-
Posts
2,108 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by supportman
-
Sims was never designed to be run like that so I doubt it would work. Personally I would wait for Sims 8 or move to something like bromcom.
-
Answering my own question: I couldn't work out how to get a link to onedrive or their user areas. But this will be fine I think.
-
Bromcoms twitter feed has been announcing quite a few academy chains migrating to them recently, maybe the tide is finally turning on Capita's monopoly?
-
Having just done this exact migration recently, its been an absolute nightmare compared to LTSB! The start menu has taken me days to work out and the 1st time logins are twice as long now. I ended up needing to apply a local startmenu.xml policy that kept breaking from the smallest errors. Disabling Microsoft store doesn't seem to work reliably using Group Policy. Sometimes it blocks it, other times not(I just had a student tell me he managed to install 'world of tanks' but now it says disabled so we cant uninstall it. Then don't get me started about the bloatware icons that education version keeps creating on each new local user profile. Add to that, me not knowing if the soon upcoming 1903 update is going to re-install all the bloatware or break anything else... Wish i'd stuck with LTSB/C to be honest!! Its been problem free since we installed it. We are using Office 2019 so no issue with future Office 365 upgrades. The only thing that worried me and visual studio going forward for our computer scientists. Someone mentioned it might not work in the future hence our move.
-
Does anyone have an XML with just chrome on it?
-
We moved to a co.uk a long time ago, much better in my opinion.
-
Perfect! thanks a local policy fixed that nicely. I put the image in C:\Windows\Web\Screen\newbackground.jpg. Hopefully it doesnt get overwritten on windows updates!!
-
Any other ideas on how to change the lock screen image? Still cant get it to work
-
FMS - ACCESS EDUCATION LINKS - HCSS (budget) - LGfL filtering issue?
supportman replied to Koldov's topic in MIS Systems
I thought HCSS was all online now? -
Thanks! Do you have those scripts to hand at all? Seems like the Pin-App one is custom? Are you running the script on each login?
-
Hi all, I'm just finishing off our new Windows 10 1809 Education image but have a few minor things outstanding. 1) How do I disable the Microsoft store? I have run the powershell command "Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage" but it keeps coming back when users login. Can it be blocked with a web filter at all? 2) How do I remove the orphaned start menu items for the old store apps above in the screenshot? I already removed them with powershell but the links remain on new users start menus. 3) Every time windows launches with a new local profile it comes up with an error message about not being able to create a shortcut on the deskop. Our desktops are redirected and read-only, so how do I prevent this message popping up on first login for users? 4) Lastly, how do I change the logon image? I've clicked the option "show lockscreen background picture" in settings >> lockscreen but it still shows the default windows 10 backgrounds
-
Exchange 2008, wow thats old When we did this 10 years ago we just made PST's for teachers and wiped the students emails at the end of the school year. I don't remember any issues and it was done in less that 24hrs. I'm sure there are more modern migration methods now but the system worked quite well just using the outlook client and as you say drag and drop. We also changed our domain at the same time to something a lot shorter than the old .sch.uk addresses which meant we could do a lot of the prep work beforehand.
-
Sage is a hosted solution I believe, not cloud. Then again I think PS financials does exactly the same thing! Not sure on the solution, maybe just put the link in their my documents?
-
Yep we had this issue as well recently, Tucassi changed to TLS 1.3 without telling anyone last summer and it broke all the Windows 2008 server installs overnight. That was fun. There is actually a way to get windows 2008 to install the modern certificates but we gave up and built a new server in the end. Our tills were upgraded by cunninghams for about 1.5k each.
-
Great to hear there is a solution for ParentPay as thats the big one for us certainly. The only other one we use would be RoomBookingSystem.
-
This is the biggest issue here but it is more one of naivety at the moment as we have 6 or 7 bits of software hanging off Sims that people use daily. Can you list what products you use and what works/doesn't work. I also hear Bromcom can do a few extra things like comms and parent engagement. i would be interested in what you use.
-
Looking to go to HCSS from Corerro. Looks to be the most modern cloud solution.
-
I've taken the local Tesla taxi service to Heathrow a few times down the M4, the guy always has it on autopilot. Its certainly the future...
-
[bromcom] School near Coventry with Bromcom can we visit please?
supportman replied to msi_school's topic in MIS Systems
Seems like a fair few schools are moving this way based on their twitter feed recently! I think its particularly good for Multi Academy Trusts. -
Out of interest what is best practice for virtualizing a domain controller on a domain now? Should it be on an off domain Hyper-V host or on domain?
-
I have an Intel Extreme 8th Gen NUC. Works very well, fits on the back of my monitor, very fast, 4K and has all the ports I need. EDIT: I've added 10gbit Ethernet with one of these via the thunderbolt port https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/product/qna-tb-10gbe
-
Works well for us as a mail rule, staff just have to type ENCRYPT: into the subject line.
-
[ms office - o365] Mapping Onedrive - HELP!!
supportman replied to Bhavesh78's topic in Office Software
Not managed it myself, was always unreliable for me with scripts.
