+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Caravanners in General; Just out of interest - any Caravan fans here? What have you got and what do you pull it with? ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Caravanners

Just out of interest - any Caravan fans here?

What have you got and what do you pull it with? Where are your favourite sites?

We've got a Senator Series 5 Virginia (the one with the island bed and middle bathroom). I pull it with a Ford Kuga 2.0 Diesel. Awning is a Doreema.

The missus and I love Caerfai Bay in St David's, Wales but have just come back from Wood Farm in Dorset. First summer holiday with a baby on board.

Any other touring fans out there?

Gareth

Thank Post
    Im a motorhomer! Love it to bits... Off on a well earnt rest next week down Devon for 2 weeks cannot wait am absolutley knackered.

Thank Post
    Living in the South, and having to cross the New Forest regularly, I assure you, there is a special circle of h3ll reserved for caravaners! Sorry and all, but there you go!

4. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

garethedmondson (27th May 2012)

Thank Post
    er, not a fan of caravans (at least those on driveways and roads). Expensive mobile porta potties.

Knowing my absolute hatred of caravans, the guys in my office placed some fake ads in Autotrader with a good spec van at an exceptional price. Needless to say that my mobile phone number had to be changed shortly afterwards.

6. 3 Thanks to jdoyle:

garethedmondson (4th August 2011), nephilim (4th August 2011), SteveBentley (4th August 2011)

Thank Post
    We used to have a Lunar many years ago and loved it. Towed behind a Hillman Hunter estate (shows just how many years). We used to mainly go with the Camping Club and when our daughter was little, the kids used to come around to take her for a walk and we never saw her again until she needed feeding. I'm sure that's one of the reasons she is so sociable now. I'd have liked a motorhome but the missus is totally against the idea.

Thank Post
    @jdoyle: That is quality. Must make a note of that one!

Thank Post
    I was a caravan owner for many years, my last tow-car was a 245bhp Volvo T5 estate... 0-60mph in under 12 seconds with a 16ft caravan on the back

We have had a motorhome for the last 8 years, recently downsized to a 6 metre panel van conversion, heading off to the Alps in a weeks time. Mainland Europe is so much more caravan & motorhome friendly than the UK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    We have had a motorhome for the last 8 years, recently downsized to a 6 metre panel van conversion, heading off to the Alps in a weeks time. Mainland Europe is so much more caravan & motorhome friendly than the UK.
    That's what I fancied doing but campsites aren't that cheap now and fuel costs don't help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    That's what I fancied doing but campsites aren't that cheap now and fuel costs don't help.
    True, costs are going up. I would be wary of splashing out on a 7.5 tonne American style RV with a 6 litre petrol engine right now!

Fuel costs impact all sorts of travel....... however a modern diesel based motorhome of modest proportions can easily yield mid-30s MPG, more if you relax & take your foot off the go-faster pedal. Low profile vehicles or panel van conversions tend to be lighter & have less frontage & so produce less drag & yield better fuel economy.

Also, in Europe many countries still allow 'wild camping'. In France there are 'Aires' and in Germany 'Stellplatz' where you can park a motorhome overnight for a few Euros. These provide a space to park, fresh water, waste disposal & sometimes electricity & toilets/showers. We don't use these facilities ourselves, preferring to use proper camp sites but many people are happy to do so. In our experience campsites are generally cheaper than in the UK, with most offering better facilities, especially in the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland & Northern Italy. Diesel fuel is also cheaper across most of Europe (apart from Scandinavia). A quick detour through Luxembourg to fill up with diesel is always a good idea

rad
    Thank Post
    We, well my OH dad is currently rebuilding an Earlybay VW camper. the previous one was a 2ltr petrol engine that drank it like it was going out of fashion. The current one has a 1.9 diesel engine been fitted into the back of it.

If I can get a picture up here somehow I will do.

Thank Post
    I think one of the motorcaravanning magazines has a series of articles running about renovating an old LDV & converting/upgrading it.... lots of people do, I would love to have the time.

There is quite a cult following for the VW campervans.... our new van is based upon a 6m Peugeot Boxer 2.2 diesel. Too early to say what its fuel economy will be like as it is not run in yet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I agree totally about the prices - they are going up and often for not much change at the camp site.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    We, well my OH dad is currently rebuilding an Earlybay VW camper. the previous one was a 2ltr petrol engine that drank it like it was going out of fashion. The current one has a 1.9 diesel engine been fitted into the back of it.

If I can get a picture up here somehow I will do.
    Yes please do - I'm considering getting a VW Camper (split windscreen) and doing it up. With the missus on maternity pay at the moment it is but a dream but the plans are all there.

Gareth

rad
    Thank Post
    Self Build Motor Caravanners Club or SBMCC website is great for self builds and info.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Almost a year since I posted the question. Since then we have changed our Bailey Senator for a Bailey Olympus 525. The little one is too young to travel abroad without a thousand service stops in between so we are staying in the Uk..

Are all the Edugeek caravanners ready for the Summer?

Gareth

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information