Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

networkingNut

Members
  • Posts

    146
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by networkingNut

  1. Im guessing your users have their files stored in, like the below: Quote: \\rhs-svr-003\Year04$\username If so, try the below: Quote: \\rhs-svr-003\Year04$\%username% %username% should replace every time someone logs in with the current user logging in. You dont need to change this. Also, if the users folders are already on the server, surely "Create a folder for each user under the root path" wouldn't suffice? Try "redirect to the following location". Or, try putting Quote: \\rhs-svr-003\Year04$\%username% as the users home directory, and then set the GPO to redirect to the users home directory? Hope this makes sense! When you say put as home directory do you mean under profile tab manually set each user to redirect to their own folder? I have tried changing as you suggested and it does not appear to be working. All the students now get is My documwnts and my music. Any ideas This is after logging on and restarting the machine twice
  2. xxcopy Z:\Year04\*.* E:\Users\Students\Year04\*.* /o /x /e /h /k I carried out the above xcopy command on the destinantion server. the source derver was a mapped network drive (z:). I have attached screenshots to help illustrate the problem we are having with the My documents redirect. When we set it to the old server is works correctly. ie it points their my documents to the %username% folder. Now all I do is change the server number from 1 (old server) to 3 (new server). When I do that it tries to rediect the my docuements folder to a folder within the students %username% called my documents. Any idea what would be causing this. I am a bit confused having done the xcopy. Thanks nN
  3. This now appears to be a whol school thing I have used both RSOP.msc and gpresult and neither of the show the affected GPO as being applied. gpresult show the GPO (Called communal desktops) as being non applicable All users are a member of the security groups 'staff' or 'student' respectivley. This is what we use to get the communal deesktops. Some students get errors saying "your active html file cannot be found. These students get a white file explorer bar on the left of their desktop. Other students sometimes get an error saying they have insufficient privilidges to access the resource the resource \\rhs-svr-003\stud_desktop$\Desktop yet they have the same rights as another student who is able to get teh desktop. nN
  4. Yes we changed the redirect in the GPO. Regarding the moving we just did a direct copy and paste nN
  5. We have copied all the user data to a new server and changed the My docuemnts redirect. However when we login as a student the my documents still points to the old location. Do I have to completely delete the GPO and start from fresh. I have been reading "Mastering Server 2003", which says "Even after the policy is reoved the folder will remain redirected unless you undirect it". Both Servers are 2003 and XP clients Thanks nN
  6. The way we currently do it for reports etc is to allow all teaching staff an account on our SIMS server. Then whenever they are on a curriculum machine they can RD over to the admin network. However people are now saying it takes to long. They want a combined solution similar to what is being asked by the OP. I would rather keep them separate for the security implications The accounts on the admin and curriculum are separate accounts and what we are finding is that staff can never remember their passwords for the admin network.
  7. Most of our purchases come from insight uk. Excellent service.
  8. Our site mananager deals with all our phones. We currently use Nortell digital handsets although as us in IT need a cordless set so we can use one in the Server room we ourselves have analogue phones. All three of us wold like VOIP but havent got the budget. nN
  9. Thanks for your responses everyone. Not had chance before now. We have to try and get all our orders out by the 12th of Feb We have gone with Switchshop. We will be getting two cabs installed, one HP switch and two fibre runs. This is due to be done over half term. All the Service I have received so far has been excellent. They outsource their fibre installs to Lynx Data cabling and their engineer who came to give quotes was excellent I will let you know how I get on. Thanks nN
  10. has any one used these people before? We are currently getting a few quotes for a switch install from differnet people and I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with them switchshop before. Thanks nN
  11. Mine is in need of an upgrade as its failing slowly: P4 3.0Ghz HT 4GB RAM 1 x 160GB WD Hard drive Dual screen (2 x Dell 2408wfp) 256MB Graphics (ATI). Most of my files are stored on my 1TB NAS box nN
  12. IT technician at a secondary school in Rugby
  13. We currently use parent pay alongside our cashless catering system (Cunninghams). Parents have the ability to top up their childs account online. It was implemented just as I started and although I dont manage the day to day running of it (This is done by our site manager) I have not heard of any major problems with it. nN
  14. On a saturday I am trying to read up for a certification but something always pops up, which means that annoyingly its not gone to plan. I work sat night in a bar from 21:00-04:30. I tend to sleep most of Sunday.- There are a few exceptions, ie F1 race weekends I am tempted to give the night job up but with it being an extra source of income I keep hanging on, much to the frustration of my mum. I dont really have much social life due to lack of time. If I do eventually leave my night job I want to join my local IAM driving group and train to become an observer. nN
