Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. Tired werewolf - wearywolf
  2. Does look exciting - Oooh matron
  3. I hope I can summarise several years of conversation on Edugeek on this topic. Explore option 1. Don't go anywhere near option 2. Financially, you are likely to be better off, functionally you will be far better off.
  4. Had a laugh out loud moment with the Titanic comment
  5. Thanks to those that mentioned Windows support - either I didn't know that or had forgotten! I was aware of Chromebook support. I will have to advise colleagues of the Windows key H option, I can't see a mic key on any of the laptops I have access too. I suppose the same data security question remains with Windows, but accept working with MS is going to be a more trodden path than a random extension writer. As an aside, who has a DPIA and Data sharing agreement that they can pull up that cover the MS estate? I'd suggest we don't, but I will asl the question. The discussion has also raised another question about our outsourced IT suppliers. Given how hot they claim they are on security, why are the letting me add extensions with no consideration to data security
  6. I'm reviewing a few voice to text chrome extensions (from Chromestore) for use on Windows 10 and 11 devices. I will be checking with our DPO, but does anyone have experience of this and have thought about data concerns?
  7. Yes, the lady at the office recommended that. We were advised to make contact once we had a death certificate - £12.50 to purchase. I'd still like to know if we should be able to see the certificate without having to buy a copy, as it's a public record. Regardless, we will buy one and probably reach out to the bereavement team in due course.
  8. I thought it worth adding an update. Ultimately a slightly sad outcome, but an experience of learning. I took my mum to Guildhall in Kingston as that was where electoral registers were held. 192.com indicate there were records of the long lost cousin being registered there. Firstly, I could not praise the staff their highly enough, they were friendly, helpful and genuinely interested. We had date range and ploughed through registers for a couple of hours to no avail. Speaking to the staff, I explained the situation and said I believe we could search he full ancestry.co.uk registers only with a subscription. They explained they have full access with a 'librarian' version of the same. They brought a laptop and let us browse - I could see from the URL it was a 'librarian' version. This revealed a match and a more accurate date range for electoral registers. We managed to track this down to a specific paper record and gleaned a full address - and indeed from an older register a previous address. Tip #1 - many libraries offer the ancestry site access, so not always necessary to pay a monthly fee. However, the searches still showed no indication of a death being registered. As we were wrapping up, we decided to pop into the death, births, registry etc. office which was in the same circular building around about 15 degrees away! Speaking to a lady at reception, but sitting a few feet away, I asked if they held recent death registrations. The lady was initially reserved but asked for details of the long lost family member. We had full name, date of birth and I suspect essentially, the newly discovered last address. The reserved demeanour changed and there was a lot of typing on the keyboard - it was clear to both of us that we were on to something. The lady stood up and came to the front desk and said, "Yes, there is a register of death". It turns out this occurred 12 years earlier. She explained she could not give too many details, but we got the date of death. She explained that we could purchase a death certificate and could proceed from there. We will do that, and inform closer next of kin. My subsequent searches indicate there was no will and most likely no probate. The address indicates the cousin was living in a very small room in a flat (it reminded of recent student digs I'd seen for my son heading for Uni next year). We know the cousin didn't stay in touch with family after his own fathers death, and it appears to be entirely his life choice, but it feels sad he passed with no family around and we have no idea at this point as to cause of death and what burial/cremation arrangements took place - but we will find out. My mum seemed fine, but she had pointed previously that he was probably, apart from her, that last of that generation. So, whilst we mostly have a degree of closure, there's a little more to be learnt, but the path forward is clear. One the learnings for me, is that whilst death records are 'public records', it doesn't appear to me to be a straight forward route to access. I've tried many routes, with one left that is API driven, which I explore just because I'm a technical person! It does irritate me that some public records are only easily accessible on payment of fees. I detest the monetisation of public records, but equally acknowledge the work and expense that has gone in to digitisation of records to enable searches. But records from the last 20 years - surely they should be digitised at source. So all-in-all, a really interesting exercise and not overly emotional - my mum probably hadn't seen the cousin for maybe up to 40 or more years. My take-away - if you have long unseen family, even if 30 or more years - reach out, they may still be alive. They might not be interested in contact, but give them a chance. And finally, cherish those around you, especially elderly parents or parent, we all are running a clock down - we just don't know how long for.
  9. It's a while since I've used SSRS (on a Progresso report) but I'm sure you are on the right lines. I know I did something similar way back when. I even had horrible cases where I used to do something for a small number students and had dedicated code. I will have some old rdl's around so if I get a chance I'll see if I can find my technique, but what you are showing feels close to the solution.
  10. IT technician and Xerox technician onsite together last week. I believe some issues are now resolved. A3 printing - need to buy another tray. Printer seller did not advise that! Colours still poor. Xerox engineer advised us to go back to the branding team suggesting they have a pantone that maybe won't match to CMYK options. There's no way we'd redo our brand colours. All in all, very unsatisfactory!
