+ Post New Thread
Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8....urgh in Technical; Originally Posted by sparkeh Interesting, my experience is the exact opposite. I really persevered with MP, it was a pain ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Interesting, my experience is the exact opposite. I really persevered with MP, it was a pain to set up and maintain whereas Media Centre just worked and has continued to work with zero issues.
    Have to agree with this. I tried all sorts of Media applications and (although not as pretty as others), WMC suited my pre-existing file/folder structure the best - possibly because the folder structure was set up way before I considered that sort of software. I'd love something that pulls metadata, but the applications I tried just didn't do it successfully.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Have to agree with this. I tried all sorts of Media applications and (although not as pretty as others), WMC suited my pre-existing file/folder structure the best - possibly because the folder structure was set up way before I considered that sort of software. I'd love something that pulls metadata, but the applications I tried just didn't do it successfully.
    Yeap, I use media center as it does just its job. The one issue I have with it is its lack of good support for MKV, other than that it handles terabytes of media over stacks of drives easily.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yeap, I use media center as it does just its job. The one issue I have with it is its lack of good support for MKV, other than that it handles terabytes of media over stacks of drives easily.
    I think The Shark Codec pack should sort that out. (None of my stuff in that format, so wouldn't swear to it). Depends how you feel about codec packs, of course.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    windows-8-sales.jpg

Data from Net Applications shows that Windows 8 is less popular than Windows Vista, the operating system that proved unpopular with the enthusiast audience.
    Windows 8 usage uptake has slipped behind Vista’s in the same point in its release. Windows 8 online usage share is around 1.6% of all Windows PC’s which is less than the 2.2% share that Windows Vista commanded at the same two month mark after release.
    Net Applications monitor operating system usage by recording OS version for around 40,000 sites it monitors for clients.
    The slowdown for Windows 8 adoption is a bad sign for Microsoft who experienced great success with the release of Windows 7.
    Data was measured up to the 22nd of December, so there is still time by the end of the month for Windows 8 to claim a higher percentage of the user base.
    This data reaffirms previous statistics posted by organisations such as the NPD group. They said in the four weeks surrounding Windows 8 Oct 26 debut that 21% fewer PCs were sold to U.S. consumers than during the same period in 2011.
    The New York Times have also said that U.S. consumer sales of Windows machines from late October through to the first week of December are down 13% compared to the same period a year previous.
    Kitguru says: Our own polls show that the majority of the enthusiast audience are sticking with Windows 7.
    Windows 8 proving less popular than Vista | KitGuru

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,904 Times in 2,137 Posts
    ^ Windows 8 is already more popular than Linux.

Acer president defends Windows 8, says consumers just need time to get used to it « BGR

Windows 8 has taken potshots from MIT professors and drunk people alike, but at least one Microsoft (MSFT) OEM thinks such criticism is largely overblown. In an interview with Digitimes, Acer (2353) president Jim Wong said that Windows 8 is actually a very good operating system that consumers will adapt to it given enough time.

“Windows 8 is a major milestone for 2012, but it is also a new system that consumers must learn and the learning process will prevent the operating system from taking off quickly,” Wong told Digitimes. “However, many of the concerns and criticisms concerning Windows 8 have been rather unfair.”

In particular, Wong praised Microsoft for taking risks and being boldly innovative with its new operating system, which he said smartly integrates touchscreen capabilities with traditional PC functionality. Wong also pointed to Acer internal research showing “that a consumer, after controlling a touchscreen product for more than 20 minutes, would want to use his or her fingers to touch any display he or she sees.”

All of this leads Wong to believe that “touchscreen control is an irreversible trend” that “will be a strong selling point” despite needing "more time to take off."
    Dell CEO: "The interest in Windows 8 is quite high" < Neowin

We have been getting mixed signals about sales of Windows 8 PCs, but the head of one of the world's biggest PC makers claims that Microsoft's latest OS is doing pretty well.

Michael Dell, the founder and CEO of Dell, spoke today as part of the company's annual Dell World conference in Austin, Texas. Bloomberg reports that, according to Dell, "The interest in Windows 8 is quite high, even among commercial customers ...". Dell has released a number of PCs, laptops and convertibles that were made specifically for Windows 8, such as the XPS 12 notebook, shown above. However, Dell did not give any specifics on its own Windows 8 PC sales.

