Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. Just on the postcodes, this sort of thing annoys the historical @Ditto programmer - the solution is good, but it could be better. Valid format does not equal valid post code. An external call via an API would be far better - for example see https://postcodes.io/ As an aside, how did you get to access the formulas - aren't they locked with a password?
  2. Yes, agreed, I thought is was mostly targeted at online social media, which are online, but then would running online support webinars count? I have some awareness of the competency of understanding, and sometimes see the Gillick competency test mentioned. But historically, that's focused on health topics, not GDPR. I did find one wiki article that is interesting to see how young people's rights have changed over time and circumstances. For example it can differ for criminal law, data protection law, health care laws and and sexual consent law. Even allowing for the changing times, the 17th century statement is shocking - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_young_people%27s_rights_in_the_United_Kingdom
  3. I'm trying to clarify the answer to a question around when parental consent is required to process a child's data. The particular topic that I'm struggling to nail down is the importance of the age 13 breakpoint. ICO reference age 13 many times. A couple of examples: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/children-and-the-uk-gdpr/what-are-the-rules-about-an-iss-and-consent/ https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/key-dp-themes/children/ Just search for "13" to go to the relevant section. In both instances, it refers to "Information Society Service" (ISS) which in lay terms I understand means online services. The piece I am struggling to get absolute clarity on, is whether the age 13 is relevant to just ISS or whether it's a universal (well England) truth for data protection. For example, if we run an in person service to a group of children in school, some under 13, some over, what's the position on the requirement to seek parental consent to process their data. For this scenario, I'm assuming 'consent' has been chosen as the legal basis for processing. In the scenarios I'm looking at, I'm not convinced that consent is always the best legal basis, but I'll save that topic for another time!
  4. BBC reporting Germany is considering banning the unvaccinated from shops and bars. Isn't there a point where vaccines need to be compulsory except for reasons that are currently legitimate exemptions. I don't think it's for the wider societal good to gradual ramp up sanctions against those who aren't vaccinated. Either give choice and live with the consequences at a societal level, or don't give the choice. The concept of compulsory vaccination pre-covid would be near unthinkable for me, as much due to freedom of choice (and our legislation), but we are in a very different world today compared the previous century.
  5. Mine's cached, so there's should be too. I'll check this though. Is there a force send on closure setting?
  6. Ditto

    Snow 2021!

    Here too, just an icing-sugar of snow! Lovely bright blue skies.
  7. A couple of colleagues login in to their work 365 accounts on their desktop Outlook. They each have a common account that is shared via their individual accounts. They are finding on occasions that emails sent from the shared account are getting delayed in the Outbox. Has anyone else seen this sort of issue or have any suggestions where to investigate.
  8. Ditto

    Snow 2021!

    Name change perhaps? Hardtailstar now identifies as Hardasnails
  9. Not trusted by all, but Daily Mail reported yes, they all tested negative before departure. I hope that's the last time I quote from the DM, but I didn't see anything else on the topic after 2 minutes of looking!!!
  10. I deal mostly with the CEO and I understand where you are coming from and there are some forthright views! I'm familiar with the quote and there's a lot more detail behind it but it focuses on the 'Accountability and Governance' part of GDPR, in particular the concept of 'Data protection by design and default'. I'll not go down that rabbit hole in this thread, but with several hundred schools using this DPO, it's likely what they say has some influence. The parent MAT of my local primary school governance also use them. I have emailed the trust to get some feedback, but currently a wall of silence.
  11. Ditto

    Snow 2021!

    You wear shirt sleeves up there! Pah! Have you seen those soft southerners winter swimming off Brighton beach?! Is regionalism a crime yet?
  12. Agreed, sounds worth a punt! I'll have to go with Windows Home Edition. The user has a digital license allegedly linked to a MS account so I'm waiting to check they do, but presumably it should be fine as an OEM hardware linked activation?
  13. Yes, that would make sense. I would expect the legal aspect has been discussed by the bigger players in the MIS market. ***EDIT - it made me smile that a competitor MIS advert was on screen whilst I typed this. It said "12 month contracts available"! ***
  14. I do wonder how strong the anti-competitive argument is in this saga. It would be interesting if a school or MAT submit a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading. I suspect the private equity firm has considerable access to legal advice, but if OFT accepted the complaint, it could change the landscape.
  15. Another advantage of centralised managed devices is the ability to roll out filtering/monitoring solutions. As browsing devices, you will need to ensure proper safe-afeguarding steps are in place. It's worth considering how to achieve that with a Linux approach. As often is the case, there will be more than one solution. I would suggest although mostly browsing, you may find a few teachers would soon want app X or y and managed chrome devices make that a doddle. Whichever way you go, do let us know how it pans out.
  16. They way I read it for under 18's, is out of a total of 300,318 cases, 243,722 were not vaccinated. There are some cautionary notes including advice to read pages 5 - 10 for vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic infection. Unfortunately pages 5 - 10 give no insight by age groups. The notes do comment on higher risk groups and high vaccination levels, but that is not so relevant with the under 18 group. An additional challenge is if the vaccine is highly effective, and leads to asymptomatic infection whereas otherwise it might have been symptomatic infection, there are likely to be a sizeable number of cases in the vaccinated that just aren't picked up. I did see in the week 36 report that it stated "Estimates of vaccine effectiveness range from around 55 to 70% after 1 dose, with little evidence of variation by vaccine or age group", so that's probably the best conclusion at present, unless anyone can find other resources that shines more light on the topic.
  17. I'd like to see that too. So far, what I have tracked is at the following location - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccine-weekly-surveillance-reports If you look at the PDF for week 47, track down table 8. The figures for under 18 are so dramatic, I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I'd appreciate a second pair of eyes looking at this. It would be far more interesting to see the under 18's separated to a finer level too.
  18. Absolutely the above - don't be daunted, it's actually a fun journey and there is so much help out in interwebland.
  19. Agreed. There is one thing that makes this virus particularly challenging - the ability to spread from the pre-symptomatic and the asymptomatic carriers. There's an interesting paper here. It's over a decade old and relates to influenza, but reading it, you could believe much of it relates to Covid-19.
  20. I do! I think the perception that this virus will evolve in to a much less severe variant over time, because others have historically, is crediting the virus with a near human-like cognition. It's purely following the life replication process and Darwin's laws. The world (as far as we know) has never been the world it has been today, both in terms of population size, international travel and indeed scientific ability. So, a virus has never evolved in quite this set of conditions, so past models may not prove to be accurate. Or even if accurate, the time frames may be completely different.
  21. Omicron is going to be a nervous watch. Is it even more infectious, is it much less severe, will it evade current vaccines? As a complete side note, this isn't the first time Omicron has been brought up on Edugeek! See http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/127753-david-ickes-internet-tv-station-live.html#post1091915! A David Icke link - who'd have thought hey?!
  22. I hear via local contacts that my governance primary school is rife with cases. My MSOA is currently top 0.05% in the cases per 100k! My year 10 is off having tested positive last week. Currently, I (3 jabs), OH (1 jab) and Year 8 son (1 jab) are testing negative. Without the vaccines, it would look very, horribly, different.
  23. 32GB version? It's currently on 1607, and is running out of space trying to get to 20H2. I've deleted pretty much every app, and as W10 asked, plugged in a massive USB drive to help, but it still bombs. Current freespace is reporting just under 7Gb. I'm thinking ISO install next, but open to other ideas.
  24. Agreed with the current price of about £600. At the time it was 40% off so nearer £350.
×
×
  • Create New...