JRA
Members-
Posts
952 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by JRA
-
Coming back to say Macfixer were really super. Swift turnaroud and price was ace (much cheaper than Timpson.)
-
What words do you (or someone you know) say incorrectly...?
JRA replied to Koldov's topic in General Chat
If writing things counts I'm reminded of a time the school canteen were serving chicken cacciatore. The menu said "chicken cacatory" which... isn't that. -
Thanks both! Macfixer looks super.
-
Hello all, Anyone know of anyone who can (reliably) repair a box of sick ipads for money? Got about half a dozen with mostly screen issues. Not having much luck finding anyone who'll take a box of ipads in, do the deed in a half timely fashion and is happy invoicing us then posting them back. Let me know if there's anyone you use/can recommend. Thanks.
-
What words do you (or someone you know) say incorrectly...?
JRA replied to Koldov's topic in General Chat
On a related note my ex, who also took MUCH persuading to the contrary, insisted the character was named DARK Vader. -
Did once have an utterly infuriating faff with this. Whatever I did, whatever guide I followed or how beautifully simple the rest of the world found it or however many times this had worked before on everyone else's networks I could NOT get it to behave. In the end I set the Smoothwall box the place had as NTP server and that worked fine.
-
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
JRA replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Haha thanks fellas. It's pretty much only the Monster cherry ones that I'm on. The way my health has been going these past few years (NOT energy drink related I hasten to add) I think something else will get me before these do but at least I'll be fully caffeinated. -
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
JRA replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
I have been bulk-buying energy drinks (I get through so so many) and it's definitely helped. Probably not my cardio vascular system but has done the bank account. -
Paxton Net2 issues with controllers Unknown firmware Status
JRA replied to taner91xp's topic in Enterprise Software
Might be worth asking Paxton themselves, they are for the most part pretty hot on supporting stuff. https://www.paxton-access.com/contact-us/our-technical-support/ -
Congratulations! I can't even maths myself. Did pass GCSE maths at school, oddly enough really liked algebra! But the rest of it was hard and boring and I hated it.
-
PRTG be anything like what you want? Can do all sorts but it'll do that also. Got it up on a spare Intel NUC and separate monitor on the wall. https://www.paessler.com/ EDIT: They generously give you 100 "sensors" free and a sensor can be anything from pinging a thing to a service running on a thing to free disk space on a thing. Have also run Nagios in the past though that can be a bit prickly to learn.
-
Must be a ain in the osterior.
- 12 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- alt+112
- lock screen
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
JRA replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
VAGUELY related (sorta) but sausages I noticed are flippin' £2/pack in Sainsburys, and if you do buy them there's often TWO DAYS until they expire. Heck is going on?? -
In a former life was a Thai boxer. Hit the other guy way more than they hit you. Spar. A lot I reckon. Keep hands up and chin tucked, lead with the left and keep the pressure on. If you have the longer reach use that to keep your opponent at bay until you figure out the next "something" to do. I'd also say ignore most hints from folks on the internet (especially me) and do whatever and as much of what your coach tells you. They make their livings and have spent their years specifically training fighters and know even better than you what'll improve you in the timeframe. Spar a lot. You'll get nerves, probably BAD nerves, but that's fully totally ok (legit every fighter in the universe does and has done.) You're there for charity though which is a totally amazing thing to do, so don't forget that. We'll all wanna see you having done well and everyone donating will be behind you. Spar too. You'll gas out fast, don't worry. Cardio will help with that. Just go with it. As soon as you hit each other a few times the process just "aligns" quite appropriately. You'll see what I mean. Sparring I'd say definitely, not sure how far along you've come in things but that's quite a feat to be tackling a fight with only a few weeks of training. Get used to getting hit, it's a very visceral and "distressing" experience at first! Also if you're one of those people who's too nice at first to hit people in training (I sure was) ask your coach for strategies to overcome that - and don't worry if so, everyone is there at the club to punch you and get punched too so it's what you all pay for. Good luck out there! Post a vid up of your bout if there is one? Gave you a little sponsor and a cheeky message.
-
Got my 4-monthly bill in this morning (Oct-Jan.) Didn't know what to expect but it was £490 which is twice what it was last year. 2 bed mid-sized semi, just me and fish. Paid it, that's me eating noodles and dust until March.
-
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
JRA replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Leave them in direct sunlight on the window sill for weeks? Got it. Quite keen on The Offspring. In the car it's usually plugged in. -
Reading this nervously, just gone for a BUNCH of MX boards.
-
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
JRA replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Mine will charge on a windowsill but it is slow. It gets left there days though. Sometimes gets charged in the car but not frequently. Allegedly outside in sunlight is far better so I'd imagine gloomy windowsill wouldn't do much. Did it tell you to do the first full charge off the mains? I do recall it needed that. -
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
JRA replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
One of these little things: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354255374974?hash=item527b440a7e:g:NRoAAOSw09VjBJTA&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8Kfqzs4GdBIYvC9mjvYMT3g7t3nzQmbX2gmBtFa6P6iaknVbmtd2zJfu0BdM%2FgiFUi6w2J3tbGOJcC9u7u8FOk0VnX7%2FOgmU%2FvO0tyTki7q%2BOGbKwdre0vRQD7YTGhbcHXUvba3%2B3GkdGeyUrH5JOES7Q88zwpzAlntCE4d33Rnd6X%2FmY97Z9BLfGM11U7BYhIhpoHwqLv8X53GRNiE%2Fz4xKs4YFcw7BW71%2FvxUE2TXF5WGUTYpoesP2lRItzGoy0064waavDzhm8zCM861abXi5uhuSyYICwJasdr3oRPoLnUpAxcayTMZIRoAsWJJctQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6rZt7e-YQ Claims* 9000000mAh. -
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
JRA replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
I have a USB-powered ceramic bladed hair clipper, which will do a very passable #1.8-2 on my hair and beard. Think it cost all of £17. Also have a solar USB battery pack for it which seems to never ever run down (which I vaguely recall cost about the same.) At £12/haircut it has paid for itself and I can recharge it/other devices for free from nature. I luckily mitigate wear and tear on the blades by going bald as quickly as possible, and also save the time I'd spend at the hairdresser dreaming of a future where androids do my washing up. -
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
JRA replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Off-topic, but a friend and I were discussing this very thing and SURELY there should be more robots doing housework by now. -
BAD_Lease from wireless devices - Scope ran out of IP
JRA replied to bicky's topic in Wireless Networks
Have a very hazy memory of tackling something similar once. Turned out it was a staff Galaxy S# phone doing it. I'd have definitely started where you were and looked on a device to see what IT thought it's DHCP server was. Can you in your (newer than mine) Ruckus setup, stop devices talking to each other on any particular subnet/wireless network and only whitelist the gateway? How long has it been going on even? Also YONKS ago had a strange problem that I never did get to the bottom of where I was sure a Unifi WAP or two were hogging DHCP leases in some fashion but left before we solved that one. Worth a check of the individual WAPs? -
I'm thinking so. If it's not already worked around. The super-decent @Aprice and I broke the stack down to the 1 and 2 cores yesterday, and removed the fourth entirely, so now there's "less stack" to take objections. I'm not sure how much that buys us in terms of traffic avoiding the stack itself but we figured it's worth a try. Whatever the arbitrary boundary of load is that these Linksys-not-really-Cisco switches when stacked will tolerate, we do hit it with the student wifi on for sure. If this doesn't just scrape us through then I'll throttle all the WAP ports down to 100M and see what that does. Hopefully tides things over until we can get a "grownup" core switch in and fibre all cabs back to it. Thanks again to everyone that helped, may be that we've seen the problem through as far as we can.
-
Same here. There's a couple of services and dependent services that need restarting but I didn't bother and bounced the machine.
-
