-
Posts
146 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by networkingNut
-
Personally I would not get another one but my Line manager thinks differently. He thinks they are the most reliable printers in the school yet in my opinion we have had more trouble with them (Everyone a new formatter board was required) than any other printer. He says "we have the extended warranty".
-
I am unsure what you mean by Hive. My understanding is that its another file Format instead of .reg. When I drill down the HKEY users I do not get an option for a username all I get is what is shown in the screenshot. When you say hard code the username do you have to do it for every user individually or is there a generic way of doing it for every user? Thanks nN
-
One thing I cant stand is text speak as I think its unprofessional. My Line manager uses it and it does my head in i.e "Fone me if summat cumes up".
-
Thanks. I am looking for a new position as I am not really happy here and to be honest I think I have outgrown the role.
-
When users try and open a folder which is compressed and contains just shortcuts depending on the way it is opened it can either open in seconds or take around 30 seconds. When the users use file explorer it opens quickly. but when they navigate to it through the "normal" way it takes ages. I would like to remote file explorer for students for obvious reasons, but cant because we are having complaints about the load time. We cant uncompress the folder due to space issues. Thanks nN
-
We have three of of the 3005n's and they have all had the same formatter problem. I second the Extended warranty.
-
I am in similar position to you. I am desktop a technician (Toners, is it switched on etc). One thing that bugs me is my my Line manager may be talking to other people and he says "Why have a dog and bark yourself". Will your manager not let you attempt the website/ VLE maintenance and backup. I am currently trying towards COMPTIA Network+ to get onto the Microsoft Route, MCP etc. I am doing it part time at home through the Home learning college. How long have your been in your post? Sorry I could not be any more help nN
-
Everytime a user opens office 2003 it says 'please wait while office 2003 installs'. Is there any way to stop this from happening as its getting annoying. Office is installed on every client machine (XP) locally and I have even tried reinstalling office using the custom option and selecting everything but even that does not solve it. Thanks nN
-
Before I even get the BIOS option it says "Hard drive not installed, if operating system not found reinstall the Hard drive. Press any Key to continue"
-
I am trying to put Smoothwall express 3 on a Compaq 1920 which I have been given. It keeps saying "Hard drive not installed", yet I can hear it spinning. All the pins on the drive seem fine. I have tried two other hard drives and they show the same error. Having tried the same drives in another machine they work fine. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause the hard drive to not be detected? I was hoping to save it from the trash. Thanks
-
Currently its a bit of a mix. The new format we have is: Students The year they Join followed by their surname and first initial (09bloggsf) Staff firsstname . Surname (m.bloggs) We use to use the same format for both students and teachers. Surname and first initial but we had incidents where students would end up getting the same username as staff. For obvious reasons we changed the format asap.
-
Could you mail me over some pics please or even put them on the thread. I really need to keep up with the times . Here is me thinking filter-less projectors are new. nN
-
Looking for a Wired Internet Radio
networkingNut replied to networkingNut's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
I was waiting for someone to say that Nope. I have never had a need for it. I have always avoided it. For example my Cable Modem is downstairs. Some may say get wireless but I got some netgear Ethernet over power adapters and plugged them into my PIX 501 instead. I preferred to compromise flexibility for security. Never been a fan of wireless. I have enough trouble with it at work. Connections dropping etc nN -
Like Edutech its really just to add to my own knowledge. we don't really have any use for them at work as all the packages we use are available in Windows. I will approach my local CLC and see what they say. I have always been a PC person but the arrival bootcamp has put a different view on it from my perspective. I did think about buying a Mac, bootcamping Windows and then placing Linux in a Virtual Box, although I think this may be overkill. Thanks nN
-
I am looking to purchase an Internet radio. Not bothered about built in speakers as I am planning on connecting it to my hifi. I am looking for one which can: Connect the Internet using either Wired or Wireless LAN (Have not yet invested in WLAN but may in the future) Has the option of playing my music file stored on my pc Has a USB port for audio from a pen drive. So far I have come across the Pioneer PDX-Z9 but its only got Wired LAN for Internet radio. PDX-Z9 - Combine with... - Stereo Receiver with SACD Player, Ready for iPod, USB host, Internet Radio and DLNA-certified Any ideas are appreciated nN
-
I would really like to learn Macs. I was looking at getting a Mac Mini as to my knowledge Mac in programs such as virtual box are a no go because of the apple EULA however I bit a reluctant to spend £400 plus pounds straight away. I was considering going to the Apple Store in Birmingham for advice but am wondering if any one can give some advice on where to start, what to get etc. Dont know why it took me so long to realise that actually knowing other OS's such as MAC and Linux may actually be beneficial. Thanks everyone nN
-
I dont work in Coventry directly although I did go to uni there. I am currently based in Rugby so not to far away nN
-
Update 8.3.2010 I have found the following script (Source: Empty Recycle Bin Script - Script Center - Spiceworks Community) '#============================================================================== '#============================================================================== '# SCRIPT.........: emptyRecycleBin.vbs '# AUTHOR.........: Joe Glessner '# EMAIL..........: [email protected] '# VERSION........: 1.0 '# DATE...........: 02OCT09 '# COPYRIGHT......: 2009, laoae.com '# LICENSE........: Freeware '# REQUIREMENTS...: '# '# DESCRIPTION....: Empties the Recycle Bin on the local computer. '# '# NOTES..........: This has only been tested on Windows 7, though it should '# work on all Windows versions, 2000 or later. '# '# This script will empty the Recycle bin, but will not '# change the icon to show it has been emptied, until the '# recycle bin has been opened by a user. '# '# CUSTOMIZE......: '#============================================================================== '# REVISED BY.....: '# EMAIL..........: '# REVISION DATE..: '# REVISION NOTES.: '# '#============================================================================== '#============================================================================== '**Start Encode** '#============================================================================== '# START OF SCRIPT '#============================================================================== 'Option Explicit 'On Error Resume Next '#-------------------------------------------------------------------------- '# Declare Constants '#-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Const RECYCLE_BIN = &Ha& Const FILE_SIZE = 3 '#-------------------------------------------------------------------------- '# Declare Variables '#-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dim objShell, objFolder, objFSO, colItems Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(RECYCLE_BIN) Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set colItems = objFolder.Items '#-------------------------------------------------------------------------- '# Delete everything in the Recycle Bin '#-------------------------------------------------------------------------- For Each objItem in colItems If (objItem.Type = "File folder") Then objFSO.DeleteFolder(objItem.Path) Else objFSO.DeleteFile(objItem.Path) End If Next '#============================================================================== '# SUBROUTINES/FUNCTIONS/CLASSES '#============================================================================== '#============================================================================== '# END OF FILE '#============================================================================== Whiel the for statement is running I would like to display a box the the student saying "Emptying your recycle bin". I dont want the box to have any buttons but just be timed so once the for statement has executed the box closes. I ahve tried both MsgBox and document.writeln but document.writeln errors and MsgBox has buttons. Sorry for such as newbe question but I am stumped nN
-
For some reason when running this as either a logon or logoff script as astudent I get a permission denied error on line 14 Any ideas? nN
-
Hi I am trying to write a script to empty users Bins at logoff. I must confess my scriping knowledge is pretty much non existant so I have been cytting bits from other scripts which we have What I have got so ar is 'Script to Empty the recycle Bin on Logoff. 'Get User DN Set objSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo") strUser = objSysInfo.UserName If InStr(strUser, "Staff") Then DEL \\rhs-svr-001\staff$\%username%\RECYCLER\*.* End If If InStr(strUser, "Year02") Then DEL \\rhs-svr-001\year02$\%username%\RECYCLER\*.* End If If InStr(strUser, "Year03") Then DEL \\rhs-svr-001\year02$\%username%\RECYCLER\*.* End If If InStr(strUser, "Year04") Then DEL \\rhs-svr-003\year02$\%username%\RECYCLER\*.* End If If InStr(strUser, "Year05") Then DEL \\rhs-svr-003\year02$\%username%\RECYCLER\*.* End If If InStr(strUser, "Year06") Then DEL \\rhs-svr-001\year02$\%username%\RECYCLER\*.* End If If InStr(strUser, "Year07") Then DEL \\rhs-svr-001\year02$\%username%\RECYCLER\*.* End If If InStr(strUser, "Year08") Then DEL \\rhs-svr-003\year02$\%username%\RECYCLER\*.* End If If InStr(strUser, "Year09") Then DEL \\rhs-svr-001\year02$\%username%\RECYCLER\*.* End If 'Terminate script and engine WScript.Quit I have saved it as a bat but it does not seem to work. I would prefer to ue Vbscript. Howver when saved as a VB script it errors. Any help is apreciated nN
-
Migrating user data Server 2003
networkingNut replied to networkingNut's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Hi. It turned out to be that for some reason the Everyone group only had read access to the folder which represents the year. Secondly for some reason when copying the files over the previously mentioned xcopy command xxcopy Z:\Year04\*.* E:\Users\Students\Year04\*.* /o /x /e /h /k some students data is not being copied and there are no errors. I am copying an entire year group at a time. I did stumble accross a program called xxcopy, which I may give a go and see if it works. (XXCOPY, A Versatile File Management Utility --- Boldly Extended Xcopy) Thanks nN -
Migrating user data Server 2003
networkingNut replied to networkingNut's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
All of the students cannot save files. It says access denied. The attributes next to all of the users files is RC. Any ideas -
Migrating user data Server 2003
networkingNut replied to networkingNut's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Ok will try. Thanaks nN -
Migrating user data Server 2003
networkingNut replied to networkingNut's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Students are not allowed access to the run box regarding running the gpupdate command. Is there any other way?
