+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Simple way to deploy custom Win 7 image using PXE and Clonezilla? in Technical; you cant easily stream SP1 into an installation, id just get a ISO with it already done, then roll out ...

Thank Post
    you cant easily stream SP1 into an installation, id just get a ISO with it already done, then roll out your reference image update it and capture it and the updates are retained along with the software you install (if you install any)

2. Thanks to SHimmer45 from:

marsdenprimary (19th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SHimmer45 View Post
    you cant easily stream SP1 into an installation, id just get a ISO with it already done, then roll out your reference image update it and capture it and the updates are retained along with the software you install (if you install any)
    thats what I did. Your Reference machine should have everything on it that you want your other machines to have so SP1 and all other updates and any software you want to pre-install (if you use GP to deploy then keep doing that).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SHimmer45 View Post
    So I would just basically send an image (with SP1) to a client machine, do the updates manually and then pull that image back and send it out again to other clients?

Thank Post
    Basically yes

Follow the guide I posted up. Its a bit outdated but will help you understand the steps easily.

6. Thanks to fiza from:

marsdenprimary (19th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Basically yes

Follow the guide I posted up. Its a bit outdated but will help you understand the steps easily.
    I definitely will. Thankyou very much for that. And Merry Christmas everyone!! x xx

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    So I would just basically send an image (with SP1) to a client machine, do the updates manually and then pull that image back and send it out again to other clients?
    On my base win 7 installs I install Win 7 SP1, and then in the task sequence (you will learn what this is) I put in an update step. So after it has installed Win 7 it pulls down important updates automaticly and installs them (including handling the restarts). When I go back to my machines I just press finish, log out and they are good to go.

MDT is a really easy install, it prompts for required components and runs off and gets them for you!

Enjoy! It's a very rewarding implementation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsonga View Post
    On my base win 7 installs I install Win 7 SP1, and then in the task sequence (you will learn what this is) I put in an update step. So after it has installed Win 7 it pulls down important updates automaticly and installs them (including handling the restarts). When I go back to my machines I just press finish, log out and they are good to go.

MDT is a really easy install, it prompts for required components and runs off and gets them for you!

Enjoy! It's a very rewarding implementation.
    Downloaded, following the steps... easier than everything i've been reading. Hands on is the way for me!

I also found this article to help include the updates in the OS deployment: Injecting Windows Updates into install WIM files via MDT | deKay's Blog

Thank Post
    I'll be honest, there are so many updates released that I just rely on the update step. We have a WSUS server so it isn't like our internet is getting hammered.

Thank Post

Using Clonezilla to Deploy Windows 7

Hi,

I've been doing a fair bit of research into this and come a blank. I'm looking for a simple way to install Windows 7 on a clean machine, customise it with relevant software such as Office etc... and then grab a copy of that image using Clonezilla to deploy using PXE...

Not sure how to do it. I've done it using FOG but want to use Clonezilla as our FOG server has run low on space.

Can the Clonezilla image be deployed using Windows 2008??
    You can certainly do this. I'm not using a MS server so MDT isn't an option for me. Here is what I do.

Install Windows to a reference PC
    On first boot put the machine into Audit mode (Google this for further details type shift, ctrl, F3 when asked for username)
    Perform all PC customisations you require (drivers applications desktop etc)
    Sysprep it and shutdown (Google IT Bros Windows 7 Sysprep)
    Boot with Clonezilla and capture Image
    Deploy this with your preferred solution Clonzilla Live/Clonezilla Server/FOG

You may need to prepare reference builds for different H/W architectures but otherwise this procedure is fairly straightforward particularly if you already use Clonezilla/FOG.

Good Luck

Rob

12. Thanks to ReBoot from:

marsdenprimary (20th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Okay now then- I have installed MDT, managed to create a Lite touch image for booting and successfully managed to use WDS to send this Lite Touch image to a PC booting using PXE (phew!) exciting. The next thing i need to know is once the basic image has been installed on the client how do i capture that image after installing apps etc...?

Do I have to boot it in audit mode? Or do a sysprep? And after that- do i use WDS to pull that image back to the server so i can deploy it to the other clients?? The other PC's are all the same model for this task.

Thank Post
    Okay now then- I have installed MDT, managed to create a Lite touch image for booting and successfully managed to use WDS to send this Lite Touch image to a PC booting using PXE (phew!) exciting. The next thing i need to know is once the basic image has been installed on the client how do i capture that image after installing apps etc...?

Do I have to boot it in audit mode? Or do a sysprep? And after that- do i use WDS to pull that image back to the server so i can deploy it to the other clients?? The other PC's are all the same model for this task.
    create a sysprep and capture task sequence in deployment workbench
    on your reference pc go to \\server\deplomentshare$\scripts\ and run the litetouch vbs file select your capture task and have a cup of insert drink here (personally i do it all on a vm so install windows/office/updates other twiddly bits then snapshot so i can go back to a pre sysprepped state)

Thank Post
    We have been using MDT for a while if you need to see a local set up as well you are welcome to come and see and ask questions. I currently have a task sequence that loads Windows 7, automates various installs etc then pauses for an manual steps and then once resumed, starts the capture.

Thank Post
    Another guide I used. Again outdated but most is still relevant.

how can I CAPTURE an Image using WDS - Windows Deployment Services (WDS) - www.windows-noob.com

17. Thanks to fiza from:

speckytecky (11th January 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm struggling.

Upon PXE booting everything goes great until the Setup is preparing you computer for first use screen- i've got an error saying 'the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error to install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation'

Any help appreciated!!

Thank Post
    I'm struggling.

Upon PXE booting everything goes great until the Setup is preparing you computer for first use screen- i've got an error saying 'the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error to install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation'

Any help appreciated!!
    I think when I had this error it was because I had more than the Administrator account on the "image" machine. If this is true in your case, you need to delete any accounts apart from the local admin and "system" type accounts. Check in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList to make sure there aren't any rogue profiles in there and delete if necessary. In my case, it was an account I use called "Setup" when I wiped/reinstall a machine from scratch (before I knew how to boot into the local admin account/audit mode straight away).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast