Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

msi_school

Members
  • Posts

    832
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by msi_school

  1. I have found the converters to be sometimes dodge for various reasons but if a rebuild fixes it I am not sure that this is your issue, unless you are moving the PC and reseating the converter.
  2. Are you using DP to the board or are you converting to HDMI or VGA? We have found the converts to be dodgy on occasion
  3. It is called single status and it assigned wages based on the content of the work rather than the traditional wage, so for example the team emptying bins used to get paid much more than the cleaners who filled the bins despite the similar work requirements because emptying bins is a traditionally male job and cleaning is a traditionally female job. This is how Birmingham went bankrupt, they had so many jobs that required the wages increasing that they could not afford it and kept putting it off. This process works with in an employer so LEA staff are grouped with the council but MAT staff are with the MAT, causing staff in neighbouring schools to be on widely different pay and conditions now.
  4. We use Chromebook plus devices and they are great, they do cost the same as a decent laptop so there is no initial cost saving but the the TCO is much lower. We did run into issues with most Chromebook pluses being 16:10 and some of the staff hating this because it puts letterbox borders on the interactive screen especially if the initial slide is 16:9 where it does a double letterbox so you might want to test this out with the users before purchase.
  5. GL Assessment, I have not managed this for a number of years but it used to be fairly simple
  6. To be fair I have seen the same from humans, except they try to doge the blame or hide the issue. *Dodge*
  7. We are Lightspeed, V3.4.3 apparently fixes the issue. I have not seen the isuse or the fix my self.
  8. We have see this across the trust but it has been fixed by updating the filtering solution.
  9. AWS is having a momont today, I don't know if they are connected but it is breaking LightSpeed filtering. We have no Youtube across all our sites.
  10. We use Sigin app with the clubs as a list of staff so the students sign in to visit a club
  11. It's not always the best idea to host your website and hold your DNS at the same company, if there is an issue and you get locked out you have no access to either whilst by holding them seperate you have more options. You also have more admin overhead and potentially more cost so ...
  12. This has stopped happening now and I am again been taken to the first unread post. Thank you
  13. Good Morning I am having an issue where when I click on the first unread post button it takes me to the top of the page not the first unread post. Mike
  14. They work well in Banks where the customer can only see the screen from an angle and the teller is sitting one screen, in a normal office with people walking around they are less useful as their will often be people standing behind the monitor looking over the users shoulder and with two big screens it is hard to get the viewing angle right.
  15. The issue often with modern CCTV is the 4k cameras, it takes a lot of graphical grunt to display 16 4k images on a site manager's desktop, either natively or transcoded. I have set up CCTV Terminal servers in the past with a powerful graphics card and lots of RAM for staff to remote into rather than spending on each users desktop.
  16. https://www.etoncollege.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/ISI-Report-2024.pdf
  17. There are two different issues here I belive. 1. What to back up, as a simple man I would recommend backing up everything. You then don't have to justify why someone's important file that they had saved in a location that was not backup has been lost. 2. Auditing access. This is a harder question to answer. When I started in IT the sysadmin had access to everything and it was just accepted that this was the way it was. We also smoked in the office so a lot has changed since then. You have to risk assess this against a more expensive back up solution or a two person rule for accessing the device.
  18. I reached out to E Marker about four years ago for support setting up their software and they told me that it was a breach of the users contract to run the software on a school PC.
  19. The best process here I think would be to not retain the photo, just a record that it has been seen.
  20. A high speed laptop for 1Gbs network, are you working in 2000? the 1000TX spec was released in 1999. I would use a device on your good internet site to do these speed tests at both sites and try it on the specified router port out of hours. Once you have these three results from the same hardware you can push this back. Generally DNS issues cause the opposite of your issue the speed reports as fast but the internet feels slow, but it wont hurt to try a different DNS provider to test.
  21. We use TeamviewerQS in the same way as @DrCheese is not an onerous process and keeps the computer secure.
  22. Baring in mind that I am not a lawyer In general training videos played from Youtube or not an issue this is what the platform is designed for and the there are no copyright issues. However, the playing of music in public or business premises requires a PPL and PRS joint license. If you have a compliance/legal department I would mention this to them if you don't I am not sure what I would advise.
  23. I would say the DfE standard that applies to aged hardware is: Devices should be safe and secure Why this standard is important Keeping devices safe and secure will protect those who use them, the network and the data on them. This will: make it easier to apply security and safeguarding policies to each device minimise the risk of cyber security incidents and data breaches If the device is not getting updates is is not applying security and safeguarding polices and thus also it no longer minimises the risks of cyber security incidents.
  24. I manage a mixed Windows, Mac, Chromebook environment and it is harder than a single OS but it all works fine. I agree with @paulkerton in that I don't know how powerful they really are and the Staff here already thing everything is slow. I am trying to get someone to fund me one for testing but so far no luck. I would be interested in hearing about your results if you go ahead.
×
×
  • Create New...