Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tickmike

Members
  • Posts

    396
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tickmike

  1. Great Site 'Beeswax' . I have always been interested in space,http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/index.html A Few years a go I sent an email to the international space station and was surprised when they sent me a reply. I was going to get the school to send one but they discontinued that service. Re ....One of the things I like about the images is the way the Moon module is a blaze of colour . The brown /orange colour,is 'Kevlar' sheet, Its a very lightweight plastic which can stand high temperatures and is a good insulator and it used to be very expensive.when I was a research scientist we used it mainly for its good electrical insulation . Regards Michael.
  2. Back again. OS=W2K pro. Does anyone know how I get rid of these bookmarks. I want to delete and reinstall from the back up file. I have tried opening Firefox > bookmark tab > manage bookmarks > Edit > select all > then this 'greys out' the delete button, so I cannot delete ALL the bookmarks in one go . Do any one know which folder has the main bookmark files ?. Had a look in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox... but could not see it.!. Michael.
  3. Hi. The update was to add 'Spoofstick' (shows the 'URL' at the top of the page) But I was already using it !, so that's what confused it when it tried to install it again. I will send them a bug report. From Michael.
  4. Hi . The new firefox update (1.5.0.8 ) has b*** up all my bookmarks and other settings , Its a good job I took a back up of the bookmarks the other day !. From Michael.
  5. Hello All, Nice post . Just like to say that my Daughter (12) is very proud that she is the flag bearer for St. Johns Ambulance at our local cenotaph today with lots of other young children from scouts, army cadets etc. She went along for a practice yesterday and it turned out that they had a small ceremony because it was the 11th and an larger one today Sunday 12th. Let Us Remember. Michael.
  6. Hi Ben, Well that's good news, I will try that out tomorrow, It been some time since I looked at Thunderbird.
  7. Hi Ben, You cannot use 'Hotmail' With Thunderbird ! or you could not last time I tried, Just been doing some more searches and It could be due to my proxy server ? . The madding thing it works most of the time , and it does the same on my daughters computer too and comes up with the same error message. I may put a post on 'smoothwall' forum. Regards Michael. Ps. for Ben ... that suggestion about those AP units worked ok thanks
  8. Hi All. At home since I have gone on to broadband I still getting lots of problems with my emails in OLE, I have tried all I know and need your help. My set up BT line> Speedtouch A536 ADSL Gateway>Smoothwall Box Red/Green>Switch>LAN >windows 2000 pro. All computers with OLE email accounts ( Hotmail/Lycos )=Http Mail. On 'Internet options' page > connections, I deleted the Dialup settings, set up the LAN settings with the smoothwall proxy 192.168.0.1:800. Also in outlook > tools >accounts ..I have set each account to use Lan settings. I have no problems with Firefox. Sometimes it will work ok, I can open OLE and it checks my mail and I can send mail, Other times nothing work and I get this :- An unknown error has occurred> Configuration: Protocol: HTTPMail Port: 0 Secure(SSL): 0 Code: 80004005 I have googled it and looked on MS Knowledge base, but that refers to dial up only. Do you think it is to do with the Speedtouch has a firewall in and I'm using Smoothwall as well . or have I not set something up. Any Ideas ?. From Michael.
  9. Should say the Proxy for my Smoothwall box eg. 192.168.0.1:800
  10. Hi Alonebfg. Hope its not to late to say 'Welcome'. Hi. Joedetic. Thanks for the advice, The clue was in my first post above ... 'Outlook Express' ( I can still use my dialup to access them ). I deleted the 'Dial up' (default) settings in 'Internet Options' and It worked ok . I had set up My Proxy settings and the Ethernet settings but forgot about the default settings in Internet Options. :oops: Regards Michael.
  11. Hello All. I've just this week gone over to broadband at home and I need your advice how to change my emails accounts eg. Hotmail, Lycos, Yahoo.... in 'Outlook Express' ( I can still use my dialup to access them ). My wife and daughter also have accounts on there settings. My set up BT Phone line>speedtouch 536 Gateway> Smoothwall > LAN. My ISP have sent me email settings for pop3/IMAP server , SMTP , Webmail(pop3) Regards Michael.
  12. Hi. I have seen this web site on our local TV, not tried them but looks good ?. freecycle Go to uk then select your area. Regards Michael.
  13. Hi. When I owned a 'Newsagents' Ability Office was free on the cover CD on a lot of computer mags. We used it in school for a number of years until they got MS office. Ability office From Michael.
  14. Hi John. Try the above site again, It was my fault :oops: , It should now work. Its on BT wholesale site Not BT.com. From Michael.
  15. Hi All. ..... Edit this page 4.10.06 ..... I found this BTWholesale web site called 'Network story' the other day if you got a spare few hours. BT Wholesale Home page Go to NetworkInfo BT own and manage the largest communications infrastructure in the United Kingdom. To find out how we can help or to learn more... Explore our Network Then go to The Network Story Then pull up a nice chair. Regards Michael.
  16. Hi AJ. "Happy Birthday" You have some catching up on me (57), This early retirement is great, Never been so busy all my life ! . All the Best from Michael. :occasion4:
  17. Hi Ric. Re....Unfortunately, adslnation forgot to put the new microfilter in the box! Rang them up and they will be sending one out which is good. These fancy microfilters are supposed to improve the line quality and eek every last bit of speed out whilst clearing up any noise on the phone line. At £9 it's worth a pop. Are you going to use one of the 'Master socket' type filters. I have just ordered broadband and should get it next week (hope) and I was going to use one of these master socket filters, and I'm going to place my modem next to the master socket then RJ45 cable to my loft where my wireless router will be. Re....not bad considering my line supposedly only supports 512kbps! (out in the sticks) How far are you from the exchange ?.I'm in the sticks about 4kl from the exchange, but hoping to get about 4>5Mb download. Good luck.
  18. Hi Ben. Re. Had a reply from RSPB today and they say it's fine to do..... Did not think it was a problem. Just had this mad idea, What if Edugeek's make this a project, have a set of materials and parts needed to construct the said 'bird box' then we all get the schools all over the Britain/world with our members in to get the children to build the box's and we could help them get the camera working on the school network and also have an web site so schools could see each others nest box web cam's from all over. Well it was just an idea. :x From Michael.
  19. Hi, Try 'Pc Inspector' > http://www.pcinspector.de/download.asp?language=1 It's Free and it's good. Regards Michael.
  20. Hi. Tom As I have put in some of my other posts This is a Reg.Charity and there is just no spare cash for things like this. The Parents have a job to raise the money to pay the three Teachers and run the school. All the ICT equipment has been donated ( and my time ). So Tom If you guys at Smoothwall would like to Donate to the school some hardware or even the software to run a good system you can PM me as the contact for the school. (Fingers crossed) Regards Michael.
  21. Hi Ben. I Have been thinking of doing the same but too much thinking, so may get it done for next spring. Have a look at this >http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/wildlife_gardening/bluetitcam.htm >http://www.enjoybirdsmore.co.uk/ We have a box about 2M from a class room window so I could just use a USB miniature camera and 'Active USB ' extension lead into school. Regards Michael.
  22. Re _Bat_ >There is obviously no way they could install extra long USB cables etc around the length of the classroom due to the distance. If you do mean USB cables, you can get 'Active Extension Cables' 5M long and you can string 5 together, Cost about £12 ea. From Michael.
  23. Re "woody" I was just reading the 'small' print on the eclipse site and came across this > http://kb.eclipse.net.uk/display/2n/kb/article.asp?aid=2395 http://kb.eclipse.net.uk/display/2n/index.asp?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.1612818 You have probably tried this so good luck with your problems. I also have gone off USB modems when the school had ISDN and I built my first smoothbox ( gave up in the end trying to get it to recognise the usb modem) Regards Michael.
  24. Thanks all, A few things to test out there. Michael. Ps. Has this site got an ironing viurs ?? "So how do you iron a jacket then?????"
  25. Hello all . If I wanted to convert the school to Linux . 1..what are the best Distro's , 2..where do you get them from, 3..what do you use for a workstation.to replace W2K Pro. 4..what do you use for a server to replace 'ms server2000' 5.. can you still use software that is suitable for ms 2000 .eg they have a lot of school type software. From Michael.
×
×
  • Create New...