-
Posts
6,216 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Ditto
-
Have OFCOM allowed BT to get away with a non-standard Digital Voice technology
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Likewise with my out-laws - BT and only BT. Drives me insane to see the money wasted as a result. -
Have OFCOM allowed BT to get away with a non-standard Digital Voice technology
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Fine for those that have the expertise and there are loads on Edugeek! But I think we need to remember the majority of customers are not that, and are given the internet providers router. What they are not told is all the money they spent on the swanky new phones will become wasted if you switch. Sadly, it sort of has an ESS feel about it! -
Have OFCOM allowed BT to get away with a non-standard Digital Voice technology
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Personally, I'd be happy to loose my landline number, but Mrs Ditto wants to retain it, in truth due to MiL! Does a vonage solution let you keep you 'landline' number? From what I'm reading the BT handsets are connecting to the hub via the WiFi, so WiFi determines the range rather than the DECT bandwidth dedicated to DECT. On an upside, I have now located the old DECT kit - or more truthfully, one of the OH's 'tidying' sessions led them to be somewhere they shouldn't have been and she located them under a pile of other stuff in the utility room. One base station, three satellite phones, one power cable and one phone cable each, all wonderfully plaited together. It took me an age to untangle the first one! Cable management should be added to the national curriculum -
Have OFCOM allowed BT to get away with a non-standard Digital Voice technology
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
I'm not sure, but if you can, then why couldn't it be the old BT Hub and have that work with my phones! At the end of the day, it's all going down the same fibre optic cable, offering the same internet access. I guess commercial aspects interfere. Just imagine every time you change energy supplier you had to change all your electrical devices and gas boiler! Internet is supposed to be an essential service nowadays and it needs to have compatibility and standards across the board. -
This is spun from the 'Annoying thread'. DECT is a standard that many manufacturers build to. Great. Having just switched to FTTP from BT to Sky, I learn my digital phones won't work with the Sky hub. The digital voice phone along with associated functionality only works with BT's hub. It's super annoying and going to cost me more money to resolve. Surely, there should be in place a Digital Voice based standard, especially as we'll all have to switch to it in the not too distant future. Thoughts?
-
Wow! Wonderful shots, nicely edited and I like the fact the sound track just enhances the experience rather than dominates it. A lot of talent there!
-
There are a lot of formerly taboo subjects that are now OK to talk about. For example, mention Botox and no one raises an eyebrow.
-
In license terms, from £0 to £4 per pupil per year. The bigger cost will be time to implement and train teachers how to use. In my opinion, well worth the cost. See https://edu.google.com/intl/ALL_uk/workspace-for-education/editions/compare-editions/ for the differences between the versions.
-
Thank you and I totally agree. I think what ESS are massively underestimating is the reputational damage. I know the last round of MIS churn data showed SIMS exodus was slowing, but I'm not sure that will continue. Having been unsuccessful in short-listed school job applications, both were in MATS and moving from SIMS shortly and others in their MATS have already done so or were about to. I'll add, these were Surrey schools, many whom I know were historically passive LA provided SIMS schools. As a governor for just shy of a decade at a school that wouldn't even discuss alternatives to SIMS, I think the juggernaut is rolling ever more strongly. I will be watching the next MIS churn data with interest.
-
Thanks for the advice, all seems logical. I hope you don't mind me asking and it's only because you are new and this is your first post, but could you give some background on you and any organisations you might be associated with that have an interest in this saga.. I'm going to make an educated guess it's not ESS for example! But in the interests of openness, it would be good to to know your back story. Thanks.
-
I have watched too. It's more than just depressing, it's well produced, not overly politicised, at times emotional and it's scary how many reminders of things we went through but so quickly forgot. With 2 in-laws working in the NHS, one A&E lead and other a midwife, some of it wasn't a shock just refresh of what we knew from insiders. Of all the simple lessons to learn PPE is a big one. When the enquiry is published, it will be worth reflecting on the dramatisation and seeing if it captures it all.
-
You're welcome . I can imagine it's a major headache with so many other things to fill your time. This is quite hands-on for a head, but having worked in a new Free School, I know how that can happen when needs must. Does the school have access to legal advice - either through insurance or other policies. I know Arbor have said they'd take on legal risk, but pro-actively bypassing the LA and ESS requirements has got to be consider as a risk. How much can Arbor migration team help I wonder. If they do the 'doing', personally I'd feel more comfortable. Do keep us posted as things progress.
-
I think you need to escalate, at least to your school business manager if you have one, and/or the head. You're not being enabled to do your job through no fault of your own and it's a legal minefield. The school must have access to legal advice, but that's someone else's responsibility to deal with. Assuming you are not at sitting in a role of that level, step away from heat otherwise you might get burnt.
-
I found this longer than normal BBC article really interesting. The discussion about sand-blasting is fascinating and the information on cork even more so! https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240222-how-odysseus-will-help-future-moon-missions
- 6 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- intuitive machines
- moon
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I just read the thrusters slow it down to 1m/sec for landing - that still seems quite quick, but I expect the lower gravity (is that the right expression!?) means it not such a thump as it would be here!
- 6 replies
-
- intuitive machines
- moon
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
The answer ChatGPT gave me (I like to experiment!) is basically no. However, it made a suggestion that I think has legs - does your version of Workspace have Vault. as that might give you an option. Also, I haven't used it for a little while but GAM or GAM+ might be worth looking at.
-
Are ESS trying to make it harder to migrate away from to SIMS?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in MIS Systems
I'm just imagining SIMS, Bromcom and Arbor presenting their products to Dragon's Den and the estimated company values... -
Power BI Licensing for Viewer Only Roles
Ditto replied to smarties11's topic in How do you do....it?
Having dug more into Power BI licensing I'm even more confused. See I'm having a meeting tomorrow with a Power BI consultant with a view to having someone in for a short term contract, to help build reports and accelerate me to Power BI expertise. I feel we need him before we sign up to any licensing! *** Edited to go to appropriate point in the video *** -
I'm always up for edu Hobnobs! I owe @Roberto an apology which I happily give as I completely got this one wrong! For reasons outside this forum, I'm perhaps too much in 'fight mode'! But, to be fair to the forum as a whole, this one is generaly extremely well behaved. Do join in!
-
If I've misread the intent happy to apologise and remove the post. *** EDIT - have deleted as I feel I did misinterpret the tone of the comment ***
-
Are ESS trying to make it harder to migrate away from to SIMS?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in MIS Systems
No idea really but I know sometimes people confuse business laws with domestic laws. You probably need to get your business manager talking to legal advisors. -
My son got a £900 Alphasync PC from ebuyer just before Xmas and I have no complaints. Delivery quick and easy, build quality strong good spec and I'd struggle to build much cheaper for the components. See https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Desktop-PC/subcat/Gaming-PC?brand=AlphaSync&price=1200+TO+1600 for a trio of PCs in or around your budget.
-
Are ESS trying to make it harder to migrate away from to SIMS?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in MIS Systems
They've blogged again... https://www.ess-sims.co.uk/resources/blog/mis-migrations-setting-story-straight-part-2 It does go on rather.
