round2it Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 Its been 9 years since I have purchased any so not sure how the tech might have changed. I would prefer if the splitter worked with windows media player windows 7 to play dvds as my current ones do not work. but it is not essential as I have installed vlc player that gets round this issue. Thanks in advance
Steve21 Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 StarTech.com 2 Port High Resolution VGA Video Splitter - 350 MHz - Ebuyer Is what we used to use for my old school (specifically the HD one as it seems to work better with splitting DVDs etc). Steve 1
stitch Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 I use these. StarTech 2 Port VGA Video Splitter - USB Powered: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories They are usb powered as well so you do not need a separate socket to power it. It seems to work no problem with media player playing DVDs.
ICTDirect_Dave Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 Or buy a Low Profile Quadro NVS300 with dual output for just £15 They have been immensely popular upgrade options for teacher PCs recently.
Oaktech Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 I use these: Rextron: KVS-532A - REXTRON - SPLITTER, SVGA, 2 WAY | CPC UK I find the startech one's run out grunt on a long VGA run.
siuko Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 I use these. StarTech 2 Port VGA Video Splitter - USB Powered: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories They are usb powered as well so you do not need a separate socket to power it. It seems to work no problem with media player playing DVDs. Can recommend these ones! We have about 60 of them in our school
round2it Posted June 24, 2015 Author Posted June 24, 2015 as it happens that's the one I was looking at
mikeprice Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 Just don't use the Lindy ones - had trouble with one at my last school and now the same here!
3s-gtech Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 I just fit graphics cards in 99% of situations, it can often work out cheaper and has other benefits too.
Edu-IT Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 as it happens that's the one I was looking at Newlink do a slightly cheaper version, but I'm convinced they're made in the same place as Startech! NewLink Portable Video Distribution Amplifier VGA Splitter Cable - NL-Vidamp - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads
Darth Posted June 25, 2015 Posted June 25, 2015 We got about 40 of these, a bit pricey I know but easy to install (don't have room to put in a card). CUH350D USB 3.0/2.0 to DVI,VGA or HDMI Adaptor(up to 2048 X 1152)
caffrey Posted June 25, 2015 Posted June 25, 2015 I really dislike splitters, get the quadro if you can - different resolutions on projector / monitor and you can even confuse the teachers by enabling extended desktop for hours of entertainment.
MrFlibble Posted July 21, 2015 Posted July 21, 2015 (edited) I managed to get one of these c2g-trulink-2-port-uxga-monitor-splitter for £25, and although it comes with a cable to get power from USB, it didn't seem to need it, and was able to get power from the VGA output of the PC. I need to get some more, so may get more of the same unless anyone can say if any of the other suggestions are a lot better? I like the idea of not having to have a separate USB cable plugged in; there's less to go wrong! Are there any drawbacks to this mode of operation? I did try an unpowered splitter as a comparison; it was a lot dimmer! I'd definitely avoid unpowered splitters. Edited July 21, 2015 by MrFlibble
Guest WMITTech Posted July 22, 2015 Posted July 22, 2015 I really dislike the box splitters + Windows 7 as they try to be too clever! We use these at work and they are fantastic - I'm sure you can find a cheaper price! http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Port-VGA-Video-Splitter/dp/B000YB2HEM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437571439&sr=8-5&keywords=vga+splitter+adapter+with+usb+power Normal startech are expensive and the resolution are crap - we had english complain about them as videos were just too choppy, but with these they're just fantastic.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now