Disease Posted May 16, 2024 Posted May 16, 2024 We are in the process of migrating to Arbor and I am working on the Data Cleansing. I am confused in regards to the student photo migration, in the workbook it says only JPEG photos will be moved across and that it supports SIMS photos. All the photos we have ever received for importing into SIMS have been .BMP files so does this mean that when we migrate we will have no student photos, or when you import them into SIMS are they converted into JPEG? Anyone else had this issue?
gumbygaz Posted May 16, 2024 Posted May 16, 2024 Not done this process, but could you use the free tool from Salamander software: https://www.salamandersoft.co.uk/free-utilities/ and use the photo exporter? They come out as a JPG 3
bobsmith Posted May 16, 2024 Posted May 16, 2024 Our SIMS to bromcom migration handled this for us. But our photos definitely ended up as JPEG. I'd be more concerned about your Database size if you're uploading bitmaps rather than jpegs in the first place. This migration should be seen as a great opportunity to resolve that one. Our uploaded photos go in as no more than 200px x 200px images in the first place. 1
FragglePete Posted May 16, 2024 Posted May 16, 2024 The only thing we noticed, some photos that were very large in SIMS that came across into Arbor didn't seem to sit right on Arbor, that is, they didn't fall inside the circle at the top of a student/staff profile but sort of sat outside it. They also didn't always appear in reports that used the photo. I did an export from Arbor of all photos and you could see that some were a lot bigger in file size. I cleaned this these up and reuploaded back into Arbor. Thankfully wasn't too many. SIMS being SIMS, just let us upload stupidly large photos ! Pete 1
RobFuller Posted May 16, 2024 Posted May 16, 2024 I believe we had a mixture of JPG and BMP images uploading into SIMS over the years, all got migrated without issue. I echo @FragglePete's comments that some aspect ratios don't sit well with Arbor but easy enough to sort at a later stage. 2
Sylv3r Posted May 16, 2024 Posted May 16, 2024 Our photos all did migrate from SIMS to Arbor, but I can echo some of the comments above and they all appear to be different sized / resolutions and some horizontal - whereas in SIMS they looked fine. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now