Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ICTNUT

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    1,433
  • Joined

Everything posted by ICTNUT

  1. Sorry to pick this thread up again but we recently had this problem not with users running on the PC but on pendrives, solved the problem this way: Within our Student GPO: User Config -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings ->Software restriction Policies -> Additional Rules Path rule A path rule identifies programs by their file path. For example, if you have a computer that has a Disallowed default policy, you can still grant unrestricted access to a specific folder for each user. Some common paths for this type of rule would be %userprofile%, %windir%, %appdata%, %programfiles%, and %temp%. Since these rules are specified by path, if a program is moved, then the path rule will no longer apply. AND Hash rule A hash is a series of bytes with a fixed length that uniquely identifies a program or file. The hash is computed by a hash algorithm. Software restriction policies can identify files by their hash, using both the SHA-1 (Secure Hash Algorithm) and the MD5 hash algorithm. For example, you can create a hash rule and set the security level to Disallow to prevent users from running a certain file. A file can be renamed or moved to another folder and still result in the same hash. However, any tampering with the file will change its hash value and allow it to bypass restrictions. Software restriction policies will only recognize hashes that have been calculated using software restriction policies. with both of these in place even if the file is on the USB it is still stopped from running.
  2. Success :-) Checked out the PC got another one and straight in on the TS server, Very fast too from POST to TS Login screen 20 seconds very nice. Thanks all for your help, much apreciated, now onto boot splash screens
  3. Have swapped cards on the TS Server and the Thinclient box but still no joy I am going to try another PC and see if that works. @Geoff: VLANS are ok My PC is on our backbone VLAN and the ThinClient PC was on the Student VLAN however when I plug the thinclient box into the port my PC is on this made no difference so we can rule out the VLANS being at fault.
  4. I am using a 3com in the ThinClient and I am going to change it to an Intel Gb Card and try that. the TS server only has one NIC onboard and I don't really want to pull that out just yet, although I may need to ;-)
  5. @cybernerd: Logged in console as root and could NOT ping the RDP server but can ping the DNS servers (internal) but not external like google.co.uk. On my PC (WInXP) I can ping the RDP server, DNS Servers, and External so I plugged the TS box into the same port (we use VLANS here) but no change which leads me to beleive that the TS box must be the problem. Very strange though......
  6. I have used the tsomatic facility and got the boot splash to work and have also got the menu "replimenu" facility to work also but both result in the dreaded re-connect box. I will try a live cd when I get back into the office tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
  7. 1 - No logged in as a student. 2 -The license server is the same TS server 3 - DNS shows an entry for the TS Server with the correct IP. Inever expected it to be this difficult to setup, but I suppose there is a steep leraning curve happening here. I can understand why people go out and buy hardware based TS clients that just plug and play if this is whatus required to get one up and going.
  8. Yes no probelm at all
  9. Ric_: This is a new TS Server with 150 CALS non of which ahve been used yet, they have been activated and are ready. I have not yet got the reconnect thing sorted however I have install 2X ThinClient Server and it appears to have an error when trying to login - No route To Host - aand I wonder iof this is also causing the other method to fail. Looking into the reason now and maybe shed some light on the matter !
  10. many thanks I'll give it a go
  11. Yes please that would be great
  12. The IP is correct yes. Can i comment out the screen res and color depth so it can autodetect it????
  13. Just checked the event logs on the TS server and nothing in the all looks ok Hmmm this could take some time me thinks.....
  14. OK I have changed the NIC to a 3COM905C-TX-M PXE enabled card and I am now able to pull the image down from the RIS server VERY fast indeed. So it looks like either the onboard NIC had an issue of the PXE Drivers where knackered. Anyhow I go through the boot stage, screen goes blank and then I get a box in the middle of the screen with "click OK to reconnect" when I do it just comes back again. Any Ideas? Below is my conf file # --- Session Options # # Note: # is a number equal to or greater than 0 # # SESSION_#_TITLE Title description for SESSION. Needed for replimenu. # SESSION_#_TYPE Package type, choose beetwen: # - vncviewer Start vncviewer in X # - rdesktop Start rdesktop in X # - x Start x-terminal session (xdm) # - ssh Start ssh client in linux console # - telnet Start telnet client in linux console # - ica Start Citrix ICA client in X # - tn5250 Start AS400 client in linux console # SESSION_#_SCREEN Display number to run the X server on # SESSION_#_AUTOSTART ON Application will be executed immediately at startup # OFF Application will appear in a menu to be started manually # SESSION_#_WORKSPACE Workspace to run program on in a window manager # SESSION_#_type_SERVER IP address/hostname of the server # SESSION_#_type_OPTIONS Command line options for the session type # Individual Session Settings, override defaults # # IMPORTANT: Make sure you minimum have a SESSION_0. Otherwise you will get an error # on boot. You may have additional sessions: SESSION_1, SESSION_2 ... # SESSION_0 is on ctrl-alt-F3 # SESSION_1 is on ctrl-alt-F4 # ... etc. # If you only have one session, it is a good idea to uncomment this line: AUTOSTART=On # Typical Windows 2003 Server session, with True-color and sound redirection # Note: use '-a 16' and '-a 24' to get true-color with Windows 2003+ # Older servers don't support these color