ICTDirect_Dave Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 I'm with you on that one. Had a K62 400, then K62 500 followed by lots of Athon varients all the way up to a Barton 3200+. Then Intel left them in the dust. We had a similar upgrade path it seems. I went K62 400 to XP3000+ then to the 3200+ and finally the Athlon2 X4 620 which was in service until about four years ago.
DalekSec Posted February 23, 2017 Author Posted February 23, 2017 Looking at a Mobo to go with in when i came across this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rog-crosshair-vi-hero-amd-x370-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69e-as.html I WANT ALL THE USB PORTS! ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!! (would mean i could get rid of my USB 3.0 PCIe which keeps failing) Leaning more towards these : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-ga-ax370-gaming-5-amd-x370-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-554-gi.html https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-ga-ax370-gaming-k7-amd-x370-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-553-gi.html Can't find the difference between the two bar the colour (Would prefer black one as my current colour scheme is red & black
Dos_Box Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 My first AMD CPU was a K6 200MHz. That got upgraded to a K6 3 400MHz CPU later on which was replaced by a PIII. I then switched between Intel and AMD several times. Intel didn't leave AMD in the dust after Barton as the P4 was still the current architecture. Northwood was (just about) competitive with its contemporary Athlon but Prescott was bloody awful and the equivalent Athlon 64 was much better. Intel didn't really produce competitive CPUs again until the Core 2 series came along. What I was referring to was that by the time I was to upgrade again, Intel had released the Core series chips and there simply wasn't a reason to look at AMD as they couldn't really come close.
3s-gtech Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 My entire (main gaming rig) PC history - K6-2 350, then P4 1.7Ghz (Willamette), K8 Athlon 3200+, K8 Athlon 3700+, Athlon x2 4200+, Athlon 7750 (Kuma), then current Phenom II x4 955. Only one Intel, and it was a stinker. I have had Intel powered laptops and secondary machines which have been fine though. I've stuck with AMD purely because of bang-for-buck, as a whole system. Most of my builds for friends and family have also been AMD powered, as their APUs have allowed me to put together a decent system on a small budget. My work PC, laptop and most of the 'admin' PCs are AMD. Most of our servers and a good chunk of our laptops too. We're still majority Intel, as that's what we can get as refurbed units. They've all been very good. Basically, I buy on price/performance for a particular application. I'm not a fanboy, but I do like underdogs; Ryzen will hopefully inject some life into the CPU market and AMD's finances too, otherwise it's over.
ICTDirect_Dave Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 My entire (main gaming rig) PC history - K6-2 350, then P4 1.7Ghz (Willamette), K8 Athlon 3200+, K8 Athlon 3700+, Athlon x2 4200+, Athlon 7750 (Kuma), then current Phenom II x4 955. Only one Intel, and it was a stinker. I have had Intel powered laptops and secondary machines which have been fine though. I've stuck with AMD purely because of bang-for-buck, as a whole system. Most of my builds for friends and family have also been AMD powered, as their APUs have allowed me to put together a decent system on a small budget. My work PC, laptop and most of the 'admin' PCs are AMD. Most of our servers and a good chunk of our laptops too. We're still majority Intel, as that's what we can get as refurbed units. They've all been very good. Basically, I buy on price/performance for a particular application. I'm not a fanboy, but I do like underdogs; Ryzen will hopefully inject some life into the CPU market and AMD's finances too, otherwise it's over. You do realise that you only had to ask me if you wanted AMD units instead of intel right? We see loads of hp 6305's
3s-gtech Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 I know you'd mentioned about getting them - I thought you hadn't gone for them as they're not on the site We haven't bought much since then to be fair, though I'd certainly consider them if I can get some budget together to replace our main suite (Lenovo M58p).
ICTDirect_Dave Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 I know you'd mentioned about getting them - I thought you hadn't gone for them as they're not on the site We haven't bought much since then to be fair, though I'd certainly consider them if I can get some budget together to replace our main suite (Lenovo M58p). I can get hold of them pretty easily, but I've not put them on our website as I tend not to hold a stock of them so I'd rather people bought the hundreds of 8200's i tend to keep around But for good customers like yourself, ah we can get some Anyway, back on topic. Whilst I'm mighty impressed so far, I definitely won't be upgrading this time around. Maybe in another 18-24 months, but my 4790K is more than yup to the task at the moment. Lets see if devs start implementing multi core multi thread applications into games first...
