Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

AXE

Members
  • Posts

    334
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AXE

  1. I've spent most of my working life cabling in a school that had seven sites, five of which were grade 2 listed buildings. With two foot thick stone walls it is difficult, but not impossible. As for being too far away... If there was a school on the Moon, I'd walk if I had to.
  2. Keep trying, never give up. I'm sure you'll have far more success that I've had.
  3. Check for yourself: Find houses for sale in EX32 0SX
  4. Not confident with which part?
  5. AXE

    HDD Password Recovery

    You can download Hiren's Boot CD from http://www.hirensbootcd.net/
  6. If all else fails, you could try backing up to a folder on the SQL Server, then copy the backup from there.
  7. Toshiba Satellite Pro P300
  8. To clarify: Refers to the server. You can have more than one 'copy' of the SQL Server Software on that server, each 'copy' (instance) installed after the first must be given a name. The name of the database to back up. Don't change 'master' in the script. For example: A basic server with one instance of SQL Server and the Server name SQL1 would look like: sqlcmd -S SQL1 -i
  9. You can script backups: save the following code in a file you can toggle Trusted Connection using the -E flag You CAN backup the files in the database directory, but you have to shut down the SQL Server services first. Usually the account the service is running under (either SQL Server or SQL Server Agent) needs to have permission to access the folder you're backing up to.
  10. I've found that schools just don't want volunteers, even when you offer to pay for the cost of the CRB check.
  11. Pretty good? I'd kill to get results like that!
  12. That's a shame IanT. What school was it?
  13. Yeah, this country's had it.
  14. Recently, I've been finding increasing instances of an annoying virus, it's still not picked up by Anti-Virus software (Sophos, AVG, Norton, NOD, Avast, F-Secure etc.). It infects automatically via removable storage\USB\Firewire devices (when formatted as NTFS) and over a network via UNC\shares (will also crack a WEP key on wireless networks to spread). Usually runs the process csrss.exe at 100% (not the genuine csrss.exe). It's easy to remove via recovery console, but still leaves some lasting damage to the registry. Creates the following files: %SYSTEMROOT%\csrss.exe %SYSTEMROOT%\ctfmon.exe %SYSTEMROOT%\logonui.exe %SYSTEMROOT%\msnmsgr.exe %SYSTEMROOT%\userinit.exe And in each NTFS drive root: Autorun.inf Autorun.exe Recycler.exe System Volume Information.exe Final.exe Changes the registry: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\ - Adds entries to autorun from removable storage devices HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\ - Sets Userinit to "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\userinit.exe, %SYSTEMROOT%\csrss.exe" normally "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\userinit.exe," - Sets System to "%SYSTEMROOT%\userinit.exe" normally "" HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\ - Sets AntiVirusDisableNotify to 1 normally 0 - Sets AntiVirusOverride to 1 normally 0 - Sets FirewallDisableNotify to 1 normally 0 - Sets FirewallOverride to 1 normally 0 - Sets FirstRunDisabled to 1 normally absent - Sets UpdatesDisableNotify to 1 normally 0 HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\ - Sets Type to "By Rover" normally "checkbox" HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\SuperHidden\ - Sets Type to "By Rover" normally "checkbox" - Sets UncheckedValue to 0 normally 1 HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ - Sets ShowSuperHidden to 0 - Sets SuperHidden to 0 - Sets HideFileExt to 1 HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ - Sets DisallowRun to 1 normally absent HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\ Adds entries for: - regedit, taskmgr, cmd, rstrui, msconfig and various other anti-virus\anti-malware products HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\ - Sets DisableCMD to 1 normally absent HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\ - Sets DisableTaskMgr to 1 normally absent - Sets DisableRegistryTools to 1 normally absent HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies - Sets Allow Programmatic Cut_Copy_Paste to 0 normally absent It's easy enough to script a repair to the registry. Hope this helps someone.
  15. Other people get all the interviews...
  16. There's the sticky and the wiki http://www.edugeek.net/wiki/index.php/Career
  17. Good luck with your search. It's not easy to get a job at the moment.
  18. So... Did anyone get an interview yet?
  19. Not as much as it hurts me to read that. Makes me feel sick, that you can turn down two interviews when I can't even get one.
  20. AXE

    Where now?

    A few years ago I set up a website for the local chamber of trade and commerce. Every business was offered a site, with their own domain name and email forwarding. The site had a private forum that all members had access to. Even had an auction-style facility (like a mini-ebay for local businesses). It took no more than an hour a day to manage and business grew steadily.
  21. I need less competition, not more.
  22. Yet another one. Is something happening in Devon that I should know about? ICT Technician - The King's School Ottery St Mary, Devon EX11 1RA Website: www.thekings.devon.sch.uk Salary: £14891 to £16663 Closing Date: 8th June 2009
  23. Here's another one: ICT Technician - Cullompton Community College Cullompton, Devon EX15 1DX Required from 1 July 2009, or earlier if possible, to form a team of 2 technicians based at this college, managed remotely by the technical support team from Uffculme School. This is a full time post for a well qualified and enthusiastic individual. Details about the school and job description can be found on our website. Website: www.cullompton.devon.sch.uk Salary: £16991 to £19427 Closing Date: 3rd June 2009
  24. Here's one I found earlier. I was a previous applicant and now not welcome to apply apparently. http://www.devonjobs.gov.uk/devon/jobdetails.asp?jobid=24838 ICT Technician - Great Torrington Community School & Sports College A qualified and flexible individual is required to assist with the administration, support and maintenance of the school network. This post has a partial focus on media management and web development. You must possess an enthusiasm for ICT and have previous experience of hardware and software installation and configuration. Previous applicants need not re-apply. Closing date: 3rd June 2009
  25. I always ask for feedback. I usually only get a standard prepared response.
×
×
  • Create New...