-
Posts
6,216 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Ditto
-
I'm not a Bromcom user, or currently any other MIS, but I have used a few, including in depth the now deprecated Progresso. Also, my career included software engineering and being software development manager of large scale commercial products. So I understand many of the challenges of building good software. What worries me is Bromcom is highly rated amongst the MIS providers, but the issues raised in the last couple of days do seem to crop up regularly. If AWS is linked to the problem, it still needs resolving as customers only care about the end user experience and not deflected blame. Advanced Learning/One Advanced hit performance issues in my time working with their software, but they seem to have largely cracked it with 'sharding'. Bromcom obviously have many more schools to deal with, but I think they really needed to get this under control or risk longer term reputational damage. The other big concern I have is seeing functionality that was working, stop working following new releases. As a software development manager, I worked closely with software testing managers. We invested heavily in automated regression testing to prevent updates being released that broke existing functionality. It isn't easy, it is hard work, but really with the size of the top MIS market providers, this should deeply embedded within software release processes.
-
https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/media-centre/news-and-blogs/2024/07/essex-school-reprimanded-after-using-facial-recognition-technology-for-canteen-payments The school in Essex introduce facial recognition software for cashless payments for meals. There were some pretty basic failings. not consulting DPO opt out option only, not affirmative opt-in no consultation with pupils/parents age of consent ignored and relied on parents permissions The reprimand is at https://ico.org.uk/action-weve-taken/enforcement/chelmer-valley-high-school/ In the light of this, other school maybe want to check if they are following the ICO guidance, in particular in relation to biometric data.
-
Are ESS trying to make it harder to migrate away from to SIMS?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in MIS Systems
Very unsatisfactory and hard to believe some statements. I wonder what the new migration steps are - perhaps as a result of the competition thread?! From my younger days, the expression that comes to mind of the CMA is 'they've bottled it!'. -
The Wildlife (and Gardening for Wildlife) thread
Ditto replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
Thanks for the input on video capture. Interesting that the suggestions are from general domestic security suppliers rather than than trail cams. Is that purely because the world has moved away from the trail cams or that they usually have a camouflage requirement. I probably don't need it to be camouflage, but equally I don't want it standing out to passers-by - which there are very few as it a cul-de-sac of 9 houses. I also not there seems to be a push to solar solutions to boost battery life - I don't think I'll be needing that. -
The Wildlife (and Gardening for Wildlife) thread
Ditto replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
There's a reasonable stretch of grass adjoining the side of my house with access road next to it. We are within a couple of hundred yards of a common. Yesterday, whilst mowing and clearing some dropped Bramley's, I noticed several patches of what I believe to be deer droppings. Q1 - would deer eat Bramley apples or would they be grazing the grass - there's plenty more on the common where deer a regularly seen. Q2 - what recommendation would you make for rapidly (i.e. probably an Amazon Prime order) setting up a camera capture some footage. I have a fence, fence post, shed and house wall that would provide a suitable fixing point and it would most likely be within WiFi range. -
As alluded to in the 'Cool things thread', I had just shy of a week as a bachelor chap and managed to watch three movies. Poor Things - sort of OK but concur with earlier comments in this thread. After a few days of reflection, I am left with the feeling of 'so what', what is the underlying story - could be me, so whilst OK, it leaves a bit of a vacuum. Wicked Little Letters - laugh out funny often and wonderfully acted by the cast. The incessant swearing is really part of the story, which of it doesn't offend you adds enormously to the humour. The Intern with De Niro - I have to be honest, I didn't expect much on this, but I really enjoyed it. Proper laugh out loud at times (and I don't think it was the wine!). Perhaps being of a certain age in a world of millennials made it funnier for me, but I found it hugely enjoyable and a few nice insights that are pertinent to the world we live in.
-
Things that could have been improved before being approved...
Ditto replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Maybe it's an attempt at subliminal marketing - you need to sand before painting so sort of logical - well almost -
I got hit by a power tool. Everything was fine... then Bosch!
