). All feedback appreciated Thanks, 2
EduTech Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 Thanks for that! never know it may come in usful... Do you have a Gambling Licence ;) next you'll be making roulette etc lol
Hightower Posted March 10, 2010 Author Posted March 10, 2010 I'm getting a corrupt file message. Downloading the file, or trying to open the exe? This is the first time I've ever tried to distribute a VB application. Well I did with VB6 and that was a pain...
EduTech Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 There will be nothing wrong with your App Mate, basically on EduGeek sometimes when using IE and downloading zipped files it corrupts them. I'll flag this up to ZH again just incase he misses the thread, but if you could maybe add it to an alternative link it will work. James.
Hightower Posted March 10, 2010 Author Posted March 10, 2010 There will be nothing wrong with your App Mate, basically on EduGeek sometimes when using IE and downloading zipped files it corrupts them. I'll flag this up to ZH again just incase he misses the thread, but if you could maybe add it to an alternative link it will work. James. Ahh right - any tips on sites to upload to? (Softpedia etc?)
vikpaw Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 Ahh right - any tips on sites to upload to? (Softpedia etc?) Windows Live, if you have an MSN account / passport you get a massive space to dump files, called SkyDrive or something and you can give public access rights...
EduTech Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 Download it from here: Bingo.zip - Windows Live James. 1
ZeroHour Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 I'm getting a corrupt file message. Is that using IE?
powdarrmonkey Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 How do you feel about opening the source as free software? Happy to help with the technicalities if you need it.
Hightower Posted March 10, 2010 Author Posted March 10, 2010 How do you feel about opening the source as free software? Happy to help with the technicalities if you need it. I'm really for Open Source software, and will release it as that as soon as I get the code looking nice. It works at the moment, but I would like to go through the code with a fine tooth comb to make sure it's all good. Just in the process of porting this to Windows Mobile devices too - just for the hell of it
Little-Miss Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 (edited) How wierd! I got asked yesterday for something to generate bingo numbers and i just gave then this website Bingo Caller Online but your is even better!!! Edited March 10, 2010 by Little-Miss
Edu-IT Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 Can you change the voice of the caller like you can on Sat Nav systems?
Hightower Posted March 10, 2010 Author Posted March 10, 2010 How wierd! I got asked yesterday for something to generate bingo numbers and i just gave then this website Bingo Caller Online but your is even better!!! Doesn't match with 'proper' bingo (as I know it though) as just had a number as high as 127!
Hightower Posted March 10, 2010 Author Posted March 10, 2010 Can you change the voice of the caller like you can on Sat Nav systems? I could integrate a voice to shout the numbers out as part of a future update if people will find that useful? Just need a model for the voice as my gruff geordie accent will be no good.
powdarrmonkey Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 I'm really for Open Source software, Careful with your terminology: Why “Free Software” is better than “Open Source” - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF) (of course I can't insist on anything, but please consider a truly free license rather than just an open one (I'm looking at you, CC-BY-ND)). and will release it as that as soon as I get the code looking nice. It works at the moment, but I would like to go through the code with a fine tooth comb to make sure it's all good. I don't blame you Remember to get the grant statements of whichever license you choose* clear in the top of the source files for maximum clarity. *powdarrmonkey's recommendations: GPL if you want to maximise the freedom of other projects; three-clause BSD if you don't mind your work being used in closed derivatives
Hightower Posted March 10, 2010 Author Posted March 10, 2010 So I've ported the application to a mobile device, but I'm not sure how to package it up for deployment? Any ideas? I've published it and I'm left with an .exe and two other files in the bin/release folder. How do I convert these to .cab (as I think this is how Windows Mobile installs) and then ultimately package them up into an .msi so .cab installation is automatic?
bossman Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 @Hightower: Just need a model for the voice as my gruff geordie accent will be no good. Howaayyyy Man who ya tryin ta kid? Last time I spoke tu ya, ya had a higher pitch voice than Joe Pasquali hehe!! 1
webman Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 Last time I spoke tu ya, ya had a higher pitch voice than Joe Pasquali hehe!! ♫ I know a voice that'll get on yer nerves, get on yer nerves, get on yer nerves.... (Not implying yours does Hightower - just the mention of that name brought that song back)
Little-Miss Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 Doesn't match with 'proper' bingo (as I know it though) as just had a number as high as 127! Lol no, i think that was I27...correct me if im wrong but im sure it only goes up to 75....but as i said i like yours better and it was exactly what i was looking for!!
Hightower Posted March 10, 2010 Author Posted March 10, 2010 Not implying yours does Hightower Don't worry - my voice gets on my own nerves!
SYNACK Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 So I've ported the application to a mobile device, but I'm not sure how to package it up for deployment? Any ideas? I've published it and I'm left with an .exe and two other files in the bin/release folder. How do I convert these to .cab (as I think this is how Windows Mobile installs) and then ultimately package them up into an .msi so .cab installation is automatic? The CAB is just for easy installs, all you need to do if it is compiled as a windows mobile app is drop the .exe on the device and open if from file explorer on the device itself, it should just run if compiled right.
Hightower Posted March 10, 2010 Author Posted March 10, 2010 The CAB is just for easy installs, all you need to do if it is compiled as a windows mobile app is drop the .exe on the device and open if from file explorer on the device itself, it should just run if compiled right. Is there any easy way to make these CAB's for easy deployment though - even if just for my own learning?
Edu-IT Posted March 10, 2010 Posted March 10, 2010 Okay, lets do an X Factor style audition for the voice of the balls.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now