Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Good morning hive mind...

 

We have recently installed some HP elitedesk 800 micro PCs into classrooms with Promethean AP10 panels.  We are seeing an increasing number of the PC's suddenly failing to output to one or other DP port.

 

We have tried numerous things, including swapping cabling, swapping the monitor and Promethean ports, removing graphics card from device manager, removing and re-installing drivers, and have yet to identify the issue.

 

The only fix we have found is to wipe and re-install Windows on the PC

 

Has anyone else had a similar issue, or have any ideas how we can resolve this without a rebuild?

 

 

Posted

I am going to sound like I am trying to teach you to suck eggs, but have you checked they haven't switched to PC Only on the Windows+P menu you get for duplicate/extend. We have had quite few cases recently where staff members plugging in laptops to older TVs that are HDMI only defaulting to PC Screen only.

Posted
15 minutes ago, BKGarry said:

I am going to sound like I am trying to teach you to suck eggs, but have you checked they haven't switched to PC Only on the Windows+P menu you get for duplicate/extend. We have had quite few cases recently where staff members plugging in laptops to older TVs that are HDMI only defaulting to PC Screen only.

Appreciate the suggestion (as it is easy to overthink things), however we have tried that.  Device Manager is only showing a single monitor connected

 

 

  • Like 1
Posted
14 minutes ago, msi_school said:

Are you using DP to the board or are you converting to HDMI or VGA? We have found the converts to be dodgy on occasion 

It's DP to HDMI we are using

Posted

I have found the converters to be sometimes dodge for various reasons but if a rebuild fixes it I am not sure that this is your issue, unless you are moving the PC and reseating the converter. 

Posted

Yes, I had this and thought the ports were dying on a batch of new PCs. No, it was the crap converters. I changed them all to Benfei ones and they worked.

Posted

Had a number of HP 800 G6 Minis in classrooms do this too also using DP to HDMI convertors.  We concluded that the older versions work the video chips harder and they overheat and stop displaying.  When they cooled down it started working again.

 

Swapped ours for onboard hdmi video cards instead and seemed to fix the issues, its was cheaper than buying new DP to HDMI convertors.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...