depths, wrong settings may cause connection to fail. SESSION_0_TITLE="Windows 2003 TS Server (16 bit)" SESSION_0_TYPE=rdesktop SESSION_0_RDESKTOP_SERVER=192.168.49.40 #SESSION_0_RDESKTOP_OPTIONS="-a 16" #Example on USB Printer Redirection for Rdesktop #SESSION_#_RDESKTOP_OPTIONS="-r printer:usb='DYMO LabelWriter 400 Turbo'" # --- General Options # # AUDIO_LEVEL Audio Level for sound, 0-100 # KEYBOARD_MAP Keyboard layout # TIME_ZONE Used to set time zone on TS client by entering the UTC offset. # This can be set automatically if the appropriate dhcpc option is selected # (Option 2, time offset in seconds) # RECONNECT_PROMPT This displays the reconnection/shutdown options for when a session is ended # # OFF No reconnect prompt # ON Reconnect prompt will be displayed # MENU Shows a menu with a shutdown and reconnection option # MENUXX As MENU option, but the XX is a time period in minutes. # After XX minutes shutdown will occur unless the reconnect option # is choosen AUDIO_LEVEL=67 # Look inside BuildFiles\build.conf* file for a list of the supported KB layouts KEYBOARD_MAP=en_gb RECONNECT_PROMPT=On # --- X Server Options # # SCREEN_RESOLUTION Screen resolutions available in the workstations # SCREEN_COLOR_DEPTH Number of bits per pixel (8,16,24) # SCREEN_HORIZSYNC Monitor horizontal sync frequency in Khz. # If left blank Xorg will try to detect with DDC # SCREEN_VERTREFRESH Monitor vertical refresh frecuency in Hz. # If left blank Xorg will try to detect with DDC # SCREEN_X_FONT_SERVER IP address or hostname of the font server for X # # Screen Saver Settings # SCREEN_BLANK_TIME Minutes to X session goes blank # SCREEN_STANDBY_TIME Minutes to X session goes into standby mode # SCREEN_SUSPEND_TIME Minutes to X session goes into suspend mode # SCREEN_OFF_TIME Minutes to X session turn off # # MOUSE_PROTOCOL Mouse protocol type (Microsoft, PS/2, etc.) # (mouse is autodetected, use this only if it fails) # MOUSE_DEVICE Mouse device: /dev/ttyS0 -> COM1 # /dev/ttyS1 -> COM2 # /dev/ttyS2 -> COM3 # /dev/ttyS3 -> COM4 # /dev/psaux -> PS/2 mouse port # /dev/input/mice -> USB mouse (needs USB package) # MOUSE_RESOLUTION Mouse resolution # MOUSE_ACCELERATION Mouse acceleration # X_NUMLOCK Set numlock state on boot # X_COOKIE Will set X Cookie if specified SCREEN_RESOLUTION="1024x768" SCREEN_COLOR_DEPTH="16" #SCREEN_HORIZSYNC="30-64" #SCREEN_VERTREFRESH="56-87" MOUSE_RESOLUTION=100
  15. Many thanks Ric_ & Geoff. I am trying now as I speak and will let you know the outcome
  16. Call me daft but when looking on the Rom-o-matic site where/what do I need to get to enable booting directly from the local HD?? I have been on the above site most of last week downloading the PXE drivers for various cards but have not found anything on there for local booting, or do I forget this and head over to thinstation to see if there is something there instead??
  17. @Ric_: I would prefer to boot off the local HD rather than via the network do you know anywhere that has an FAQ on how to get the ThinStation .nbi onto the HD and to boot from there, if thats is possible????
  18. Hmmm, anyideas on how to resolve it, or alternative methods of connection. I did try installing TFTPD32 on the Terminal server itself and have it push the image from there but no joy with that as it would not even connect. Any help would be great on this as I need to prove the concept works
  19. On booting the PC the thinstation recognizes the NIC as an RTL8139 which is correct and is running at full duplex. Probing PCI NIC.... [rtl8139] - ioaddr 0xdc00, irq 10, addr 00:20:ED:76:17:53 100Mbps full-duplex If I RIS this PC I can image it in under 20mins so I don't think the switch or NIC is at fault. I have just noticed this though@ Initialized UNDI NIC with IO 0xdc00, IRQ 10, MAC 00:20:ED:76:17:53 NDIS type Etherboot interface at 10Mbps <-- Look Searching for server (DHCP)... ..Me: 192.168.x.x, Server: 192.168.x.x, Gateway: 192.168.x.x Loading 192.168.0.1:thinstation.nbi ...(ELF)..... ................................................................... ................................................................... ................................................................... ................................................................... ................................................................... ...................................................................
  20. Hi All, Just getting round to playing with thinstation as I need to put 17 Thin Clients into our lower site and have run into problems. I have followed this faq on the thinstation website and also this one for prestaging and RIS I have the PC able to boot directly from the RIS server and the correct image is being downloaded but the problem is it is taking an age for the 11mb image to get onto the PC, something like 4 hours, all I get is a screen full of little white dots. Going mad, must have missed something, guidance please someone.....
  21. out of the box sharepoint should be fully Active Directory (AD) and network aware and thus auth any user that goes to the site. As far as t he exchange intergration there is some config stuff you need to do. Take a look at: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/sharepoint/v2/reskit/c4161881x.mspx
  22. as per the norm permissions are inherited from the parent so what ever you set at the top (root) site theat is what will filter down. You can disconnect and use your own but then this makes management alot harder.
  23. @Ric_: We are looking at putting some form of electronic registration could you possibly provide me with some info on what you guys use at your place??
  24. ICTNUT

    2007 it budget

    My budget has been going down at a rate of about 10k per year.
  25. Having taken them all I need to tell you the one thing that catches most people out: The MS books do NOT cover everything in the exam. You need to do at least 50% more reading on top of that. The gotchas on most of the exams are the command line switches, as most people always use the gui and rarely the command line people say they know the OS inside out when in fact they don't and this is what gets them the fail.
×
×
  • Create New...