PotNoodleTech Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 Anyway, back on topic. Whilst I'm mighty impressed so far, I definitely won't be upgrading this time around. Maybe in another 18-24 months, but my 4790K is more than yup to the task at the moment. . WUT!!! No Z820?!!!!!
ICTDirect_Dave Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 WUT!!! No Z820?!!!!! Haha! Tempting as it is I don't think I'd get away with 'Borrowing' over £2.5k of Z820 to play games on. I briefly had a Z800 at one point. That was fun, but my current machine is better
PotNoodleTech Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 Haha! Tempting as it is I don't think I'd get away with 'Borrowing' over £2.5k of Z820 to play games on. I briefly had a Z800 at one point. That was fun, but my current machine is better I dunno as a customer I would expect you to thoroughly test your equipment before offering it for sale - I heard elite dangerous is a good way to test xeons?
ICTDirect_Dave Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 I dunno as a customer I would expect you to thoroughly test your equipment before offering it for sale - I heard elite dangerous is a good way to test xeons? And that's precisely why I come to BETT with a couple of Z series machines, some expensive HOTAS and ED installed
ICTDirect_Dave Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 .....Ordered............... You're so weak
PotNoodleTech Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 .....Ordered............... You better hope it's as fast as the hype train!! CHOOO CHOOOOO!!! 1
DalekSec Posted February 23, 2017 Author Posted February 23, 2017 (edited) You're so weak I know! I can't help it (To be fair i've been very good for last 3 months and have saved a record amount of money) The way i see it now is i won't need to touch my PC hardware for the rest of the year, leaving me to save Le Edit: Plus i've already got £300 for my i7! Edited February 23, 2017 by DalekSec
localzuk Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 I know! I can't help it (To be fair i've been very good for last 3 months and have saved a record amount of money) The way i see it now is i won't need to touch my PC hardware for the rest of the year, leaving me to save How old is your current PC? Or more specifically, what CPU are you running?
DalekSec Posted February 23, 2017 Author Posted February 23, 2017 (edited) How old is your current PC? Or more specifically, what CPU are you running? Read Below Le Edit: Realized you might be on App, here is my rig i7 4790k OC 4.4Ghz Corsair H100i v2 Cooler 32GB HyperX 2400Mhz MSI Z97 Motherboard MSI GTX1080 FE Corsair RM850i PSU Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb + 4TB Disks NZXT H440 Occulus Rift Edited February 23, 2017 by DalekSec
ZeroHour Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 I am curious about it especially the pricing but I fear AMD's support and drivers. Also I dont think it will support the next gen ssd's intel are working on although there will probably be an addon card you can get for PCI-E to allow use of them. Roll on March when https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html gets updated to show its rates.
ICTDirect_Dave Posted February 23, 2017 Posted February 23, 2017 I am curious about it especially the pricing but I fear AMD's support and drivers. Also I dont think it will support the next gen ssd's intel are working on although there will probably be an addon card you can get for PCI-E to allow use of them. Roll on March when https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html gets updated to show its rates. I'm looking forward to this. The top 120 CPUs are all intel as it stands!
mpeers93 Posted February 24, 2017 Posted February 24, 2017 Looks like a good time to finally upgrade from an AMD Phenom II 1090t
localzuk Posted February 24, 2017 Posted February 24, 2017 Read Below Le Edit: Realized you might be on App, here is my rig i7 4790k OC 4.4GhzCorsair H100i v2 Cooler32GB HyperX 2400MhzMSI Z97 MotherboardMSI GTX1080 FECorsair RM850i PSUSamsung 850 Pro 256Gb + 4TB DisksNZXT H440Occulus Rift That's better than what I'm running! How much would you sell the CPU & Mobo for?
DalekSec Posted February 24, 2017 Author Posted February 24, 2017 That's better than what I'm running! How much would you sell the CPU & Mobo for? It's a good setup but it's starting to show it's age on newer games (For Honor / Overwatch is only just on 60FPS on Ultra settings for example), i have a 2560 x 1080 monitor so does use a bit more power than the normal 1920 x 1080 My brother has already reserved my CPU, but the MoBo could be sold
Arthur Posted March 2, 2017 Posted March 2, 2017 www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700
localzuk Posted March 2, 2017 Posted March 2, 2017 CPU Benchmark has some scores now - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html The 1800X is coming out very favourably.
DalekSec Posted March 2, 2017 Author Posted March 2, 2017 Mine hasn't been shipped yet , god i'm inpatient!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now