MrDylan Posted March 21, 2006 Posted March 21, 2006 So we're running Server 2003 SP1 Enterprise on 5 servers. I want some of the features in R2. We have an R2 Standard CD and 1 license. Is it possible to get the Print Management functionality of SP2 onto the other servers? Or do I need to buy Enterprise R2? If so would it be a simple upgrade? Thanks.
MrDylan Posted March 21, 2006 Author Posted March 21, 2006 Ok so I managed to track this down in a help file: Windows Server 2003 R2 contains two product discs. Disc 1 contains Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1). Disc 2 contains the installation files for the Windows Server 2003 R2 optional components. Both discs use the same Product Key. If you have Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed, you will only need to install Disc 2. If you are upgrading and you do not have SP1 installed, you will need to install both product discs. Note If you do not yet have Windows Server 2003 SP1 installed, you can also download and install SP1 from the Microsoft Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43106). You might want to do this if you do not want to install the integrated version of SP1 that is included on Disc 1. The integrated version is included within the operating system, and therefore, you cannot uninstall it. With a Windows Server 2003 R2 license, you can upgrade to Windows Server 2003 R2 if your computer is running one of the following operating systems: Windows Server 2003 with SP1 Windows Server 2003 without SP1 Windows 2000 Server Windows NT Server 4.0 with Service Pack 5 or later Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition, with Service Pack 5 or later If I understand this correctly, it means I can upgrade 1 server per R2 license? Is that correct? As I'd only be adding the Disc 2 components, would it retain the Enterprise functionality even though it's a Standard R2? Confusing.
DMcCoy Posted March 21, 2006 Posted March 21, 2006 R2 is counted as a seperate product. If you want to use R2 featues then you need a R2 license. If you have software assurance I believe you are allowed to upgrade to R2, if you don't you need a new licence/upgrade depending on what is availiable.
MrDylan Posted March 21, 2006 Author Posted March 21, 2006 tut, was afraid that would be the case. Looks like more money to MS then.
tarquel Posted April 11, 2006 Posted April 11, 2006 And to sort of follow here... As I'd only be adding the Disc 2 components, would it retain the Enterprise functionality even though it's a Standard R2? You'll need R2 Enterprise if you need the Enterprise features [no - it doesnt include warp drive's ] when you upgrade. Like DMcCoy says, that it is a seperate / different product. Think of it this way - it doesnt matter whether it was 2000, 2003 Std or 2003 Ent before, the resulting product will be what ever one you purchased. What was on the machine before has no bearing on the features after the upgrade... ...AFAIK Cheers Nath
ChrisH Posted April 11, 2006 Posted April 11, 2006 So the general reccomendation is we get Enterprise R2 if we want all the good features and this doesnt matter if we just have server 2003 standard currently?
tarquel Posted April 11, 2006 Posted April 11, 2006 Not quite. I'm saying that if you want R2 - get the same type of version [or have a look at the differences between products] as you have for 2003 i.e. - 2003 Std > 2003 R2 Std - 2003 Ent > 2003 R2 Ent Of course, if you have 2003 Ent but decide that you dont need all the features 2003 R2 Ent, then get R2 Std [baring in mind that I dunno whether that upgrade path is allowable - but i presume it is hehe] Thats all im saying. [i know i know - I am *this* confusing in real life too ] Nath
thom Posted April 11, 2006 Posted April 11, 2006 I was a beta tester for R2. As far as I gathered, MS were going to realease all the seperate R2 add-ins as free downloads a couple of months down the line, after the official release. You can already download MMC v3, that is included in R2. Can you not mimic the Printer Management Console by creating and configuring a mmc? It was a long time since i last looked at it. A nice feature but not worth paying out for something they were too slow to include in the original release.
john Posted April 11, 2006 Posted April 11, 2006 I was also an R2 tester, and loved it, just wish MSFT would give Ramesys the correct select agreement code! I am now on to code #5 and still its not a valid R2 code GRRR!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now