techie08 Posted July 23, 2014 Posted July 23, 2014 Hi I have just found out the students have been circulating a shortcut via email that shuts down the computer. in the target it has C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r and start in is C:\Windows\system32 Any ideas on how I can stop this from running? Cmd prompt is disable d by GPO so not sure where else to prevent this from running. Thanks
abillybob Posted July 23, 2014 Posted July 23, 2014 Sorry not of much help on this one. Although why don't you want them to shut down computers, big wool they've shut down their own machine and now have to turn it back on and log back in, I don't understand how they could be using this maliciously or am I missing a point here?
techie08 Posted July 23, 2014 Author Posted July 23, 2014 Time wasted in lessons? If they send out in an email possibly named as something like unfiltered internet, students then open it. Losing work if they haven't saved! I know you say "big wool" but its trying to prevent time and work being wasted in the first place!.
Oaktech Posted July 23, 2014 Posted July 23, 2014 what email are you using? can you prevent .url and .lnk extensions from being sent around?
techie08 Posted July 23, 2014 Author Posted July 23, 2014 what email are you using? can you prevent .url and .lnk extensions from being sent around? They are zipping it up.
iom100 Posted July 23, 2014 Posted July 23, 2014 looks like I've sorted it now. Thanks Care to share how you've sorted it? 1
Oaktech Posted July 23, 2014 Posted July 23, 2014 They are zipping it up. And .zip files We do, all the usual risky extensions are blocked plus .lnk, .url, .zip and .swf too. We've not found a single legitimate email with a zip attached to it!
techie08 Posted July 23, 2014 Author Posted July 23, 2014 I disabled shutdown for students in a GPO. This means they have to log off before shutdown which teachers like as they don't have to wait for stations to be booted up in between lessons.
caffrey Posted July 23, 2014 Posted July 23, 2014 You can probably prevent this with software restriction policies in the temp folder, I do this anyway with exe etc. lnk and url should work too.
weathmatth Posted August 4, 2014 Posted August 4, 2014 Personally i wouldn't disable shutdown via a GPO, students might start just flicking switches on the wall or holding power buttons in at the end of the day.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now