Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. After 18 consecutive days of unsettlingly high increases in cases by date reported, week on week, we've now had 2 days of reducing cases. I couldn't possibly guess (or scientifically predict!) which way things will move over the next few weeks. I would be delighted if the theory of a sort of herd immunity kicking in due to high vaccination levels, increasing numbers of booster shots being given, younger age ranges having the jab and protection due to infection, but I'm sure there is a lot more to the variations than that. *** I should add if you are looking at UK case numbers for today, Wales data is missing but it's still going to be a drop. What's going on with dataflows? Problems from various nations are quite a regular occurrence recently. ***
  2. I thought it was more around consent for processing data. But, I also haven't read it yet, so must try to do so soon.
  3. I'm not sure to be pleased or sad, perhaps bittersweet, but this shows evolution at work, even if it is as a result of human activity. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-59008037
  4. Fair enough, but I stated I would avoid pedantry, but in doing so was pedantic . What I was really after was real world examples, but in passing it did make me smile that the old test gave you an infinitesimal small time point to read the test. As an aside, I'm wondering if there is a third variant of the test that does take longer. In the RTFM, maybe your are right, but I think it is something we could all do more. Google is great, but often clouds the world with opinion, rather than fact. No worries on the leg pull, I'm thick skinned and my post knowingly invited it. I guess we should move on for risk of drifting off topic. To that end, local cases of people I know or are two degrees of separation away are through the roof. Post half term changes really wouldn't surprise me.
  5. Office 2013, Office 2016 and Access 2016 are on extended support. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/. But they could be correct the redistributable is still supported. I thought redistributables lifecycle were linked to a product, but couldn't find the link for this one. All this particular component does is support data transfers between various file types. It's probably fine to use, but I'd be inclined to go back to the service desk and ask for a link to the Microsoft site that states unequivocally it is supported. This is on the borders of my areas of knowledge, but I do know we have at least one 'real' MS software developer here, so I'm calling on @ass17 to see if we can get some clarity.
  6. I so agree! I was worried someone might move on from a budgie to a cockatoo, but luckily no one did!
  7. Ahh, the old RTFM!!! Fair comment though, although when I was helping with the trial, that wasn't an option. I've done my homework and here are the results. So, firstly the packaging. Both have that strong clear plastic sticky disc sealing the end. On the older pack (throat and nasal), one is labelled 'Open' (on the box edge) the other end is clear with no markings. I discovered this after cutting through the clear tape only to find the tab to pull the contents out wasn't present - oh well, that's a 50/50 chance of success on first attempt! On the newer pack(nasal only and marked ACON Flowflex), it also says 'Open' on one end, but it also has a clear white pointer and it's visible on the top of the box. This resulted in a successful opening and access to the pull out tab first attempt. From a design perspective, text to the effect 'Open other end' on the non-opening end to say would be even better, but if the manufacturers would like an optimal design solution, I would recommend @mikeprice whom I believe is available for consultancy on design matters. Now to the meat of the topic. Both sets of instructions say that once the test cassette is removed from the sealed bag, you must start the test within 30 minutes. On to the part where the swab is swirled around in the buffer solution - this is where things get really interesting. Old swab, you do this for 30 seconds. New swab it is 15 seconds. Both instruction in terms of technique are identical and require force. After dropping the fluid on to the cassette, again some differences. Old test, 2 drops, new test, 4 drops - hands up who didn't spot this! Finally, test results, which is where I started. Old test - wait 30 minutes before reading the result. It notes a positive test can appear anytime after 20 minutes, but you must wait 30. You are asked not to wait longer than 30 minutes, after which the test is void. I'll avoid the pedantic observation here! New test - wait 15 minutes before reading. You can read the result anytime between minute 15 and minute 30 and as before, after this the test is void. I conclude the new test can in fact be quick by between 15 seconds and 15 minutes 15 seconds. Yet, it doesn't really tell me the answer to question I posed, but the subsequent posts have made it clear the C will come first and the T later.
  8. @mikeprice and I are currently outside of school employment. You're right about the new LFD kits - I think I participated in a pre-launch trial. It's certainly nice to avoid putting the swab to the back of your throat! One of my kids came home with a pack from school recently, but not the other - no idea why. I haven't read the paperwork, but do they give a result in less than 30 minutes? The old ones always showed a successful test within a few minutes, but I always understood you need to wait 30 minutes. Fortunately I haven't seen a positive test yet, but wondered if the 'C' shows before the 'T'.
  9. I think's a fairly decent idea. We tend to do them if visiting grandparents. Work ask us too if we go in which for me is rarely. It's not 100%, but so much of this is about odds. I thought the press were pretty gentle with them given current state of affairs. I did appreciate the honest reply to the question about the House of Lords not following guidance.
  10. I've not yet had a chance to review the consultation, but chatting to out DPO (outsourced) today, it was mentioned about changes around children aged 13 moving to aged 16. Anyone picked up on that yet?
  11. BBC finally report in more depth on the high case rate https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58954793 I do feel the media haven't really shone a light up on the continued high, growing case rate and the impact it is having, even allowing for the hugely successful vaccine programme. Whilst hospital numbers are manageable right now, they are a long way from desirable and backlogs are ever growing - let alone the on-going impact on the dedicated NHS staff. I suspect we will see a 50k daily figure very soon and it'll flare up again with the wider media.
  12. Ditto

    Kindle Kids

    I guess broadly that was my view - I was just less succinct . Shame really as I'm using a Kindle fire right now and it's a nice little device, but not for school. *** Edit; Just had a cool thought. Imagine if CloudReady did Neverware to convert a Kindle into a chrometab! Never gonna happen though! ***
  13. A while back there was a bit of excitement about chrometabs. Anyone using them? What's the verdict? There was promise of improved OS to make tabs better to use, but retain the control with admin console - did it happen? Is there still a market here?
  14. Ditto

    Kindle Kids

    Is this for in school use? I wonder if there are alternatives. I feel Amazon missed a trick not working in the UK education sector. In the US they supported something called Whispercast, which apparently gave you control. But, I can't find much about it now, except this which doesn't look promising. My concern would be around KCSIE requirements if the devices are able to access the internet.
  15. Have to be honest, I preferred the one from 4 years ago. Poetically, it does look to be a bit a downward TREND() and signs of regression?
  16. I agree with this. Even if it's not enforceable by legislation, if the government was more in line with much of Europe requiring mask wearing, supporting home working and more cautious with large gatherings, I think we'd be in a better place. If the conclusion this is 'living with the virus', the idea of the current levels of cases, hospitalisations, death is very disagreeable. Perhaps a degree of herd immunity through vaccination (including third jabs) and infection in the younger age ranges will at some point see the numbers reduce, but it doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon.
  17. Your right, it is a lowbrow approach. If there was every a case of replicating IBM's sales FUD approach, this it it!
  18. A really key observation. There are often conflicting aspects to laws and when cases go through the courts, the judicial interpretations and conclusions are important.
  19. Apart from the pun , I think that's a very valid point, public versus private space recording. But again, that's the privacy part of law and my focus is on the judge's interpretation of DPA/GDPR. However, @localzuk has highlighted something important and is perhaps where the accused has fallen foul of GDPR, even covering public space.
  20. Yes, your use wouldn't trouble the judge I'm sure; own garden and GDPR is just for humans. Chris Packham might want that changed though! The following made me smile though - https://for-pets.co.uk/gdpr-privacy-policy/. I'm thinking of identifying as a badger, I wonder where that would leave me in terms of regulations?
  21. It's interesting point to add. I have no doubt around breach of privacy laws, but what really caught my eye is the reference to GDPR. I'll probably come back to this, but if anyone is interested, the ruling (rather than the journalistic slant) is at https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Fairhurst-v-Woodard-Judgment-1.pdf. Interestingly, it quotes "UK GDPR" several times. @elsiegee40 makes a notable comment around domestic use, which I don't see referenced anywhere in the judgement. ICO of course publish very valuable interpretation of the legislation, but other authorities may make contradictory interpretations. But the judgement does quote "Article 82 of the UK GDPR provides for compensation for material or nonmaterial damage, including distress". For me, the judgement is worth a read, if only for the write up on the assessments of witnesses! If the GDPR element is a mis-judgement, the defendant needs a better lawyer, but you'd think an appeal is on the way. With alleged circa £100k penalty riding on this, it'll be worth looking at this closely. In terms of impact of the ruling, local SM is already showing a number of spooked users, most saying they will turn off sound recording. One local reported that they had bought Ring yesterday and they are thinking of returning it. Right or wrong, the judgement is already having an impact. I suspect there is some mileage to go in this case, and if you Google the judge, you'll see she has been pulled up on 'misuse of power' by a court of appeal previously, so things can change. I'm feeling the need to summon @GrumbleDook, who I am sure has a much to add to the discussion. Linking back to the school environment, perhaps more on a privacy the DPA basis, I would think it wise to review the coverage of your surveillance, especially if you have audio recording - although in the schools I have worked in, audio was never part of it.
  22. The BBC quote when referring to the judge, particularly in relation to audio recording: "That, she said, was in breach of UK data laws - both the UK Data Protection Act and UK GDPR." Who is wrong here - the judge or the BBC journalist?
  23. I'm not so sure. I suspect many people are innocently recording more than their own property. This case might be extreme, but within domestic use I suspect it happens quite a bit. What is also interesting is to see the regulations tested in court and an outcome. Many aspects in DPA/GDPR don't have examples of being tested and this alone makes the report interesting - well, to me at least!
  24. Just one. The maths really isn't that difficult - once per year at least until the clock changes are abandoned
  25. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58911296 This might make you think about checking what you record at school and home.
×
×
  • Create New...