Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

_Bat_

Members
  • Posts

    1,352
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by _Bat_

  1. It's strange actually how trusting some of the teachers are. I'm not saying I'd ever abuse my position (because I certainly wouldn't), but on quite a number of occasions a teacher has told me their password for something I needed access to and then added "thats the password I use for everything". Knowing that some of these teachers in question -do- use internet banking and have a number of sensitive accounts elsewhere on the internet including their personal e-mail... it's quite surprising they told me that. I know that they know me, but at the end of the day, I'm just a colleague. How many of you would tell your colleagues your internet banking details or other sensitive information like that?
  2. Hence our employment in said schools, to repair and minimise the damage My headteacher walked past me in the corridor and spoke to me under her breath saying "what on earth possessed them to think there should be children in a school?"
  3. I didn't realise people had so many desktop computers... I'd say my desktops only take up 10% of my standard week both hardware and software wise (at least it has been that way until recently because I am now replacing and imaging over half of those, plus I'll end up with quite a few more).
  4. Ouch. I only have about 80, but admittedly, it's not them that takes up most of my time. You don't do that by yourself do you? 8O
  5. I find it hard to believe that people can think that a system administrator of a network does not have 100% access to that network and even harder to believe that they can get annoyed about it when they find out the truth. Probably the only sysadmins in the world that can operate a network without full access are people who work for organisations like the NSA and MI6.
  6. When I was at college, the passwords for students were generated by the IT Team and given to them when they joined. Due to the amount of people that 'forget' their password, when the passwords were generated at the beginning of each year, they were also printed off and handed to the support desk in the learning centre. This way, any student that forgets their password only needs to go to the support desk in the learning centre to be told what it is. The support desk in the learning centre was separate to IT Support, so IT Support were rarely bothered about forgotten passwords. It must have saved them a lot of time.
  7. Wow. That is still pretty early by our standards here. As I work for primary schools with a tiny budget, I have started only in the past two weeks to roll out windows XP onto our previously windows 2000 network at one school. So basically we won't have vista for the forseeable future, not least because our new classroom computers wouldn't be able to run it without a slowdown, if at all (1.7GHz with 512MB RAM).
  8. Have many people actually upgraded to vista on a permanent basis yet? I've not used it once yet, I should have a play with it really to test certain things with it, but I don't think I am willing to pay for it, certainly not until the first set of security bugs are discovered and patched. How long do you think it will be before most people buy an upgrade or purchase a new PC with vista pre-installed (most likely the latter).
  9. Nah, my IT coordinator would never find this site. My network manager might, I think I have mentioned it to him a couple of times. He is probably lurking on here reading every post I make for all I know, lol, I really wouldn't be surprised. If he was, he probably would never tell me either. It is just a good way of keeping an eye on me lol (he only sees me once or twice every two weeks).
  10. Don't you have a cupboard to hide in? I have several places to hide in school. My number one is my cupboard, but staff have finally learnt the days I work in that school so ignoring the knocks with the excuse that I wasn't there doesn't fly now. My number two is the back of the ICT Suite behind a wall, invisible from 95% of the rest of the ICT Suite. My ICT coordinator soon found out about this and has told everyone to check there when looking for me. My number three is in the corner of the library, which again, is invisible to 95% of the rest of the library. There is a decent computer in the corner where I can get some work done. Unfortunately the library is also a corridor and is too risky now, especially as I have been caught there several times already. Of course, the person who knows the school best is the caretaker. First thing tomorrow, I must ask him for other decent hiding places . Then there is my mobile... darn, I'm gonna have to think of something to do with that.
  11. Hehehe, I know what you are all saying. I myself had a similar experience in nursery. I was asked to show the kids there how to open some software on the computer and finally left the room three hours later having build an entire virtual playground with them and painted it all red and blue. That was a fun morning.. Its very true that they always ask what you are doing and in my case, "why are you so tall?". I just wish I could answer that question... They used to call me Mr Computer Man, but they since learnt my name was James. Unfortunately because the teachers always called me James, the kids do now as well. I don't mind it, but people have realised their mistake now and have resorted to telling them off every time they call me James. It's even more difficult for me to use their small chairs though because I'm so tall lol... my knees come up to my chin if I sit down on them, so I often just sit on the floor lol.
  12. Fine, it won't be killed, but I'm pretty sure it'll be deleted.
  13. It's actually quite impressive to have a silence qualification nowadays because it is just so rare (especially in a school environment).
  14. Lol, it's funny. I've never really been on the site before, but that article made a change from the usual stuff.
  15. Even THEY manage to break when a new version of flash is released. I e-mailed a company a few weeks back about their program not working in anything above flash player 7 and they ignored me
  16. A new light on the firefox VS IE debate...
  17. Is it just me, or does that map not work?
  18. Lol, going a little bit further then that, people should post pics of themselves, it'd be interesting to see if people look like we imagined. I know Dos_Bos looks -nothing- like I thought he would.
  19. A number of people from this forum and elsewhere (grumbledook and linuxgirlie jump to mind, but there are more) took her down on several occasions with very valid and fair points, but she just didn't get the point (or didn't want to). She ignored half of the comments on there to her and refused to answer questions. She accused other people of contributing nothing but verbal abuse, but then goes on to verbally abuse others. Eventually she left, which was a shame. She made a post on the TES forum which got a lot of attention (big surprise there) which basically said that the forum used to be occupied by profesionals only (she meant teachers only), but since she joined has been bombarded by technicians in the ICT sections (who OBVIOUSLY had no idea what they were talking about with regards to ICT ) so she was leaving (and taking her professional opinion elsewhere I assume). If you do a google for her nickname, someone registered on pr0n sites using it. I wonder who was that cruel? lol.
  20. Ah I see. I was a little confused at first because I hadn't seen the thread that it was posted on, I only saw the message dos_box posted.
  21. @grumbledook I know you said you weren't going to reply in here again, but what has actually annoyed you? I'm a little bit confused by your posts. I'm not sure if you are responding to posts on here or posts on the TES forum.
  22. I completely agree. I wouldn't dream of saying to one of the teachers in my school that they were doing something wrong with regards to teaching, even if I honestly thought they were. For instance, a lot of the teachers in my schools shout at the kids... I often walk down the corridor and hear them yelling. I personally believe that there has to be better ways of controlling a class then yelling. But having never ever been in a similar situation as them before, I keep my mouth shut because I am probably wrong (plus I am well aware I am not in a position to say anything like that to them anyway).
  23. Here: http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_id=2138547&path=/ict/&threadPage=&messagePage=3 Post at the bottom of that page. There are plenty more posts from him/her on that forum elsewhere saying even worse things.
  24. Youch! I bet that went down well!
  25. I read all about her... something must have caused her to say the things she did. Her partner apparently worked in IT, yet she still bashed support workers down to the ground? Something is not what it seems there.
×
×
  • Create New...