-
Excel challenge - wrapping text from a FILTER function
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
Turns out this solution became very short lived! It's limited to 255 characters - gees Microsoft, that's arcane. Now exploring ActiveX control box hidden away under developer mode, but it will be less visually appealing. Power BI probably a better route, but has the complications and expense of more licensing costs! -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
What is a little strange is with my son there is no sign of respiratory impact, purely headaches and gastrointestinal. Another neighbour had these symptoms go through 3 out of 4 of the family but didn't COVID test. -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Son just tested positive. I'm currently negative. A neighbour is reporting positive. I reckon there is a fair bit about. Vomiting appears to be a more common symptom this time around. -
Excel challenge - wrapping text from a FILTER function
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
Very close - thanks! What I like about TEXTJOIN is it removes the array and therefore #SPILL! issues. It set me thinking about using CHAR(10) rather than "," (Thanks @mavhc, but was already there file:///C:\Users\Graham\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png). As ever with Excel, it's a little quirky - the results only displays as wanted with WordWrap. But, as my goal was to put this in a Shape (TextBoxed), just referencing the cell with the results works very nicely. I'll try to post the solution sheet, but having Cloudflare issues! -
Excel challenge - wrapping text from a FILTER function
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
Thanks! I think Excel could point me in that direction with a far clearer message than ""This formula is missing a range reference or a defined name". Although, once you know, of course that message makes a lot more sense! I get's that's the value of experience!!! -
Excel challenge - wrapping text from a FILTER function
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
-
Excel challenge - wrapping text from a FILTER function
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
Pending solution to Cloudflare issue -
Looks delicious. If you have any left, see my earlier post for another plum dish - /forums/general-chat/214412-educook-cookery-help-ideas-thread-7.html#post1913090
-
Excel challenge - wrapping text from a FILTER function
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
As an additional note, I've no idea why it returns a "0" when a response is empty, but adding TEXT(,"") overcomes that issue! -
Excel challenge - wrapping text from a FILTER function
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
Original example file updated to better show the challenge. -
Excel challenge - wrapping text from a FILTER function
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
I'll update the example later, but Q2 values from B5 and below should be in cell F5 and below. I then want the wrapping to occur over the width of col A-D. But I don't want to change the width of Cols A and B. Normally, merge cells would be the mechanism. Apart from the fact I generally dislike mergin, try that and see what happens. -
Excel challenge - wrapping text from a FILTER function
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Office Software
Here's an attached example.FilterChallenge.xlsx -
This one has me stumped for now. I have a sheet with three columns of data that contain 2 textual answers and a final column that identifies a programme the comment relates too. I have a sheet for each programme. I am using the FILTER function in each sheet to pull the 2 columns of data out, the response to the questions. The issue I am having is allowing the output to word wrap where the response is lengthy. Due to data above the FILTER command, I don't want to make the column wider. Trying to merge cells leads to a #SPILL! error. I liked the idea of having the FILTER command as a function on a shape box, but the function that works in a cell doesn't work on shape/text box. It reports "This formula is missing a range reference or a defined name". Any suggestion how to work around this challenge. I will see if I can get an example Workbook as they always explain the problem better, but the machine I am typing this on Excel 2013 and does not have the FILTER command, and my work laptop has M365 (although I almost exclusively use Desktop app), but I don't use Edugeek on that!
-
Parents rights to access a childs education record
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
Thanks you all for your comments. It's been useful to hear about the schools that respond to requests under Edu regulations - although I find it bizarre academies aren't help to the same regs. Whilst I fully subscribe to individual rights over data, for me there is a difference to companies processing data for commercial reasons, over a parent seeking information to help them ensure the child's wellbeing (including education). I do feel there are challenges where a child is in the lower age range (approx. 12 to 14) and this can make life complicated for a parent, by the child claiming GDPR rights to block parents being fully informed. In fact I'm not persuaded they entirely have that right. It would appear the Edu legislation largely overcomes this. Where a child is over 18, but in FE, and a non-resident parent is working under child maintenance arrangements (CMA), and responsible for contributions to the child's education, they should be provided with some information. For example, I think it reasonable the non-resident parent is kept aware if the supported child is still registered in full time education. It directly impacts their legal financial commitment. For clarity, none of this scenario relates directly to me, some is wider family related, some hypothetical. Throughout, my singular focus is the best interests of the child(ren), but as another thread discusses, in the case of divorcing parents, endless lies by one party can leave the other party in extremely difficult circumstances when all they are trying to do is the best for their offspring. One finally link that I found helpful - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dealing-with-issues-relating-to-parental-responsibility/understanding-and-dealing-with-issues-relating-to-parental-responsibility -
I'm a little confused by the several post in this thread about Wonde. Can it really access all the data in SIMS to enable a migration to proceed with a migration to another MIS? If yes, do they yes a dedicated set of API's or have some other means of accessing the data. Another point, I though Arbor deal with the same need by continuing to use a backup database whilst agreeing to cover any legal concerns down the line. Any reason why Bromcom won't do they same?
