Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

JRA

Members
  • Posts

    952
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JRA

  1. Got some cheap-ey HDMI splitters in and now getting issues with one of them not outputting to both screens. Seems to upset something in the PC where it can't now output to both (yes really, with a splitter) and only ever wants to treat the HDMI signal as monitor 2. This is absolutely insane. However the other one in my ongoing saga (currently have two on the go to test) is behaving perfectly. I don't get how this can be such carnage. And this coming from an era of projectors they've replaced which just behaved beautifully all the time.
  2. All Sharp here, work fine and engineers VERY swift to attend (same day if they can.) PaperCut works like a charm with it, very happy.
  3. Do like DaVinci Resolve for the bigger projects when they come up. Also miss Movie Maker dearly.
  4. Looks unenviable! Have you done it yet? If so how'd it go? If I were tinkering in that way I'd probably think about DD-ing the partitions off, re-partitioning the disk slightly over-size, then DD them back and resize with gparted. But to be honest the path of least resistance (from looking at it) would be gparted to move and resize as you planned. Usual caveats of "if it works right" and "so long as you have solid backups" and all that apply! In fact as it's hosting VMs you need to run the DD dogleg option might not be the best thing. If you HAVE done it now though did it go ok?
  5. HIGHLY recommend ABCD https://www.abcdtech.co.uk/ No-nonsense, incredibly reliable and always good on price.
  6. MacFixer for me. Darren has been consistently super. https://macfixer.co.uk/ Generally the maintenance costs aren't bad for us so I take them from the IT budget.
  7. I wonder how many people just starved to death trying to leave floor 2. Reminds me of that elevator game creepypasta where pressing numbers takes you to some alternate dimension.
  8. Someone installed and signed off on MORE THAN ONE of those. :(
  9. Good suggestion, yes we did in fact go this way back in December.
  10. Seen Mosyle in two places, cryptic and unworkably slow/unreliable sending commands. Or indeed doing anything. Went with Jamf over Christmas and not looked back, it's been super.
  11. Are you on the same VLAN as the camera when on the PC it works with?
  12. Can you get an RTSP stream out of the camera for VLC (other media players are available) and see if that works?
  13. Anything helpful in Applog about it?
  14. HAHAhahaha it's ok I did eventually get there.
  15. I didn't get this for a really REALLY long time. I was like "Houmous? Why is that funny? Is it the low fat one?" "What's funny about houmous?" "The onion houmous is at a funny angle maybe it's that." "Is it that?" "It's just houmous I think. Tubs of houmous..." I need a sit down and a cry.
  16. Good luck. Thoughts and prayers and all that.
  17. Is it pretty much definitely the disk space? Having done similar before, mine was an HP server (G8 I think) and we ended up expanding the array from a smart start disc in the thing, sticking a couple extra drives in. Or if you wanted to get ugly with it I have booted a Ubuntu disc/iso and DD-ed arrays over to bigger arrays/disks before now. Any of those an option? Or anything like them?
  18. This a VM or no?
  19. Goodness - average house price was around £9.5k then! (And a basic Roller was about £14.2k)
  20. Are these patches from a VST or somesuch? Or recorded audio material? Have Steinberg been any help?
  21. Thanks Tom. Did experiment with Chrome in the troubleshooting but no joy with that one (your representative Alex K though was super helpful.) I'm reluctant to move away from Safari as I can foresee "something" in the future (or even current apps) leaning on it in some fashion and then the world collapsing. If you've got a mo, what does Firefox do for this which the other browsers won't? Apologies if that answer is "it just likes certificates with longer dates on." Appreciate indeed Apple not making this/other things easy. Failing all the above though is the answer to have a 1-year cert and renew, say, every summer?
  22. Morning all. Got a bit of a thing going on where I can't restrict search terms on ipads with Smoothie. Same decryption cert is pushed out in GP to PCs and laptops (and works fine) with Jamf doing it for ipads. Cert is on them for sure but students can still search for the restricted terms. Smoothwall support (who were super helpful tbh) suggest it's due to the length of our certificate (valid for several years to come) and ipads don't like that; recommend we make that anew annually. Anyone out there have the same thing? And did you remedy it in the same way? Thanks all.
  23. Just chiming in from the (far) future to say rpisurv is worth a look if you're wanting to auto-open RTSP streams/media with a pi. Had a good old fiddle with VLC but dropped it in the end. Working well for a little school display here and some live CCTV monitors.
  24. If I were doing it "properly" I'd use Xibo. Having done it "quick and dirty" semi-recently I've got a Raspberry Pi set up with rpisurv that just plays a .m4v on rotation. When I get 10mins I'll stick a Samba share on the source for the lil movie it plays so users can drag a file with a specific name into a specific folder and then restart the box and have it display the movie over and over. Movie is just an exported Powerpoint, because everyone likes Powerpoint.
  25. I discovered that the middle pedal in it helps me to slow down when I approach built up areas and police vehicles.
×
×
  • Create New...