+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Nova T4 in Technical; As we have some Capita people who wander around the site, I thought i'd post this as a sort of ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nova T4

As we have some Capita people who wander around the site, I thought i'd post this as a sort of 'open rant' to all.

Why, with the advent of SIMS.net and it's all in one nature, do we still have Nova T4? Why was T6 released without *all* of the same functionality that T4 has? Why has a v7 version, integrated into the usual .Net system, not been released?

As it stands, I know absolutely nothing about this old and useless piece of software.

The reason for this rant is that we have moved to a thin client based system, which OK, is not supported, but it shouldn't matter. I have installed SIMS.net on the terminal servers and it works fine. When someone comes to use T4, they click on 'Reload from SQL' and no passwords work - with our LEA SIMS bods saying something about 'Synchronising passwords' and the like. Now, how am I meant to keep track of this sort of thing? I thought all the old systems were supposed to be going?

*ARGH!*

Thank Post
    There is nothing in T4 that can't be done in T6 or SIMS .net....

It's just not as easy to use sometimes.

I think T4 is going at the next upgrade... Which leaves me trying to work out what it does so I can explain to people how they will need to do it in the future.

Thank Post
    I would scream if they took Nova T4 away. Yes T6 is better for making and maintaing the timetable, but T4 is so good for class lists.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The reason for this rant is that we have moved to a thin client based system, which OK, is not supported, but it shouldn't matter.
    Read 'not supported' as code for 'probably won't work', same way as Microsoft won't support Exchange and Outlook on the same box.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't read 'not supported' as 'probably won't work' as both Capita and our LEA are in the process of setting up remote terminal services offerings themselves...

Actually, they support SIMS.net on TS just fine, but if it is the TS setup specifically causing the problem, they don't support that, if you get my drift.

@User3204 - why do you think it's going at the next upgrade?

Thank Post
    T4 is not going at the next upgrade. It will be around for some time yet but now that it is not used for cover is intended primarily as a convenient way of printing timetables and group lists. The current SIMS roadmap on SupportNet shows support for Nova as a reporting tool continuing until March 2011.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For the record T4 will no longer be supported after Feb 09, which, in a typical roadmap sense, will force timetablersto start using T6

Doesnt mean that schools will stop using it though, as its actually incredibly useful for "non-timetabling" staff to print lists, see who is on cover etc. Whilst Capita have integrated the same data into SIMS.net, its very cumbersome trying to locate what you look for - T4, click a few buttons and bang - you have what you need.

Thank Post
    I agree - they need to build that simple click system to get reports out into SIMS.net

We stopped using T4 for anything else this year but we keep pulling the data into it and letting staff use it as default user to get quick class lists etc.

Thank Post
    Problem Capita's got is SQL 2008 is on the way. So they can either build SQL 2005 reports then port them to 2008. Or wait for 2008 then make them work.

They never (well rarely) looks a feature without someone moaning to high heaven. So everything in Nova-T has to .NET before they can release it to the public. Nova isn't exactly the simpliest to code either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    Cover 7 is what people will be using instead of cover module in T4 and also class lists will be more straight forward in Sims.net. T4 has been proving to have a memory leak (not surprising as it has not been updated for quite sometime) which causes problems with the system locks and boots users off after sometime logged in.
    T4 was good in it's day but progression needs to be implemented for what the Government has in store for Sims.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread