+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
IT News Thread, Raspberry Pi - Almost here in Other News; The Register has a good article on the 22 ($35) micro miracle which is due to ship in December. Maybe ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Raspberry Pi - Almost here

The Register has a good article on the 22 ($35) micro miracle which is due to ship in December. Maybe this can begin to help plug the coding gap in schools?

Psst, kid... Wanna learn how to hack? ? The Register

rpi_alphaboard_thumb.jpg

The RaspberryPi Model A and Model B (a reference to the BBC Micro) are expected to go on sale in December priced $25 and $35 (16 and 22 quid respectively). The Model A will have 128M of RAM and no Ethernet, whereas the Model B will be produced in larger numbers and have 256M of RAM plus 10/100MBit networking.
    Although bare boards will be made available first, Upton said he expects the foundation to offer a cased version with electronic documentation next year for the same price. Meanwhile, the Pi has some rivals: the closest being Texas Instruments and Digi-Key's BeagleBone, which is a small 1GHz ARM Cortex-A8-powered computer for about 60 quid. Although the Pi gang hopes to make all its schematics and associated low-level documentation available for all, the Beagleboard project actively publishes its engineering materials under an open-source licence.
    "In five years' time, we'll be looking back on the era of $300 Intel system units in bemusement," Upton concluded.

Thank Post
    I watched this on tv a few months back. very interesting.

Thank Post
    Yup, I've been waiting on these. I doubt they'll take off at my school, but you can be damn sure I'll pick up a couple....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I can get a small screen, would it be possible to wire it to the board without the need for drivers?

Something like an iPhone screen, but cheaper.

I'm starting to have an idea.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    If I can get a small screen, would it be possible to wire it to the board without the need for drivers?
    Yes - the best place to check is the Raspberry Pi forums, where this topic has been discussed several times. The Raspberry Pi itself has an interface suitible for attaching an LCD screen, although I can't remember the exact details, and I figure Mimo USB controlled (and powered) screens should work, although you'd need drivers for those.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    With ThinStation installed a very cheap ThinClient? Theres bound to be a port of it for this at some point.

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Yes - the best place to check is the Raspberry Pi forums, where this topic has been discussed several times. The Raspberry Pi itself has an interface suitible for attaching an LCD screen, although I can't remember the exact details, and I figure Mimo USB controlled (and powered) screens should work, although you'd need drivers for those.
    Useful. But not what I was thinking.

I have bigger ideas for it.

E-paper + Laser/optical[?] edged retractable touchscreen. On-screen keyboard.

Crack open either an old phone to get rf antenna/3g connector, install skype.

Whack in a rechargeable battery.

I've now got the most advanced phone in the world.

I'm thinking of it, when closed, looking like a black box. Which opens to have a handle, of sorts, either side and the screen in the middle.

Like I said, big ideas. [Read: It's cool... but it probably wont work.]

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw View Post
    With ThinStation installed a very cheap ThinClient? Theres bound to be a port of it for this at some point.

Wes
    This is what i was thinking when I first saw it. The one with the ethernet port is a thin client without the casing.

Thank Post
    i like this alot, shame it doesnt have an SATA port on it, be ideal for homebrewing NAS enclosures without all the hideous bloat which is seeping into the market imo.

Thank Post
    It's finally made it to manufacturing, unfortunately it's not being made in the UK as planned but in the Far East due to stupid import duty on components, ah well - We’ve started manufacture! | Raspberry Pi

Thank Post
    bloody tax getting in the way of something being made in the UK.... no wonder we dont make much anymore
    good to see it going into production

Thank Post
    Think they're going to have to up their production run pretty sharpish after Gove's announcement today!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Think they're going to have to up their production run pretty sharpish after Gove's announcement today!
    What have they said now?

does anyone know if we can pre-order the PI?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Nope can only buy when they get stock.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    They aren't doing pre-orders. I think the first batch will probably be available to buy sometime in February or March.

This means that the first units from the first batch will be rolling off the line at the end of January. This first batch will consist only of Model Bs, although you will be able to buy Model As later on. Details about whether we’ll wait for all 10k to come off the line before starting sales, and about what date we’ll be starting on, will come later; so that gives you something else for you to shift around nervously on your chairs about for at least another week or so. (Source)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    What have they said now?
    Gove has scrapped the ICT curricullum from September and replaced it with Computer Science, I can see demand from schools for the RPi going through the roof as it's a cheap and safe way for students to really get stuck into some programming.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast