-
Posts
2,108 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by supportman
-
Managing IT jobs list over summer holidays
supportman replied to DrBeaker's topic in How do you do....it?
Trello here as well. -
If anyone wants a forum to vent their frustrations at the "educational" version of windows 10 and start menu issues then the Engineering teams for windows 10 are taking part in an "ask me anything" thread next week https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Education-AMA/Announcing-an-Education-AMA-on-July-16th/m-p/734768 Could be a great chance to get this improved.
-
Yep thanks all, I was suprised it wasn't possible but you are all right it can be done just in stages. In the end Veeam handled it all for me, I just had to restore to the new 2019 host, boot the VM and then shutdown. Upgrade the config files by right clicking on the VM to configuration v9 and all is good!
-
Interesting as I read it wasn't possible, the configuration files changed or something. No matter, Veeam sorted me out, not for the first time!
-
I <3 VEEAM! Just backed up the VM and restored to the new 2019 server. Works well until we can upgrade the VMs to 2019 as well.
-
Not yet, but I was hoping there was a more proven migration path Its a simple VM so I will give it a go.
-
Turn everything off, come back in 2 weeks and switch it all back on again. Seems simple to me.
-
Is it possible to export and import a virtual machine between 2008 R2 and 2019? When I export the VM and try to import into 2019 it just says "NO virtual machines found"? Is there a migration path?
-
Don't use Webdav, we tried this and it was unusable sadly.
-
Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4 released
supportman replied to Arthur's topic in Enterprise Software
Just unpack the iso and run the installer, I did this last week on a new 2019 backup server and it upgraded fine. You can't do it just with the upgrade patch if you are a few versions behind like I was. -
We have a 2nd server room with a full Hyper-V infrastructure that is unused, Backup server and 2nd DC. Having a single point of failure is a very bad idea, whether that's a SAN, Blade enclosure or RAID on a single storage box.
-
Poor reporting though apparently according to our finance team who got a demo.
-
HCSS is the only other one really Its now called Access Education I think after a rebrand https://www.theaccessgroup.com/education/finance/
-
Here is the unbranded FLIRC case https://flirc.tv/more/raspberry-pi-4-case It's about $25 including shipping so not terrible.
-
FLIRC are doing a great case, I have the old one and its better than any official case. https://flirc.tv/more/kodi-edition-raspberry-pi-4-case
-
Does anyone have a quick way to remove the mail app and edge from the taskbar on new Windows 10 installs?
-
We migrated from Sharepoint 2010 onsite to Sharepoint online a long time ago now. But all I did was setup the design again from scratch and then drag and drop the files into the online version. We kept the 2010 online for a few years but changed the shortcuts, eventually people forgot about the 2010 version and have used online ever since. I didn't see the point in migrating the entire thing and it was a good idea as its quite a big jump in features and permissions.
-
Strange they built more of the 2gb model than the 4gb. The flagship was always going to be more in demand.
-
Office 2019 works perfectly on it as well.
-
We have 1903 currently but if I was doing it again I would choose LTSC. We have a set of LTSC in our library and they just work a lot better and don't break every 6 months.
-
[1903, au] Windows 10 v1903 (19H1) now available from MSDN
supportman replied to Arthur's topic in Windows 10
Mandatory profiles aren't really used any more. Local is the way to go with windows 10. -
Office 365 works fine with a 0.5mbit connection, let alone a 35mbit one! Bandwidth is no reason to discount the cloud in my opinion. I couldn't imagine working with onsite exchange servers any more, complete waste of admins time for such a simple task as using email. Best thing we ever did was more to Office 365 from onsite Exchange. Back then we had a 5mbit internet line. Because nobody really uses onsite exchange any more, the future has been cloud for years.
-
That's very cool to have the backup DC in the cloud, seems a bit expensive though. Does it just work and sync like any normal DC? Do you need to do something special with DNS?
-
Very cool! The future for sure. Glad you are the one testing it though... and not me
-
[1903, au] Disabling Powershell for students?
supportman replied to supportman's topic in Windows 10
It actually seems its easier to use this Group Policy: User config >> Polices >> admin templates >> system >> don't run specified Windows Applications Then add powershell.exe & powershell_ise.exe Source: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-10/198700-applocker-block-cmd-powershell-but-allow-scripts-via-gpo-logon-scripts.html
