Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

_Bat_

Members
  • Posts

    1,352
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by _Bat_

  1. I wish we had a laugh option, as opposed to just a thank option (hint hint by the way )
  2. Gene pool cleansing?
  3. Not trying to tell you something by any chance? I got a couple of humorous gadgets, like a binary watch and wifi detector watch. The rest was mostly books and clothes.
  4. Me too. A network filter is not perfect (as the article clearly points out) but it's a lot better than having a single local filter that kids can work around with knoppix plus a lot of kids have all kinds of wifi enabled devices at home. However, as soon as you mention the words 'network filter' to most parents after they ask your advice, they switch off. For most of them, they have no clue what I'm talking about beyond that point and certainly aren't going to be able to set it up, no matter how good a guide was produced. I had some long discussions about this issue on a non-technical forum. They will always go for the easiest option.
  5. _Bat_

    Macs running slowly

    Very useful, thanks DMcCoy. I implemented these changes on Friday for students, and using the same preference section I also managed to solve a couple of other nagging (but smaller) issues we were having (I also like your idea of deleting the trash on login - will save us a bit of space of the fileserver). So, I'll see if it all works in January when the students come back, and then do the same for staff
  6. _Bat_

    Macs running slowly

    Cheers for that, that would be very helpful. I'll check the file server on Monday.
  7. _Bat_

    Macs running slowly

    Yes I'm pretty sure it's CS4 on the macs, though I'd have to double check that. We have different versions around the college. How would I set these redirections up without having to visit each machine? Logging on speeds are actually not too bad at all. It's mainly just using photoshop etc. after they have logged on. Thanks
  8. _Bat_

    Macs running slowly

    Hi, I am helping run a windows server 2003 domain network. On this network we have a number of macs running osx 10.5.6 and 10.5.2. We have a xserve running osx server 10.5.2 for setting policies on these macs and they are linked to active directory for authentication. The system is set up in a triangular fashion i.e. open directory on the xserve links to active directory on the windows domain, and the mac clients link to both active directory on the windows domain and open directory on the xserve. We set these up in the summer holidays, previously they were all standalone machines. Ever since we added these machines to the domain, our users have complained about them running slowly. They are mainly used for image editing with photoshop. We didn't have these complaints before adding them to the domain and doing the same tasks on our windows machines seems to be fine. Local homes are not enabled on the macs, all their files are stored in their AD specified home area. I suspect it may be to do with the cache. Does anyone have any advice on the best way of getting these to run a little faster? We are kind of learning on the job with this mac setup really. So I'd be very grateful for any help James
  9. How to unzip/unrar. How to change source on a projector that the base unit and the hard drive are not the same thing the difference between xp/vista/office 2003/office 2007 the different between a domain not found and password incorrect errors
  10. _Bat_

    Hair Spary

    ICT_GUY, I think your avatar is very suitable for that post. I'm sure you'll never let the teacher in question forget about it
  11. The most convenient setup for me was an offsite backup in a family members home. I have a file server in a family members home, which is on 24/7, and an almost identical file server in my flat. The two are connected via VPN (openVPN in my case) and they both run win 2k3 (though could be any OS really). I then use rsync (well, the windows port of it in my case) to synchronize the data changes between the two automatically each night over the VPN.
  12. Lol he clearly couldn't see it on the board. Not sure if I'm showing too much sympathy here, but it's possible he didn't have perfect vision in the first place and when you have a bunch of angry people shouting at you in the background, it can only make matters worse for him. I'm not sure what they thought they were achieving by yelling the same advice over and over, it was clear he knew what he was supposed to do but just couldn't see it. Maybe I am showing too much sympathy
  13. I actually still do it on Christmas Eve most years. Strangely enough, a lot of ideas come to mind of what to purchase for people when under pressure.
  14. Other than having to experience hours of walking slowly through crowded streets and waiting in long queues, going into masses of debt, having to deal with the in-laws and fixing all the kids electronic presents that "went wrong"... what's the issue?
  15. _Bat_

    Ping Until Reply

    This is one I made for exactly the same issue we had. @echo off :start ping 192.168.1.1 if %errorlevel% == 1 ( goto fail ) else ( enter command to run when connected here exit ) :fail echo Not connected to network, retrying... goto start
  16. Interesting you should say this - this has bought another problem into the spotlight. Until now, I've only set policies on a per AD user group basis, I've not set policies per machine. Upon trying it, I've realised it doesn't work. Is there a step I'm missing out? I don't know if the fact that the user policies are set by putting an entire AD group into a workgroup manager group and with the machine policies I've simply imported each machine individually into the workgroup manager group will make a difference. Thanks for all the help so far.
  17. Having exactly the same issue here. Did you ever find a resolution? We would be extremely grateful. This seems to have happened since we installed SP3, but not necessarily the cause.
  18. Thanks, must have missed that. Will look at it tomorrow. It's not a major issue, but it is confusing some people who are used to the windows machines and gives them the impression that the macs are temperamental, when it seems that it's actually by design.
  19. Hi All, I am helping run a windows server 2003 domain network. On this network we have a number of macs running osx 10.5.6 and 10.5.2. We have a xserve running osx server 10.5.2 for setting policies on these macs and they are linked to active directory for authentication. The system is set up in a triangular fashion i.e. open directory on the xserve links to active directory on the windows domain, and the mac clients link to both active directory on the windows domain and open directory on the xserve. This system has recently been set up, previously the macs were all used with local accounts. Other than the below problem, there hasn't really been many issues with the setup, it pretty much works as expected. Since they have been added to the domain, all of the macs have had to be switched on for around 20-30 seconds before they will log in with a domain account successfully. Logging in before this time will simply not work - the login window shakes to say the credentials are wrong. My assumption is that it is still loading the network processes in the background, even though the login screen has already appeared. All IPs are received from DHCP - setting a static IP does not seem to resolve the issue. Updating the client OS has also not resolved it. Is this a known issue on macs? Thanks for any advice. James
  20. Does needing it involve people who annoy you?
  21. Two things I always forgot to have handy, particularly when I was in primaries. Luckily the caretaker knew me well enough to keep a pack of cable ties handy for whenever I came begging (caretakers are an invaluable source of things like that) and I usually "borrowed" a pair of childs scissors from the nearest classroom whenever the need arose for them
  22. A lot of very upset people from reading the comments on the pirate bay blog.
  23. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhd9fmOdCs]YouTube - The SysAdmin Song[/ame] System administrator song - dunno if it's been posted before, but it's hilarious. (link edited to actually work)
  24. Enable tethering on iPhone 3.0 - Too easy... (WORLDWIDE carriers) | richardlai's Xanga Site - Weblog For those who want to tether their non-jailbroken iphone
  25. I agree. Edugeek has already proven to have had a lot of influence on certain companies
×
×
  • Create New...