alan-d Posted December 6, 2009 Posted December 6, 2009 I'm in the market for a new phone but I'm losing my mind over which one to go for Preferably a Windows mobile so I can retire my HP PDA I do a lot of hill walking so a GPS system, probably using google earth would be handy So far I'm down to these; Nokia N97mini (I know it's not Win Mob!) HTC Touch Diamond2 - (If I can find one to look at! ) HTC Touch 2 HTC Touch2 Pro is out of my price range. Blackberrys look too bulky and I don't like the keyboards being open. I don't really care for LG either I'm not really interested in the camera as I carry a ton of DLSR photo equipment with me Any recommendations for the above or any others that may fit the bill?
Midget Posted December 6, 2009 Posted December 6, 2009 touch diamond 2 is rubbish according the person in work who has one, touchHD2 is the one I would go for if i had to have one. 1ghz snapdragon cpu vs the rubbish 500mhz qualcomm ones. If I HAD to get a smartphone I'd get an E72 which has GPS TbT nav, mail for exchange, and office mobile suite, but then I can't live with just touchscreens on my phone. Don't get a blackberry. 1
alan-d Posted December 6, 2009 Author Posted December 6, 2009 Most gps systems on phones tend to use tomtom style maps which are ok in towns but useless in the hills where it just shows green. The gps systems that do have proper maps are mega bucks for the device then a billion bucks for a map of a small area which is why I'm looking for one I can use Google earth on. I'm afraid the E72 does nothing for me, but thanks for the input
EduTech Posted December 6, 2009 Posted December 6, 2009 I have the HTC Touch HD, but really want the HTC Touch HD 2 lol! There are a number of threads on this topic so i suggest you do a quick search and read other thoughts posted in other topics. EduGeek Search is Powerfull!
ChrisH Posted December 6, 2009 Posted December 6, 2009 If your looking for good Google Earth support then you might want to look at an Android based phone. 1
Dos_Box Posted December 6, 2009 Posted December 6, 2009 (edited) Motorola Droid, out over here any day now: DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Motorola USA Shaun put me onto this as I'm getting very hacked off with my Touch HD and Windows Mobile 6.1, and he's fallen out of love with his iPhone! We are paying a visit to the PC Advisor offices in London on Wednesday and hopefully they will have a couple of Android phones for us to play with. Edited December 6, 2009 by Dos_Box 1
alan-d Posted December 7, 2009 Author Posted December 7, 2009 (edited) Motorola Droid, out over here any day now: DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Motorola USA Shaun put me onto this as I'm getting very hacked off with my Touch HD and Windows Mobile 6.1, and he's fallen out of love with his iPhone! We are paying a visit to the PC Advisor offices in London on Wednesday and hopefully they will have a couple of Android phones for us to play with. I saw this on my hunt around but was concerned that the big companies were not supplying it. Looks like it could do the job so I'd be interested on your thoughts if you get to see it. Apparently Win Mob 6.5 has improved things a lot but I admit I've not read what the improvements are yet! Edited December 7, 2009 by alan-d
Quackers Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 I've got a Nokia N900 which is a Linux Internet Tablet with a phoned strapped on. Very geeky, had it running Quake 3 Arena multiplayer against somebody on a PC.
Face-Man Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 In the words of highlander " There can be only I" phone....
bossman Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 @alan-d: I too am having a dilema, quite fancied the Blackberry 9700 Bold but then saw 2 phones which turned my head. The first one was the G2 t-mobile android phone which doubles as the HTC touch pro from orange and the other was the Nokia E71 which has the fully buttoned querty keyboard a little like the Balckberry. TBH can't seem to make my mind up but think it may be the G2 through t-mobile. 2
alan-d Posted December 7, 2009 Author Posted December 7, 2009 @ bossman And the other problem is finding out what is coming out in the new year which may be better than the one you get
JJonas Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 @ bossman And the other problem is finding out what is coming out in the new year which may be better than the one you get see HTC's 2010 roadmap goes on display? -- Engadget 1
bossman Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 @alan-d: Well I would presume that all the smartphone manafacturers would have their wares developed for the christmas market if they themselves are smart thinkers would you not agree, plus the G2 automatically upgrades for free as soon as there is an upgrade and it uses google maps for gps navigation which I find pretty cool. Had a little tinkle with it over the weekend and found it to be very good especially with the amount of apps available for it, all free of course unlike some of the other phones I could mention which confess to having apps for this and apps for that but obviously at a cost. Anyway will keep you posted. 1
EvLPhenom Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 @ alan-d - You know you want an iphone. Come and have a look at mine next time you in the office, and it has google maps.
Theblacksheep Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 vote for android here. free google navigation coming soon.
webman Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 The Motorola Droid looks good. It's available on a £35/month contract for £49.99, or £499.99 on its own, exclusively at Expansys. In the new year, finance permitting, I'm looking at moving to an Android-based phone. I like the G2, but will keep an eye on the market nearer the time
alan-d Posted December 7, 2009 Author Posted December 7, 2009 The Motorola Droid looks good. It's available on a £35/month contract for £49.99, or £499.99 on its own, exclusively at Expansys. In the new year, finance permitting, I'm looking at moving to an Android-based phone. I like the G2, but will keep an eye on the market nearer the time Added to my list of possibilities Still curious as to why O2 etc are not selling it
alan-d Posted December 7, 2009 Author Posted December 7, 2009 @ alan-d - You know you want an iphone. Come and have a look at mine next time you in the office, and it has google maps. 10 Squirrel points for using abusive language on a public forum 2
webman Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 Added to my list of possibilities Still curious as to why O2 etc are not selling it My complete guess is that they probably have more lucrative deals with their own semi-exclusive popular phones - the ones with all the TV marketing etc; such as the iPhone, HTCs and LGs. But whenever you get one, 6-12 months down the line another comparable handset will be released anyway - that's just technology 1
EvLPhenom Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 Nokia N900! Me likes the look of that. Whats the software like on it.
EvLPhenom Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 10 Squirrel points for using abusive language on a public forum oh...
alan-d Posted December 7, 2009 Author Posted December 7, 2009 My complete guess is that they probably have more lucrative deals with their own semi-exclusive popular phones - the ones with all the TV marketing etc; such as the iPhone, HTCs and LGs. But whenever you get one, 6-12 months down the line another comparable handset will be released anyway - that's just technology 6-12 months I can handle, it's when a better model comes out 2 months after I bought the old one
alan-d Posted December 7, 2009 Author Posted December 7, 2009 Me likes the look of that. Whats the software like on it. Looks big!!! I've only got little pockets
EvLPhenom Posted December 7, 2009 Posted December 7, 2009 Looks big!!! I've only got little pockets Theres a short review of it here - Nokia N900 quick hands-on -- Engadget Doesn't look to bad but on this vid the touch response doesn't look that great
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now