+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Virgin Media 50Mb cheaper and 10Mb upload trials! in General; ...
    Thank Post

Virgin Media 50Mb cheaper and 10Mb upload trials!

Just read on Digital Spy that the price of 50Mb comes down to £28 with a phoneline from 1st September - and there is still no traffic management on it - bargain! We have 10Mb at the moment but i'm seriously considering upgrading when our "negotiated" contract runs out in a few months.

..and to top it off, they have listened to us and are trialling 10Mb upload! Anyone here benefitting from that (Midlands and North East)? I've always thought the downstream/upstream ratio on VM was pants, so that finally seems to be getting addressed (doesn't say how long though until it gets rolled out properly)!

2. 2 Thanks to dgsmith:

CPLTD (15th July 2009), use-IP (15th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Just read on Digital Spy that the price of 50Mb comes down to £28 with a phoneline from 1st September - and there is still no traffic management on it - bargain! We have 10Mb at the moment but i'm seriously considering upgrading when our "negotiated" contract runs out in a few months.

..and to top it off, they have listened to us and are trialling 10Mb upload! Anyone here benefitting from that (Midlands and North East)? I've always thought the downstream/upstream ratio on VM was pants, so that finally seems to be getting addressed (doesn't say how long though until it gets rolled out properly)!
    Cant Wait currently on 20MB but just gotta have it,

Thank Post
    Same, hope it's not a trial period offer or whatever.

Thank Post
    Virgin are the worst company out there for traffic shaping. You get 10mb and they let you enjoy that whopping speed for about half hour until they kick in with the 2mb slow down.

Oh and this always happens at peak times, ie. when you want to use it

Once i get my house i am paying through the nose for whoever is uncapped and un-throttled. That will never be VM and co.

Thank Post
    It's less of a pain on the 20mbit package as you still get 5mbit during throttling which is only if I've pulled down a large back up or so.

To be honest though, I'm happier with cable 'working' than bothering to keep up with ADSL2 and every tiny whinge on the phone line causing it upset!

Thank Post
    Not as bad as Plus.net. Terrible for traffic shaping.

Can't wait to move, should be in a cabled area then.. I hope, na, pray!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    Virgin are the worst company out there for traffic shaping. You get 10mb and they let you enjoy that whopping speed for about half hour until they kick in with the 2mb slow down.

Oh and this always happens at peak times, ie. when you want to use it

Once i get my house i am paying through the nose for whoever is uncapped and un-throttled. That will never be VM and co.
    To be fair, their restricted limit is still sufficient to do most things (down to 2.5Mb on 10mb is still reasonable), and at least they don't cut you off or charge you more for overusing (well, I guess if you use 100% 24/7 they may have something to say about it).

I agree their threshold could be better and the upload currently is awful, but this is at least some positive news and a step in the right direction from them. Besides, this thread is mainly about the 50Mb package which currently isn't capped, and I guess if it ever is, the worst you'll get will be 25% (judging by current setup), so ~12.5Mb/sec?

Thank Post
    If it says 20 it should be 20. If it says 50 it should be 50. It may not be capped now but as soon as VM send in their mathematicians they will work out 50 should be 10.

False advertising from a crappy company. We should never have to make do with something when we are paying for something else.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post

Would be great and the fact I keep getting leaflets etc through the postbox about virgin media this that and the other - oh but hold on

No they refuse to ever cable this area !!

So why am I getting the leaflets then ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Would be great and the fact I keep getting leaflets etc through the postbox about virgin media this that and the other - oh but hold on

No they refuse to ever cable this area !!

So why am I getting the leaflets then ?
    because you buy the sunday rags mabye lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    because you buy the sunday rags mabye lol
    speaking from experience haha lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    It may not be capped now but as soon as VM send in their mathematicians they will work out 50 should be 10.
    I've had VM since telewest days... always been uncapped, so rather their mathematicians are very slow or they are honest about the capping.

Fair do's on the traffic shaping, but they are uncapped. Must have done about 10GB this weekend!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    I am thoroughly confused by this thread. I can't remember ever seeing anything good said about Virgin Media/ntl before.

Is the cablemodem technical support line still a premium rate number? The £15 they scammed me for on that was the final nail in the coffin for me, and I cancelled the last few accounts I looked after in 2007. Worse still, the reason I'd called was to report simultaneous faults in three locations; 4 days later the attending engineer confessed that they were entirely due to a change on the network that had caused massive compatibility issues with all the Terayon modems they had supplied 5 years earlier.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like 50mbps as much as the next guy, but I'd rather stick red hot needles under my fingernails than give Virgin Media my custom again.

Thank Post
    I don't know why this is a now a dig at VM. I agree with *some* of the negative points here, but on the whole, we have rarely had any problems with our service (bb+phone), and only once i've ever needed to contact their customer support, and that was before I felt proficient enough to handle the problems myself. The last unacceptable downtime was during the upgrade from 4mb to 10mb, but I knew that was going on and put up with it. They also bent over backwards to give us a good royalty discount for being long standing customers, so I can't personally say "I'd rather stick red hot needles under my fingernails" than continue to give them business.

I was merely trying to advertise the fact that a company, whom as we all know hasn't got great press as of late (and evident just by these few comments), is actually taking steps in the right direction and 2 of my main gripes - price (albeit on their highest tier only, but still better than a kick in the face), and upload speed increase trials which I know alot of customers desperately want and which I agree at the moment is ridiculous and embarassing.

As a customer, I felt this was positive news and thought it was worth mentioning! I would rather the topic be closed than continuation of off-topicness which isn't relavant to the point I was making..

Thank Post
    That's great news - well spotted.
    Been on cable since ntl days.
    At £28 that'll be about the same as we pay now for 20MB.
    I think they honour same deals for existing customers.

10MB uploads would be very interesting for CCTV uplinks and recording to the web.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast