ajbritton Posted March 20, 2006 Posted March 20, 2006 I notice that the current version of Sophos is in Windows Installer (.MSI) format. I wonder if anyone has tried installing this using GPSI rather than the clunky management console?
Dos_Box Posted March 20, 2006 Posted March 20, 2006 I don't find the MC clunky at all, compared to the old one this is a positive dream to use.
ajbritton Posted March 20, 2006 Author Posted March 20, 2006 It's rubbish. I keep having to type in my name/password (complete with domain name) to add PCs or push out software. No progress information. Yuck. Anyway, my main reason for wanting to use the .MSI is to totally automate the rebuild of PCs. The rest of the process is automatic. Only the AV install requires intervention.
OverWorked Posted March 20, 2006 Posted March 20, 2006 I wouldn't say it's rubbish, but it's not great. Mine shows some clients as greyed out and will not install to them. Even after installing AV on them manually the console still won't recognise them. Strangely, it's mainly the PC's which are used by admin staff and are the least locked down. I'd prefer to use msi's so it's good to read that the latest version supports this. It is a pain having use a different method to install sophos av on new clients. I'd like to install it via GP, then manage it vian the Sophos management console. The entering of name and pw each time is also a great pain.
tosca925 Posted March 20, 2006 Posted March 20, 2006 I am using version 4.03 still because of all th eproblems i have read on the forum with the vesrion 5.??? Have we got a new version now and if so is it problem free. i heard there was a new version in march being released. Can any one give me a bit more info or point me to a link?
Inox Posted March 20, 2006 Posted March 20, 2006 Well, I havent tried installing Via MSI (I remember reading somewhere that this can cause issues) but according to sophos website u can do it through a bat file in the sysvol folder linked to a machine logon script in your gpo. the bat file is this... @ECHO OFF REM --- Check for an existing installation of Sophos AutoUpdate if exist "C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\ALsvc.exe" goto _End REM --- Deploy to Windows 2000/XP/2003 \\SERVERNAME\InterChk\ESXP\Setup.exe -updp "\\SERVERNAME\InterChk\ESXP" -user "USERNAMEGOESHERE" -pwd "PASSWORDGOESHERE" -mng yes REM --- End of the script :_End replace SERVERNAME, USERNAMEGOESHERE and PASSWORDGOESHERE. Works fine for me in 6+ schools. If sophos isnt installed it gets installed, if it's not upto date I think it triggers an update. Hope this helps!
Inox Posted March 20, 2006 Posted March 20, 2006 Well, I havent tried installing Via MSI (I remember reading somewhere that this can cause issues) but according to sophos website u can do it through a bat file in the sysvol folder linked to a machine logon script in your gpo. the bat file is this... @ECHO OFF REM --- Check for an existing installation of Sophos AutoUpdate if exist "C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\ALsvc.exe" goto _End REM --- Deploy to Windows 2000/XP/2003 \\SERVERNAME\InterChk\ESXP\Setup.exe -updp "\\SERVERNAME\InterChk\ESXP" -user "USERNAMEGOESHERE" -pwd "PASSWORDGOESHERE" -mng yes REM --- End of the script :_End replace SERVERNAME, USERNAMEGOESHERE and PASSWORDGOESHERE. Works fine for me in 6+ schools. If sophos isnt installed it gets installed, if it's not upto date I think it triggers an update. Hope this helps!
ZeroHour Posted March 20, 2006 Posted March 20, 2006 Version 5 is a Pig. Kill performance of PC's Incase noone knows version 6 is out this summer as well as EM Console 2 lol More fun and games
john Posted March 20, 2006 Posted March 20, 2006 I have foolishly signed up on the beta for those, and am thinking of, if sticking with sophos (see my anti-v thread) of replacing the live ones with that despite the usual health warnings they come with!
john Posted March 20, 2006 Posted March 20, 2006 No eye dr yet, they sent me an email saying thanks for filling my details in and that i was accepted on the program, due to being from an educational background rather than corperate, and to await further instructions, and thats all I have heard.
browolf Posted December 1, 2006 Posted December 1, 2006 trying out this script which seems to be working great but a laptop i just tried it on still had remote update 1.1.2 and the old sophos lightning running but inactive after the install. is there some way of removing these in the same script?
tarquel Posted December 1, 2006 Posted December 1, 2006 I can't say sorry - but i can say that I deploy the current version via GP and it works well - though our LEA provided version is customised I think using the management system. Works a treat though I managed to update the central install share too after updating a client - you can do this [but be careful with it] using the cache folder in the sophos directory on a up to date client. Backup the old folders on the server first before you overwrite them too - tis the best way to be safe Of course, if u have the Management System, you can probably do this a different way, but if you are in the same circumstances as us - i.e. only the custom end product msi, its a handy way to do it Regards Nath
browolf Posted December 1, 2006 Posted December 1, 2006 the script installs sophos from our own EM server, but the laptops have old sophos that talks to the lea EM & was originally installed by them. nevertheless you would expect any older version to be automatically upgraded.
plexer Posted December 1, 2006 Posted December 1, 2006 If you have em library installed that will suck down the updates from sophos and keep your central repositry up to date then you can deploy the msi from there. Must admit it does sound a better solution that having to keep pushing the initial install manually. Ben
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now