sidewinder Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 I discovered yesterday that Shockwave, required for parts of Multimedia Science School, has not been working when deployed. This is the official MSI obtained from Adobe. When you look at the event log on a client machine you get: 1606 error "Could not access network location". Theres plenty about the problem on the internet but nothing concrete for a fix, Ive even tried an MST I found here http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/pc/tech/shockwave_deploy.php But no success So has anyone got a working Shockwave MSI that deploys through group policy? Even if its version 9 or something The MSI works fine when you run it logged on
Ric_ Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 You can get this from the people at Adobe after signing up for a redistribution license (free). You may need to do some digging though. Since you need this license, I'm afraid I cannot send you the MSI.
plexer Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 There is quite a bit of info on appdeploy about this and the changes you need to make. Ben
sidewinder Posted September 8, 2006 Author Posted September 8, 2006 Ric yes thats the license Ive got, but the MSI they supply doesnt work when deployed, despite them saying it should Plexor Ive looked on there but everyone is saying to do different things and then still saying it doesnt work perfectly. Have you got a working MST? Is that where Im supposed to put the changes mentioned?
plexer Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 I've not done shockwave yet but I've got to so that's why I was looking. Ben
plexer Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 Just signed up for the redistribution licence so lets see.
plexer Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 Ok got the agreement through and went to download the msi and was greeted by a message saying the msi is currently not available for download is this because they know there is a problem with it I wonder. Ben
OverWorked Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 Ric yes thats the license Ive got, but the MSI they supply doesnt work when deployed, despite them saying it should I had the same trouble a while ago - I couldn't get their MSI for v10 to work, can't remember the details though. I ended up reverting to v 8.5, which does work. All the software we have works with this version.
Norphy Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 I found this transform file somewhere on the intarweb which lets you install Shockwave 10 with an MSI with a GPO.mst_205.zip
plexer Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 Well hopefully the fact that the msi for v10 is currently not available means that they are looking in to it??? Ben
glensc Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 I discovered yesterday that Shockwave, required for parts of Multimedia Science School, has not been working when deployed. So has anyone got a working Shockwave MSI that deploys through group policy? Even if its version 9 or something The MSI works fine when you run it logged on I've got it working through CC3, had to use a version of shockwave 8 from MMSS which they refered to as Shockwave 8 full, it's got a few bells and whictles in ot or something that MMSS needs to work fully. IIRC they've aslo got a shockwave10 extra, you should be able to get MMSS to send you the whole package(s) on CD if you ask nicely
contink Posted September 29, 2006 Posted September 29, 2006 Well this is frustrating... I have the license but not access to even a borked version for which there are copious fixes documented.. Anyone got an ETA on a new version coming out or a different approach to this.
ChrisH Posted September 29, 2006 Posted September 29, 2006 I think the normal installer has a /q option so you could try using that with the MSI wrapper. I install mine when the machine is RISed and that is installed froma silent setup.
contink Posted September 29, 2006 Posted September 29, 2006 I think the normal installer has a /q option so you could try using that with the MSI wrapper. I install mine when the machine is RISed and that is installed froma silent setup. yeah, I guess that's an option... I'd prefer to go with an MSI purely because it'll be easier to uninstall when an upgrade comes out but then Macromedias record on MSI's is a bit patchy in general so I guess this sort of thing is moot. Thanks for the hint Chris...
contink Posted September 29, 2006 Posted September 29, 2006 Hmm... ok... I've been looking at the wrapper script and realised that if I knew the command line switch for uninstallation I could include that in the wrapper for the uninstall. Any ideas?
ChrisH Posted September 29, 2006 Posted September 29, 2006 This tool should tell you about all the switches of a program.
contink Posted October 1, 2006 Posted October 1, 2006 This tool should tell you about all the switches of a program. I'd give you a hug but that'd be just embarrassing but thanks... Talk about making my life easier!
contink Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 This tool should tell you about all the switches of a program. Just as an update for you Chris... I've been trying that util and found that like many of the later posters on the linked thread, it doesn't work so it's not quite the nirvana i was hoping for. Thanks for the link all the same as I'm sure it'll be useful for legacy stuff but for newer installers, it's next to useless.
ChrisH Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 Ah well seemed to work ok on most of the stuff I tried. It must be all older stuff though
contink Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 Ah well seemed to work ok on most of the stuff I tried. It must be all older stuff though could be although I'm starting to suspect permissions and security patch issues given some of the programs I've tried it and Cmenu on.. None could be recognised... very odd.
alonebfg Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 I know this is a bit late in the day But i have been in contact with adobe refrance the above problem and this is there answer Dear Mr. ?????????, After considering your issue with regards to the shockwaveplayer distribution i regret to have to inform you that we do not support this particular problem as this concerns choices of security settings at your own school. You could try to find an answer to your particular problem in the instructions which came together with the msi' or you could try to get feedback from persons at the online forums at adobe.com or visit http://www.adobe.com/devnet/ for the developers network. I wish you good luck with the issue. Yours Sincerely, Antoine van Heck Adobe Technical Support I have since found out it might have somthing to do with explorer settings so i am still testing but hope to have a answer soon (maybe)
knapjack Posted January 25, 2007 Posted January 25, 2007 Per AppDeploy, under CustomAction, if you change the target in setPROFILE from: [%APPDATA]\Macromedia\Shockwave Player\ to: [AppDataFolder]\Macromedia\Shockwave Player\ it'll do what Adobe/Macromedia intended during a GPO install. I have noted that the fix works great for IE, but doesn't install the plugin for Firefox. Others have noted that they were unable to get the MSI to work, but I'm kicking it now, so we'll see.
cookie_monster Posted February 8, 2008 Posted February 8, 2008 I have a copy of the shockwave MSI that i have had deployed for a while now and it has worked fine ver 10.1.4.020. I remember altering the msi with Orca to iron out a couple of errors and i'm sure i remember turning off the Auto Update Service. I'm now trying to deploy 10.2.0.023 and again it works fine but i can't find where to turn off the auto update so at some point no doubt it will be prompting the students. Anyone know where to edit the msi to stop this?
cookie_monster Posted February 8, 2008 Posted February 8, 2008 Oh it all comes flooding back. It sets an entry in the HKCU registry so in the end i had to change the default profile.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now