tickmike Posted August 17, 2006 Posted August 17, 2006 Hello all. Windows 2000 pro. I'm just trying to create my first user mandatory profile, but on setting up the user computer I need to remove items from the system tray, eg. zonealarm ,avg.quick time.icons. Can someone please advise. Michael
drjturner Posted August 17, 2006 Posted August 17, 2006 You need to navigate to the registry to the following key HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION\RUN And remove what you don't want. Not sure why MSCONFIG was not shipped with win2k
NetworkGeezer Posted August 17, 2006 Posted August 17, 2006 You also have to ask why? Do you want reduce the number of process or just to simply the appearance of the GUI the user will see. If it's about processes then you can follow Dan's advice. You have to be sure though that these programs are not required at start up. If students and other non tech users are left in the Domain Users group then they won't be able to much from the system tray either.
tickmike Posted August 17, 2006 Author Posted August 17, 2006 Hello all. Sorry I did not say , But I want the programs to run in the back ground, but I do not want the pupils to open them from the system tray and change the settings. Michael
russdev Posted August 17, 2006 Posted August 17, 2006 arr that is another matter in which case need to give us a list as each software will be different russ
Ric_ Posted August 17, 2006 Posted August 17, 2006 To remove the programs you don't want running, download StartupCPL (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml ) - Dos_Box put me onto this and it's great. To unclutter the system tray takes a bit of trial and effort. As a helper, Quicktime icon can be removed by right-clicking on it and selecting preferences... advanced IIRC.
_Bob_ Posted August 17, 2006 Posted August 17, 2006 You can hide all system tray items using the following reg key in XP. Haven't a 2000 machine to hand to try it out with, so not sure if it will work for you. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer] "NoTrayItemsDisplay"=dword:00000001
tickmike Posted September 6, 2006 Author Posted September 6, 2006 Hello all . Sorry to open this post again but I still no sorted this problem out yet. Windows 2000 pro workstations. On users accounts the System tray Icons I still want to remove (but still want the program to run in the back ground ) AVG Anti Virus, Ultra VNC remote desktop viewer. I tried the suggestions above but do not work . I down loaded a bit of software to stop the system icons the only problem is you have to be on the users account to activate it. Any ideas please. No scripts please unless you give step by step idiots guide. From Michael.
Geoff Posted September 6, 2006 Posted September 6, 2006 You can hide all system tray items using the following reg key in XP. Haven't a 2000 machine to hand to try it out with, so not sure if it will work for you. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer] "NoTrayItemsDisplay"=dword:00000001 Theres a group policy setting for that (which may or may not be useful depending on if your in a server enviroment or not). "User Configuration → Administrative Templates → Start menu and Taskbar" locate "Hide the notification area" and set it to "Enabled".
pete Posted September 6, 2006 Posted September 6, 2006 it's useful to leave the network connectivity icon there for troubleshooting over the phone. edit: we enable the icon regardless of connection state, because a DHCP lease (or lack of) can be diagnosed by "are both little computers flashing blue?"
tickmike Posted September 6, 2006 Author Posted September 6, 2006 Hi .I'm on W2K at home and just done a reg. search but it can not find that key, must be for XP only. Re. Theres a group policy setting for that (which may or may not be useful depending on if your in a server enviroment or not). "User Configuration → Administrative Templates → Start menu and Taskbar" locate "Hide the notification area" and set it to "Enabled". Will this not turn off the task bar as well as system tray ?. Michael... ps.. I,m using server 2000 and good idea about network icon.
MkII Posted September 6, 2006 Posted September 6, 2006 To disable the VNC tray icon, you should start the "regedit" utility from the command line, go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\ folder, and create a DWORD parameter with the name "DisableTrayIcon" and the value "1". Then, after restarting WinVNC, the icon will not be shown anymore. HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\DisableTrayIcon DWORD "0" HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\DisableTrayIcon DWORD "1" The default is "0" and indicates that the tray icon should not be disabled. A value of "1" will suppress the tray icon for all users. Hope that works with UltraVNC - maybe the setting is similar. It works with TightVNC which is what I use. ____________________ The notification area isn't the Task Bar. I found that problematic [hiding the notification area] as you lose the little printer icon to edit the print queue for users - always useful to cancel a print jobs.
mac_shinobi Posted September 6, 2006 Posted September 6, 2006 startup control panel is my favourite from http://www.mlin.net
tickmike Posted September 6, 2006 Author Posted September 6, 2006 Hello All and thanks. Mark.. I will try that out on my test set up . Gecko..re ...startup control panel is my favourite from http://www.mlin.net I think this stops the program running which I do no want just remove the system tray icon. The GOOD news is I have found this software called PS Tray Factory from http://www.pssoftlab.com/ Looks like it will do the job . (I will let you know).. Bye.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now