+ Post New Thread
Windows 8 Thread, Windows 8 - Airplane Mode (FlightMode) Setting - Remove option. in Technical; Hi, we have just come across this potential headache with Windows 8 and students. On our laptops students have the ...

Thank Post

Question Windows 8 - Airplane Mode (FlightMode) Setting - Remove option.

Hi, we have just come across this potential headache with Windows 8 and students.

On our laptops students have the ability to turn flightmode on and off from the charms menu. This disconnects all wifi and hides available networks but doesn't affect the wifi (on/off) light itself, so have no visual reference that there could be a problem for the next logged in user.

Searching using the usual places only seems to give us replies of how you enable/disable the option, but having the option removed altogether would be ideal, but without removing the whole charms menu.

Has anyone here in education come up with a solution or workaround for this at all?

Thank Post
    I'm also experiencing the same issue, I've looked through GPO to no avail. Would be interested if anyone has a solution.

Thank Post
    Same problem here, 1900+ tablets in our system and students are causing havoc toggling this 'FlightMode' option. They're on standard "User" level accounts on the tablets.

Desperately need a fix for this

I checked into Microsoft group policy reference to see if there's a setting for this - there isn't.

Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server:
    Download Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server from Official Microsoft Download Center

Do we have to whip up a registry hack to make this happen? Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance,

Thank Post
    Holy proverbial, this never crossed my mind. Just checked, our pupils have access to this also. I was just about to roll windows 8.1 Ent out. Slight oversight MS... Anyone found a workaround for this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    I've been looking into this for a while but have not found any way to disable it.

It is unfortunate that wireless drivers don't update the hardware light, but there is a visual cue: the logon screen has an airplane icon on it instead of showing the wireless signal. If this becomes an issue for us we will simply need to retrain teachers as to where to look.

I've also been unable to locate any entries in the event log that correspond definitively to airplane mode being activated so that I can nail the offending users; all I've found so far is 'network disconnected' entries, which could be for a variety of reasons.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread