Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

networkingNut

Members
  • Posts

    146
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by networkingNut

  1. Happy Sysadmin Day Everyone. Would of posted ealier but we currently have no network at work due to a Server room extention. nN
  2. We currently have a mix of Toshiba, HP and a few acers. I believe all our next laptops will be HPs as our network is pretty much all HP. We also bought 20 HP 530s last year, which I cant really fault, the only niggle being the lack of a hard drive LED so you can never tell if its crashed or is busy. The Toshibas are a mix of L20s and L40s. These are eventually due to be replaced.
  3. We currently use one or zero as our helpdesk software, which is hosted externally.We also have radios (Motorola TLKR T5). There is one for each of the technicians (3 in total including my manager) and also one at reception. We also have a support email, which to my frustration most teachers/ admin staff dont use (no matter how may times you ask them to). They keep sending it to my line manager and then ask me if I received it. They then seem somewhat surprised when I say no. I just think the whole department could be more productive if more use was made of the support email, the address of which is clearly visible in the staffroom. If I am totally honest sometimes I feel like an odd job man. Staff members tend to talk to me via my line manager rather than to me direct. I get the impression they think that they will get it done quicker if they go to my manager although we all work from the same helpdesk. /rant (apologies everyone) nN
  4. We use HP all through our network (procurve switches etc). All our base units are HP. They vary between DC7600 up to DC7900. I cant really fault them. I really like the build quality. We are planning on ordering another 34 DC 7900s for a project over the summer. cheers nN
  5. Thanks everyone for your help, Much appreciated. It was just a case of rebooting the switch to re-register the modules. Feel a bit silly but I suppose you could call it a learning curve nN
  6. Sorry about not being clear in my query I hope this example can clarifiy this situation. The 2524 used to be connected to port H3 (for example). Now when we move the switch we had to move the module to slot F1. The Link light is on for F1 module as expected. The switch mac table still shows the 2524 as beijng connected to port H3. There are no VLANS on the switch, just a basic config, hostname, passwords etc. I have not yet tried setting them to full duplex with it being the same module at either end and with them both being set to auto. I will give it a try and let you know how I get on. thanks nN
  7. We repalced our core switch over half term. The old core swith (HP 4108GL) was relocated to replace an old HP 8000m switch. We have a connectivity issue between the newly located 4108 and a HP2524 switch. They are connected via Fibre optics with the same transceiver module at both ends. The link light on both ends of the connection are up and and cant see any confiuration issues which raise any alarms. The one think which I believe to be the cause is that the 2524 is shown as being connected to a different port on the 4108. Its shown on port to which it used to be connected when the 4108 was in our comms room. Is there a way to flush the mac table so that the switch can learn the new location. I am not very familiar with HP OS commands. I cant seem to find a clear mac-address table command . I understand that most people advice against flushing the mac table but I cant think of what else it could be. Thanks nN
  8. I tried looking for the option to change the scope for the list but I could not see it. The list in question was created from within outlook by the sender and not on the exchange server. I can see where to change it on the lists created on our exchange server but as they are working I did not alter them.
  9. We do have two domains but the email is being sent between two users in the same domain. Regarding the scope of the list I cant see an option for that as it was created in outlook web access and not on the exchange server. It appears to just be a problem with lists which are created in outlook web access or outlook. The reason for me saying this is I have created my own distribution list in OWA to test it and this does not work. However the lists that we have created on the exchange server for all staff to use do work.
  10. We use AB tutor control. Seems to do it job when it comes to monitoring. The problem we have at the minute is when we try and lock a students keyboard and mouse it does not work. The student can still move the mouse and keybaord, which is rather annoying.
  11. Thanks for that I tried that before and it still came out with the current problem. I would try it again but I dont want to loose all items from her mailbox.
  12. Hi I am new to both exchange and active directory. I have recently started my first full time job after uni. The problem I have got is that I have one user who cannot receive emails when they are sent from a distribution list but can when they are send to her directly. The sender keeps getting a 5.2.1 Non Delivery Rerport. The list was not created in exchange but from within outlook web access. I have tried re-adding the user to the list but it did not solve the problem. I cannot see where the problem lies as I have compared the recipients account with other accounts and they look identical. After spending hours on google looking for a solution but to no avail. We are running exchange 2003 and Server 2003 Any help is appreciated.
×
×
  • Create New...