  15. The problem we are having is when certain users (Both Students and staff) attempt to logon every time the drive script gets to the Terastation lines it errors with “Unknown username or bad password”. As a result none of the other drives are mapped in the script. All students are a member of a ‘Student’ group in active directory and staff are a member of the ‘Staff’ group. Both groups have full read/ write access on the NAS so I can’t understand what could be causing it. Even manually giving a few students read/write access through the web interface doesn’t solve the problem. The terastation has been added to the domain and picks up all the users/ groups fine. Its just the logon script we are having problems with. I have checked settings with other users who are not having a problem connecting to the NAS and they are identical. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this problem? My Network is a Server 2003 environemnt with XP Clients Terastation details Model Name: TS-HTGL/R5 Firmware Version:1.27 Partition Share names: • art-share • Art-teacher ' Determine UserName and DN and then map home drive according to student year / Staff ' ' 'Get User DN Set objSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo") strUser = objSysInfo.UserName 'Get Username set oNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network") Username = oNetwork.Username 'Map Communal Drives oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "N:", "\\***-svr-003\Apps" oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "S:", "\\***-mbr-003\Dept_shared" 'oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "M:", "\\***-mbr-005\Multimedia" If InStr(strUser, "Staff") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\***-svr-001\staff$\"&Username [b]oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "T:", "\\art-nas\art-teacher"[/b] End If If InStr(strUser, "Year00") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\***-svr-001\year00$\"&Username End If If InStr(strUser, "Year01") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\***-svr-001\year01$\"&Username End If If InStr(strUser, "Year02") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\***-svr-001\year02$\"&Username End If If InStr(strUser, "Year03") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\***-svr-001\year03$\"&Username End If If InStr(strUser, "Year04") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\***-svr-001\year04$\"&Username End If If InStr(strUser, "Year05") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\***-svr-001\year05$\"&Username End If If InStr(strUser, "Year06") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\***-svr-001\year06$\"&Username End If If InStr(strUser, "Year07") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\***-svr-001\year07$\"&Username End If If InStr(strUser, "Year08") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\10.1.0.7\year08$\"&Username End If If InStr(strUser, "Year09") Then oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\***-svr-003\year09$\"&Username End If [b]oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "V:", "\\ART-NAS\art-share"[/b] 'Terminate script and engine WScript.Quit Thanks nN
  16. Have you tried using the HP add network printer wizard? EN - HP Install Network Printer Wizard - Overview nN
  17. Just to update everyone on where I am at regarding the phone choice I decided to go for the touch pro 2. The main reason being the sub folders issue on the E71 and also people saying that the metal case degrades the strength of the signal. Thank everyone for your input. No Doubt I will be on here again asking for some more help though nN
  18. Yes that is one of the main reasons I would be purchasing a smartphone. I hope I will be able to get away from my desk more often. it does my head in after a while. I have lots of subfolders. So the nokia only reads the root of the inbox? thanks for letting me know.
  19. Are there any high street chains such as Carphone warehouse that stock the tp2 as I would like to actualy get a feel for the device in addition to reading reviews? nN
  20. Our setup consists of 2 domains a curriculum and admin. We have one exchnage server, which servers both domains. It is located on the curriulum Problem 1 I am trying to assign access for a few users on admin to second mailbox. I have installed Office Sp3 and restarted the machines. Each time I click on the second mailbox it says unable to open folder. Alll the users have been assigned send as permission and full mailbox access for the second one. Its exchnage server 2003 standard. All the users can access their own mailboxes fine problem 2 I Also have another admin network user who logs onto one machine and gets all her mail but when she logs onto another admin machine and also and any curriculum machine only gets three or so emails. I have checked the system manager and there is only one mailbox for the user. Any help is appreciated.
  21. I personally prefer the look of the touch pro2 OS. Whats the E71 OS like on a day to day basis? Admiral208 I did consider the hero but the lack of an actual keyboard and that fact that some reviews said it was sluggish put me off. Do you find the Hero sluggish? rush_tech The reasons I decided against the Iphone were: Most of the people I know are on Orange and I cant really fault the service. The have also managed to sort me out a new contract, which suits me. For some unknown reason there are 02 dead spot in my school The phone is personally too expensive on PAYG and sim free I dont really want to pay more than £25 a month JOrdan01070 I am not familiar with the G1. Can you please tell me who makes it. I willl have a look at it. The ROM alteration seems a bit scary. Thanks nN
  22. I really dont know which one to choose. I am currently leaning towards a touch pro 2. The only thing holding me back is the price. The cheapest I have found it is £458.83. I just want to know is it worth it? I am impressed by some of the youtube reviews. I really would like a full qwerty keyboard. I will be using it mainly for internet and outlook synchronisation. I have already ruled out the Iphone. Any opinions are appreciated nN
  23. I work behind a bar for my second job and the cheapest pint is £3.65 but the best ones are Magners at £5.95 each and £10.30 for a double vodka Red Bull nN
  24. Our Server room security currently consists of a lock with no handle. The idea being that with no handle everyone else will ignore it. Rather silly if you ask me. The security is one of many things that frustrates me at the minute. I cant see it changing though. nN
×
×
  • Create New...