-
Posts
6,219 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Ditto
-
For 1 and 2, it's better to discuss what the underlying requirements are. SLT jumping to the solution isn't best use of your skills, but the trick is to get to the actual requirement and then advise some options, explain the pros and cons of each, make a recommendation of which you think is best then they can decide. A key question of course is how restricted access to the video is. If the SLT is happy it is available (and searchable) to everyone on the web, then there are some simple options including classroom and youtube. If they want some level of restriction, you could make use of 'Everyone with the link'. Nothing stops it being passed to others so not that secure, but it's a question of the risk of that happening. I often found the concept of gmail accounts and google accounts got muddled. With workspace, the norm for pupils is to have a school controlled google account with a school controlled gmail account. For parents, you can have a google account linked to a non gmail account - but some parent can resist having a google account at all. Out of interest, do you have the classroom guardian functionality turned on? Have a look at https://support.google.com/edu/classroom/answer/7017326?hl=en, because I'm not sure it's as uncontrolled as you might think - and I'm not sure I see this option is any worse than publishing on youtube. That said, classroom may not be ideal, but perhaps if SLT are aware of the classroom guardian functionality, that's lead them to their proposal.
-
FOI - Covid numbers in Year Group
Ditto replied to pete's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
I think that's a good outcome. I'm not sure any public benefit can come from the request, but if the parent decides to go down the complaint route with ICO, you have your DPO to argue the case. -
FOI - Covid numbers in Year Group
Ditto replied to pete's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
I took it as the request was 'from the parent', not that the pupil caught it 'from the parent'. -
FOI - Covid numbers in Year Group
Ditto replied to pete's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
I think it would be difficult to reject the request for the reasons suggested. Ultimately, I think the head and DPO have to make the decision. They should be aware it could lead to an ICO complaint and at that point ICO will have to be more assertive with the stance. -
OK, braking the bond with 007 now. I thought I keep this out of the endless comments on the petrol saga, but this, presumably unintended pun amused me. James Spencer, managing director at fuel supplier Portland Fuel, said the UK was over the worst of the situation and that sending in the Army would "generate more panic"."Under normal circumstances supply can easily meet demand," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme, explaining that consumer activity was the main driver. "Consumer activity was the main driver"! Did he do that deliberately? Those that haven't been able to fill up might disagree!
-
True. I think the recent go-live is what has brought this to the fore. The support case listed earlier seems to have pinned it down to videos where community guideline flagged content is where the problem lies.
-
Perfecto!!! Better than the joke itself - there should be a word for such a thing - if there is already, I'm sure you'll be letting us know
-
I'm sure there is a local retro gaming retailer near me but I can't track it right now, but another based in Slough is https://retroexchange.co.uk/ - I dunno how near Slough is to Skaro, but I know which one is more appealing! You might not get the very best price at a local specialist, but they tend to be reasonable (better than CEX) and it might make for a bit less work if they are willing to take the lot in one go. I'm also happy to review photos if you wish to PM, but others are probably more expert than me - I'm more familiar 1981 - 1989ish era.
-
I've just had an online chat with them and asked that question. In some ways I'm not surprised, remembering that this is likely to be a SLT or SBM view of the world, and not an open-eyed, well researched Edugeek view. Certainly the video was saying look at your needs, look at as many MIS as possible and select the one that suits you based on a variety of criteria, so it didn't look like the chart was going to be used for business decisions.
-
I came across the following video, which comes at MIS migration from a school business managers perspective - I thought it was excellent. My favourite item was at minute 9:00 where an interesting chart showed the MIS "I don't know" rated fourth in a satisfaction survey! I have no affiliation with the company presenting, I just thought it was a great intro and makes it clear communication is essential throughout. There is some gentle self-advertising promotion at the end, but you can duck out if you want to.
-
I'm also on, or will be shortly, a variable rate with EDF following the collapse of ... can't remember their name, but the same company as @mikeprice was with. I meant to look for a new deal a few weeks back, but didn't get around to it. I'm not particularly a fan of nationalisation, but with something as fundamental as gas and electricity (and maybe we should add petrol/diesel?), I'm not sure it should feel like a lottery all the time. Water/sewage doesn't seem to have the same issues, although perhaps lacks competition, but on that point my prices seem to have been relatively stable over the last decade, but perhaps jumped more recently. I'm staying off politics, but there is some interesting economics to be looked at here.
-
I've just finished listening to one of the Google's Edu updates and it reminded me of this thread. I suspect this isn't the explanation but I'll chuck it out there. It appears as of September, there is an age based access setting and the default is that everyone is under 18 in all your OUs. That'll drop Youtube. Even if it isn't, it's a new feature to be aware of anyway!!! *** which I now see is covered by @tadcooke post above and @psydii earlier - it's a pretty big oversight by Google ***
-
With google doing some birthday offers today, the Pixel 4a is coming in at £268.73. I'm currently a Moto G5 and previously G2 user, but it's been running at 90% full for a while now so toying with an upgrade. I'm not too fussed about 5G, 4G is fine. Any thoughts or users of the Pixel 4a like to offer any views?
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
And again.... Reports of 'technical issues' and 'major incident' with NHS data collection impacting at least 3 days worth of data. Does anyone know what the actual problem is? I'm presuming these data aren't passed around by HGV drivers? -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
From today's data, I believe some pro vaccine people have switched allegiance, become anti-vaxers and somehow had vaccines removed from themselves. -
Their instructions were clear to use one one of those account, however there instructions are as follows and shows SIMSId in the list. I'd try, but I have not been sent a new activation code, and have one from 2 years ago. Can't reset my password because it rejects all attempts, including asking for the name of my first teacher - I've no idea that I would ever have filled that in previously! Besides, when you type in the answer, it goes on to ask you to type in your new password, and again to verify, and only after to say one of the items does not match. (I do wish software companies employed skilled UX designers). It could be the email address, it could be the answer to the question I've no idea about, it could be because it's link to another account - who knows! I dread having to follow up with their IT support team - I once interviewed there but withdrew - they seemed more interested in suit and tie wearing to 'look' professional. I'd much rather they just worked professionally!!!
-
For me, life would be 'easier' to let me choose to just use my email address. I might not want any of those account or I might not be happy with their data privacy policies. I'm definitely not in the 'most people' category. Given I've obviously previously used SIMS parent, is there anyway to tell what account I'd used previously? I checked my personal google account and no sign if it there. I'm very selective using my Google account for sign-in, but I'm 100% sure I've never used FB or twitter. I can't think that I've used MS for anything other than Quick Assist. Is it possible to check in my MS account linked apps?
-
My sons school has dropped Frog and is asking parents to use SIMS parent. Putting aside the carpiness of the product in as much although I have used it, it's proving impossible to sign in to or reset my password, the school is stating that "You will need to sign in using one of the following accounts: Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft." Personally, I find that unacceptable even if I had those accounts. I would be willing to use my email account. Is there any justification for the schools approach and is another option feasible.
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/whats-new/record/1d8e9744-ee22-44c6-83f1-fd572d21c2c5 Hospital data missing again today. It's annoying when they say "Because of a major incident with the data collection system used by NHS England" - tells me nothing about the issue. -
EU proposes mandatory USB-C on all devices, including iPhones
Ditto replied to elsiegee40's topic in IT News
Is having the USB-C exclusively mandatory? If not presumably any manufacturer can have the USB-C and something else too - but I guess that will go against the waste reduction goal. Of course, that's a possible consequence with the directive - The Cobra Effect! -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Llamas play their part in possible Covid treatment https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58628689 This caught my eye, in part as a walk I did with some visiting friends over the weekend, we happened across some Llamas and they had a good 'llamas humming' chat. Are Llamas the nearest relatives of Unicorns? -
Not sure I follow fully, but which MIS are you using? Are you a state school with requirements to submit census details to DfE. If yes, my worry would be converting the corrupted attendance data to valid values.
- 3 replies
-
- attitude to learning
- behaviour
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