  11. Watched "Yesterday" yesterday! First post here at /forums/tv-movies/143036-last-movie-i-saw-143.html#post1845782. The basis of the film is somewhat insane, but I laughed a fair bit, it was nicely done and I would recommended for a lightweight 2 hours of entertainment. We were going to watch 'Killers of the flower moon' but on seeing the length, deferred to another time. Plus it's pricey on the platforms we have so would most likely be an Apple TV free trail!
  12. Correction to an earlier post - it's Surbiton, not Sutton! Oh, and just turned 89, not 91. BT Phonebook download drew a blank, but 192.com indicated a match. In fact, it highlights electoral roll records for 2002 and 2012 suggesting a local move (one number difference on the outward postcode). I haven't found an online source, but it's a 20-minute train journey, so a visit to the library or other record-keeping office is on the agenda. The postcode area also shows up just two care homes, which is a possible location, so a couple of calls will be made. Whether we bump into GDPR blockage remains to be seen!
  13. Which model out of interest? I have an ancient Dell UltraSharp U2711 27" IPS, I bought it 8 years ago second hand so it at least 10 years old but still going strong. I'm sure I am overdue an upgrade - I'd imagine energy consumption would be way less with a replacement!
  14. Thanks for this. Funnily enough one of the 2 overseas companies has just notified us of their presence on the DPF list. I checked and they are indeed there! I suspect our DPO is not quite up to date. Could you expand on you comment about opt-in on US site - do you mean they have if they are on the DPF list? I was a little confused by the 'UK hosting' comment.
  15. Emotional Health and Wellbeing for children and young people. We run a lot of early intervention programmes and work closely with a lot of local schools. We have a contract, along with a number of other charity partners, supporting NHS funded CAMHS work, although that's also known as Mindworks in Surrey. Whilst we have a small overlap with the medical, or more accurately clinical support, we find systems targeted at that sector are not a great fit with what we do. At its simplest it is a case management system, but needing support for both one to one tracking, but also group work and running one off events.
  16. Of the three, one is UK. The other 2 only offer US/Canada. Of those 2, one may offer UK/EU in the future but for the functionality we want now, this is the only option. It's a niche sector so options are limited.
  17. Oh, FB is unlikely to work on a direct match. The cousin would be 91 and unlikely to be a FB user. Regardless I did a FB search but nothing looked promising.
  18. We believe the cousin is still alive based on searches to date. 192 suggests a match. It then says register to get the details. On registration, it then says cough up the cash. It didn't indicate a cost before hand - this tactic really annoys me. I'll find another way!
  19. Telephone directory is a great shout! Didn't think of that but it's definitely worth a bash. FB, not so sure, there area is Sutton, so high population - not sure if that's a good thing or more needle in a haystack. We have been advised that Sally Army can help, but they appear to charge.
  20. Great news! Hope the funding challenges get sorted, as without them very few charities survive. Looking forward to next Spring with another round of rescues!
  21. We are looking at changing our core case management system. For all extents and purposes, this is analogous to replacing your school MIS, including all the special category data you will be familiar with. We are evaluating a shortlist of 3. One host its data on AWS in the UK - this one is nice and simple for GDPR. The second and third offer Canada/US. Following discussions with the latter 2, both have confirmed Canada exclusively is an option. We are getting broad advice that US is the highest risk, and although not stated, I believe it is to do with the US Patriot Act. I am aware Canada has legislation that is more in line with EU GDPR regulations, with noted updates in Summer 2023. I have come across the term 'adequate' within UK Gov and on the ICO site. For Canada it seems to be Adequate (partial). I believe the 'partial' is due to it being stated for private businesses, which is probably what we are as we are not public. I have also read the US may be 'adequate', but my research to date his proved inconclusive. Generally advice on US data storage is "don't". The challenge we have is knowing the true situation and that it is an up to date opinion. Ultimately we know it is a risk based decision, and we plan to have a Data Sharing Agreement in place and will complete a DPIA, but I'd be grateful if anyone is familiar with this topic. I know it's more in the deep end of GDPR questions, and we are consulting with our DPO, but I have this sneaking feeling, @GrumbleDook might just be the guru we are looking for guidance from, but all thoughts welcome.
  22. I think those remaining mostly silent are faring best.
  23. Anyone with genealogy insight? My mum is trying to track down what she believes is a last surviving cousin. We have found no evidence of death, we know full name and date of birth and think we know approximate location. We are trying to find a home address. We thought we were on to something by considering visiting local council office and reviewing poll records, but it appears you need to know a street name and then have to have someone present when you view - doesn't feel particularly 'public' record by oh well. Any suggestions, ideally that don't need subscriptions of fees paying.
  24. I see that the amount raised is now at 121%. Any update on how things are looking?
  25. Fitbit charge 2 - does all I need, is mostly readable in daylight/sunshine. Had to replace my old one with one from CEX. Only needs charging at most once a week. Later models just seem to need charging way too often, and are hard to read in brighter light conditions - well my OH's later model is like that. So many products just don't seem to be genuinely advancing like they did in the past. Monetisation has taken over technological advancement in my opinion, but that's probably a thread worthy of it's own!
×
×
  • Create New...