Batman Posted July 10, 2009 Author Posted July 10, 2009 Wow, makes our server sound amazing... 2.8 gig P4, 1Gb RAM... Gigabit network
Geoff Posted July 10, 2009 Posted July 10, 2009 We have fog spread across two machines. Web GUI/TFTP is on one machine. A P4 2Ghz w/512mb ram and 32Gb SCSI Raid5 array and 100mbit networking. Storage is on another box, an AMD Sempron 2400+ w/1Gb ram and 250GB SATA, I also spoiled it with an Intel Etherexpress 1000/GT Pro nic.
Batman Posted July 10, 2009 Author Posted July 10, 2009 yeah can you do that as I have vmware fusion on my mac and would be handy to have an up to date version cheers Would you be happy with a Sun Virtualbox image? I've got pretty sick of trying to get VMWare to work!
mac_shinobi Posted July 10, 2009 Posted July 10, 2009 Would you be happy with a Sun Virtualbox image? I've got pretty sick of trying to get VMWare to work! no probs can easily enough download virtual box for mac and see if that will do it - take it you gonna upload it to an ftp server or something along those lines and download from there ?
Batman Posted July 10, 2009 Author Posted July 10, 2009 Yeah... although I've not gotten around to it yet so don't hold your breath 1
Ric_ Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 Just finished cloning my first successful machine with FOG. It is truely awesome!!! Machine got renamed and joined the domain (I have a special user with delegated rights for machine joining - no logon rights) as if by magic. The mobile interface works nicely on my HTC Touch Pro2 as well My only criticism is that they don't make it easy to install on Debian - so I used CentOS (Ubuntu isn't an officially supported XenServer OS). Once I'd finally got rid of SELINUX all went well EDIT - btw... I don't why you are having problems adding disk space. I just added another disk and mounted it as /images and then changed the path for the default storage in the web interface.
3s-gtech Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 ^^I found it very easy to install it on Debian, using apt-get (and I'm as green with Linux as they get). What problems did you have?
Batman Posted July 14, 2009 Author Posted July 14, 2009 It's exactly the same to install on Debian as Ubuntu... all the packages you need have the same name, all the commands are the same (you might need to set up sudo, but that's about it)... What exactly didn't work for you?
Ric_ Posted July 14, 2009 Posted July 14, 2009 It's exactly the same to install on Debian as Ubuntu... all the packages you need have the same name, all the commands are the same (you might need to set up sudo, but that's about it)... What exactly didn't work for you? Maybe it was associated with a different issue I had at the time... it doesn't matter though... it's good practice for me to do some RPM-bashing
whitenight639 Posted July 15, 2009 Posted July 15, 2009 the last couple of days ive used pxelinux to create a PXE boot menu so i can choose between WinPE and linux based PreOS to run ghost, (still having trouble getting PC-DOS to work which is the main one i wanted). Anyway I was wondering if i could add a fog option to this boot menu and run a fog server side by side for a while, i see that fog uses its own PXE menu but i'd like to keep mine, has anyone here done this??
la_ley_10 Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 hi guys can i install FOG on my laptop with out active directory? i would like to use it my laptop with Fog just on any network.. thanks in advance
mac_shinobi Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 hi guys can i install FOG on my laptop with out active directory? i would like to use it my laptop with Fog just on any network.. thanks in advance I was wondering the same sort of thing ie if I partitioned my hard drive would it be possible to run fog to make an image of the installation of windows on a machine thats joined to the domain or when I re image it using the image created would I still have to join it to the domain etc
diggory Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 (edited) I was wondering the same sort of thing ie if I partitioned my hard drive would it be possible to run fog to make an image of the installation of windows on a machine thats joined to the domain or when I re image it using the image created would I still have to join it to the domain etc You can install FOG on a laptop I would have though. You could use a VM or use a seperate partition... The active directory joining is just a subset of FOG, which you don't need to turn on if you don't want to. However, what might get you is DHCP conflicts - if you are using FOG on many different networks. FOG is setup with it's own DHCP server, or a PXE boot redirection from another DHCP server. If you use FOG in a portable manner, you'll have to unplug/disable the DHCP server on each network you visit. If you image a machine that's already a domain member, that's no problem so long as you don't deploy the image to other machines, as the SIDs on those machines will be the same (you'll need to run sysprep to change the SIDs). Edited August 6, 2009 by diggory extra info..
diggory Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 the last couple of days ive used pxelinux to create a PXE boot menu so i can choose between WinPE and linux based PreOS to run ghost, (still having trouble getting PC-DOS to work which is the main one i wanted). Anyway I was wondering if i could add a fog option to this boot menu and run a fog server side by side for a while, i see that fog uses its own PXE menu but i'd like to keep mine, has anyone here done this?? The closest I've got is to have a seperate subnet, which has different PXE boot options for the DHCP server. So some network sockets in our office are 'ghost' ports, whilst everthing else on the network uses FOG. Handy whilst we still have a few ghost images hanging around.
Geoff Posted August 6, 2009 Posted August 6, 2009 I created a dos disk that runs ghost off a network share. Wasn't too bad to get working.
roland Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 Hi, I have been using FOG now for nearly 2 years, and I aggree it is a wonderful product. I had I shopped around for many other solutions and asked dumb questions on numerous websites and from supposedly very smart people who where using all sort of complicated methods to deploy. I read the manual thoroughly and took the plunge two years ago and have never looked back. Fog is just like Linux - "Elegant, Functional and Free". I have shown other school administrators FOG but they always seem to have some lame excuse why they cant use FOG, often they have invested too much in other solutions like Ghost which does not do half the things that FOG does. Its great to see so many happy users. Roland .
R0M Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 It seams like a kind of random time to bump this thread... But I couldnt agree more, I had also looked very closely at spending alot of money on Ghost, and had tried other free methods first such as booting to BartPE and using DriveImage XML and also using WDS with all my apps deployed via GPOs but nothing had been "streemline" at the time I was not a linux user at all, (now I use Ubuntu as my primary OS at home) but I though I'd try FOG (from the numerous recomendations on this sight) and WOW! Its great I can have a whole lab of 32 PCs re-imaged with all the software installed, renamed and connected to the domain in the correct OU in under an hour. Its an exelent program, and I would recomend trying it even if you have just sunk a whole lot of money into Ghost and your not a Linux user.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now