As far as the overall PC market, which has seen better days, Dell seems confident that the industry will stay strong, saying, "PCs are still how business gets done." In an interview earlier today on the CNBC cable TV channel, Dell also predicted that Windows 8 would keep growing in the months to come. He stated: "With Windows 8 we are quite excited about the future of the PC. There are billion and a half PCs out there, and we believe there’s an upgrade cycle coming.”

Microsoft has already said that the pace of Windows 8 PC upgrades are outdoing that set for Windows 7 so far, but has given no specific upgrade sales numbers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    ^ Windows 8 is already more popular than Linux. :
    Android IS Linux. You need to add the android/linux figures together.

I'd be quite surprised if the dell and Acer CEOs collectively said that they were selling crap and invoking the Ratner effect.

Thank Post
    I have had it installed for fortnight now, it has some silly issues where M$ has failed imo, installation being one in that it requires the enabling of my onboard graphics card to actually boot up the geforce one I have installed here, to then disable it in windows and configure around the screens when its installed.

The start menu change to begin with was horrific and tiresome, but now a month in, I am finding it no different really, I am mainly in the desktop on it for the majority of the time, I like logging onto the machine by pin here and there are a lot of features I like in 8 - auto mounting of ISO/dmg files I like, inbuilt hyper-v is good as well, bitlocker being a normal part of the pro version.

Its different but works well after the initial changes, but it is very frustrating compared to what was the norm from 95 to windows 7 with the start menu when you first use it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Android IS Linux. You need to add the android/linux figures together.
    Depending how you define linux so is osx kindles routers and probably quite a few set top boxes

Thank Post
    Android IS Linux.

Although Android is built on top of the Linux kernel, the platform has very little in common with the conventional desktop Linux stack. In fact, during a presentation at the Google IO conference, Google engineer Patrick Brady stated unambiguously that Android is not Linux.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Depending how you define linux so is osx kindles routers and probably quite a few set top boxes
    All but the osx which is Unix. But yes huge number of systems run a Linux kernel. Windows has a majority of desktop PCs but is in a minority when it comes to computing devices.

With regards to the usability issues and following a question I posted here on edugeek where the feedback was to stick to win7 , I discussed these issues with our senior leadership team at the end of the last term. I provided slt a couple of sample systems and detailed the issues. I gave the SLT a couple of basic things to do eg shut the machine down, launch sims, get to their H drive etc.
    We were told - in no uncertain terms - that were not to deploy win8 because there will be too many staff training issues. We devised a 5 yr plan based on win7 with some Linux PCs.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 1st January 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Thank Post

Sort of like saying windows 7 is not windows - although it shares parts of the same kernel as windows server it doesn't include many of the utilities....

Thank Post
    although it shares parts of the same kernel as windows server it doesn't include many of the utilities....
    Almost every application that runs on Windows 7/8 will work on Windows Server 2008 R2/2012 and the core operating system files are identical too (not just the kernel).

Although there are several client and server retail packages of the Windows operating system, they share a common set of core system files, including the kernel image, Ntoskrnl.exe (and the PAE version, Ntkrnlpa.exe); the HAL libraries; the device drivers; and the base system utilities and DLLs. These files are identical for all editions of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. (Source, p42)

Thank Post
    Almost every application that runs on Windows 7/8 will work on Windows Server 2008 R2/2012 and the core operating system files are identical too (not just the kernel).
    well half the core operating system files, utilities and gui's on redhat are the same on Solaris, Ubuntu, BSD, HP-UX, AIX and OSX but they are not the same.
    Linux is a kernel - nothing more, nothing less. Saying Android 'isn't linux' is just stupid.

Thank Post
    Saying Android 'isn't linux' is just stupid.
    You had better tell Google that (and Richard Stallman).

Android is very different from the GNU/Linux operating system because it contains very little of GNU. Indeed, just about the only component in common between Android and GNU/Linux is Linux, the kernel. People who erroneously think "Linux" refers to the entire GNU/Linux combination get tied in knots by these facts, and make paradoxical statements such as "Android contains Linux, but it isn't Linux". If we avoid starting from the confusion, the situation is simple: Android contains Linux, but not GNU; thus, Android and GNU/Linux are mostly different. (Source)

Thank Post
    You had better tell Google that (and Richard Stallman).
    Now you're comparing GNU tools to android....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread