Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,216
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. Law aside, if my son decides he doesn't want me to know his school attendance, do you believe I should have no rights in spite of my legal responsibility under: Section 444(1) Education Act 1996 – If the child is absent without authorisation then the parent is guilty of an offence. This is a strict liability offence i.e. all that needs to be shown is a lack of regular attendance. Sanctions can include a fine of up to £1,000 Even beyond age 18, I can have legal responsibilities to fund further education for the over 18 dependant. So, as a parent, and I mean specifically as a parent, not another third party, do you accept I should have rights related to some information relating to them.
  2. That would be my default position so the ICO guidance seems to be out of step with this. However, back to my original point, what about the rights of a parent to see a child's school data, what about that. I do find legislation and guidance around parenting and GDPR really challenging. Parent have many legal responsibilities, but it is unclear to me how conflicts of child wishes and parent responsibilities are dealt with.
  3. So looks like the big question is whether the data is public or not. For a full education record, definitely not as it goes way beyond just results data. If it's just grades, who can answer? More generally, it's odd that the same info can be shared earlier in time (child is below ?? age), but not later. Interestingly, indirectly related to the case I am looking at, the parents child support arrangements are dependent on the adult child's attendance to full time education. If that information is withheld, how can the parent know the level of support legally required. *** Update - here is a ICO viewpoint https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/schools/exam-results/ ***
  4. I did read about that scenario and in the past I think it was more common. I do recall a our local paper published the grades of the top achievers of local schools. In my school, that was attributed to the head boy. A good friend of mine was actually the one to hold the title of best grades, so his mum wrote to the paper and got a correction and apology! I don't think the school was best chuffed as the head boy ticked the 'well behaved, towing the line' sort. Whilst my friend was extremely smart but definitely one for his own opinions and thoughts about the schooling and only too happy to share them - sort of smart maverick if you like. I guess that's why I connected with him Anyway, I digress. If published, I suppose it is public, but post GDPR/DPA does it add an extra dimension where either a pupil does not give permission to share or exercises the right to be forgotten. Partly what I am trying to establish, if a request for the child's educational record is requested by a parent, will it be provided willingly?
  5. I recently looked at parent rights to access GCSE results of their child. I ended up looking in to this further with and in particular general rights of parents access to the wider education record. A nuance in the case I am looking at, is that the child recently turned 18. I assumed GDPR was going to be a big factor, and probably the rights of the child before age 18 may lead to restrictions to access. However, I was led to this https://childlawadvice.org.uk/information-pages/access-to-information/. What I found interesting is that there seems to be rights under The Education (Pupil Information) (England) Regulations 2005 for a parent to access this information. What I did find surprising is the statement about those rights applying to a state maintained school, but not necessarily an academy or free school - I find that quite surprising as ultimately the academies are state maintained, it's just the LA that is taken out of the equation. I'm interested in people's views, and perhaps more importantly experiences, in dealing with parents requesting education records for their child/children. Did you require the child's permission to release the data? I would add that I'm looking at this from the perspective of a parent requesting this information via a direct request, not via a SAR at this point. The article above suggest via the governing body, but that seem odd to me.
  6. Well, this hasn't gone well... CMA have suggested analysis and review due this month. https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/investigation-into-conduct-of-education-software-solutions-limited-51427#case-timetable. I trust Bromcom have highlighted this example to the CMA.
  7. My comments make two assumptions from the OP. i) it's state funded school ii) I'm taking 'must have' literally With my ex-governor hat on, and referring to https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5af99c8ae5274a25e78bbe30/Charging_for_school_activities.pdf
  8. Getting Sky-Q via satellite, regardless of whether you get BB via Sky or someone else, would be a good outcome. Avoid Sky stream/puck for as long as possible based on current experiences. What are your thoughts on the telephone options - are you retaining a landline? If you are able to run your own VOIP solution, I would recommend that, as phone charges over IP via most major ISPs are, and I chose my words carefully, scandalous!
  9. A little job hunting brought this up That's a long time to be in education!
  10. As stated by @Andrew_C, if you can add her to your policy, that is likely to be the best value by far. It might even be value for money to add her to the end of the policy cover period. The inside expert has replied with the following: "temporary car insurance isn’t that well served by price comparison websites yet. 4 weeks will be pretty expensive. Veygo, GoShorty, Cuvva, and Zixty are worth a look." Insurance prices can surprise. My mum had to add my brother to her home insurance as he is living in her house for a fair while. It's led to a refund on the renewal price!
  11. Will come back shortly, but a close friend specialised in this market, particularly with startups. I know it is v. expensive if you pro-rata up rate to compare to annual! But cover can be from a few hours, but generally less than a month. What sort of car are we looking at?
  12. Is this a formula you need the answer in a cell, to be updated as the sheet updates? Or would interactive use of the sheet to get the answer be sufficient. If the latter, remember 'Filter by colour' and then filter for blanks. The answer will be in the extreme lower left of the screen, where the filter details are located.
  13. Genius pun-ery! Retirement clearly suits you
  14. I think they are the most stunning shots I've seen all weekend - including from mainstream media organisations.
  15. I fully agree on this and I think every migration I have heard about includes reference to data deletion policy. In truth, the data shouldn't be in the old system, the same GDPR rules apply! But, I realise in reality, we don't live in a perfect world.
  16. Well, it guess which measure you base it on . On the data presented, I'll stick with my interpretation!
  17. Latest market share movements from the marvellous @bringmoredata blog. https://bringmoredata.blogspot.com/ It's hard to tell from here how much impact ESS's blocking tactics are having, but SIMS is now below 50%. My summary is: Arbor continue to boom Bromcom win a biggie SIMS decline slows, but continues
  18. Probably a discussion worthy of a different thread, but having been a FTTP for over 2 years, I have some hands-on advice with regards my 2 main options for me of BT and Sky as providers. I probably wouldn't be where I am now with the benefit of hindsight, but still enjoying the fantastic speed!
  19. I'm sure the mods will answer in their own words, but I would think it is a 'general' policy. I'd recommend just starting it is in the installation guide. A lot of us here on Edugeek appreciate your work, indeed I referred your observations to our DPO and they adapted there advice to their clients about the police cyber alarm as a result. What I wouldn't recommend is reposting passwords in other threads, no need to poke the friendly bear!
  20. Nope. The swim event is first so you would have been eaten before you could run.
  21. The Brood numbering systems is explained here.
  22. I won't be passing comment on Sports, PE, spelling and teachers - oops, I just did!
  23. Trial premium-pro is the likely scenario - I wouldn't have seen what they did at the time but 60 days is around the mark. Unfortunately it all leads to an unpleasant feeling, akin to Freemium catching. I feel badly for those on earlier versions where it all worked beautifully without the additional expense, to find that all that work is now unusable without topping up MS coffers even more. I guess that's commerce! In our case, I think the charity will bite the bullet, but we'd much rather the charities funds were spent on our prime goal of supporting young people, children and families emotional wellbeing and mental health.
  24. Final update. I found the original link. I got a colleague to test. It required an upgrade. He recalled 100% it worked before and a second colleague confirmed. So all in all, that was just MS licensing weirdness and should not have worked. Oh well, just need to get the charity to cough up even more money to MS for everyone who wants to view/use a Power BI report that I have built.
×
×
  • Create New...