Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

JRA

Members
  • Posts

    952
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JRA

  1. You can get that for free if you share their websites https://www.presentationpoint.com/ and https://signagetube.com/ So I just did so.
  2. Not with Veeam but have had similar with Altaro before now. Was down to un-deletable broken checkpoints in the tree. Manually tidying them up in various ways straightened it out again.
  3. https://www.eduk-technologies.co.uk/ https://www.abcdsolutions.co.uk/ The latter I'm not sure specify it specifically, but I'm sure if you spoke to Ben he'd let you know if they offer it. Both firms top folks though and have dealt with them personally.
  4. Hello everyone. Just if anyone's passing with a few minutes and uses Jamf to manage their iPads, how has it been? In and out of the classroom? Do teachers like or hate it/bits of it? Do you like or hate it? Thinking I'm pretty much going that way and if I'm in for some golden years or in for any pitfalls I'd love to hear how it is out in the wild. Thanks all.
  5. Morning all. Resuming my painful learning curve and struggle with the iPads here. Have decided (pretty much) to go with Jamf. This is based largely on my hatred for Mosyle (cannot get on with it at all) and the potential integration with Apple Classroom. I know very very little, and to be honest this whole Apple thing has an uneasy feeling of minefileds and sales pitches designed to catch you out once you commit, and that one little thing you were promised or wanted to do you can't do at all, which you discover once you're stuck. Anyways, rant over (for now.) Good things about Jamf from my hazy memories of very very light use are that it was somewhat more intuitive. Also there's a phone number for support (something Mosyle don't provide) which will be invaluable as I'm sole IT staff here for a big primary. Further to that, we're definitely not the only school in the world using Jamf so I won't be as "at sea" with it all. Webinars and conferences etc abound proclaiming it's virtues, so there's at least that. On to the things I need. I think. Laying them out just so any passing Apple experts can wade in and help me if I've gone mad/got the wrong end of something! Which will be: 1- Get the iPads in for Christmas break to Jamf-ify them. Mug of coffee, Netflix on, Mosyle goes off (or factory reset them) and then Jamf goes on. 1:1 iPads for staff, shared iPads for the students. 1a- Mac server here is dead, get a new one. This I'll need for Apple Configurator to stick some sort of profile on them with (primarily) a WiFi payload. Also need this because the visit-Jamf-url-method to configure these with settings is a method users can remove. No good. I don't understand what I'm doing and I'm out of time to test, the Jamf setup folks will be assisting me patiently with this. It also caches apps somehow, and does some WSUS-esque thing that way which is better than them updating from Apple HQ. So I'm thinking anyways. 2- Apple IDs. There is some way that Azure AD accts (or maybe even local AD) accts can be used to make Apple IDs for the students and teachers. These I believe are essential to the Apple Classroom element of Jamf. I think Jamf relies heavily on Apple Classroom somehow for something. Currently don't know how I'll get the classrooms set up, much of what happens there, or even how it all differentiates between students and teachers. I'll have to find this out. But I know I need it. 3- Also read somewhere the iPads can be used with guest sessions, so the students would just log in as guests and then that'd log them out of their OneDrives/outlook.com etc. Need to look into this more, but let me know if this is something anyone's used and has legs as an approach or won't work 4 - Apple-related results skyrocket because iPad. If anyone out there survived reading that and has two minutes let me know if any of it's bonkers or if I'm slowly getting there. Thanks for reading!
  6. Just getting back to things. Half term was spent knocking up the 365 accts for Ys3-6 so they now have individual logons and OneDrives and emails and all the educational thrills that an A1 license can bring a person. Still iPads on the horizon, still loads to do, still even more to understand before I know what things I even need to do. Looks like we're going with Jamf. And Jamf classroom along with it. We will have shared student iPads so they'll have to sign in and out lots but hey, shiny shiny iPad. Belated thanks for this, Showbie looks really quite good! I'm going to give it a solid look over today.
  7. Last place I worked at had what I vaguely recall were UniFi point-to-point radios. Dead simple to set up, was probably 300yds and worked a treat, same boat as yourselves by the sound of it; few VLANs, MFD and some VoIP phones. Radios were PoE and weatherproof. Definitely no sweat and basically treated like a trunk switch-to-switch just with two radios rather than a cable going to and fro.
  8. You're a gent thanks for all that. I'm being turfed out shortly but I'll check those out.
  9. Azure AD Free only here so whilst I understand some of that, probably a no-go. And no, not brave enough at all to let that write back to my local AD that seems to now be the last bastion of sanity I actually have lol! Is it easy enough to create a dynamic group based on being in an AD group? If so is there an idiot's guide anywhere? And to ask a daft question a dynamic group can be made into a Teams Team, that right? EDIT - oh hang on I found a thing... https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/enterprise-users/groups-create-rule Thanks again also.
  10. Thanks. And pants, I would have thought that synchronising groups between AD and AAD for the sake of useful stuff would actually be a thing. Shows how much I know... I don't but it's not to say I can't add in an attribute in AD when the accounts are created for the sake of keying them to something. E.g. could make the AD attribute "telexNumber" or somesuch their class. Would that then be easier to do? Had quite hoped there'd be some graceful way of doing it. If really not I guess I can make all the Teams up manually... :/ Cheers again though for the help.
  11. Hello everyone - getting to grips with 365 admin and the ins and outs of the admin centre. Hoping to get a thing done if it's possible. Students don't have individual accounts. Or rather didn't until I got to creating them this week. Test accounts in (a couple for each year group) just not thrown the switch yet. Have made some security groups, one for each class in AD. Not mail-enabled but still only for testing at this point. Students and staff (the relevant teachers and any addons/TAs etc) will be members of the AD groups. So, I'd like ideally to have a Teams Team created for each AD group, with students just as members and any staff as owners. Is there any way to go about this? Has anyone done things this way even? Thanks everyone.
  12. I don't know if this fits here, but if we had a thread called "I'm an idiot and I think this is funny" I'd have put it in that. So I've not long bought a house and redecorating the bedrooms. Sparky had to run a cable so I've been putting the drywall back. I've found a very old tobacco tin from the garage (must have been from the '40s or '50s) and I've written "Yeah I'd be disappointed too" on a bit of paper, sealed that in an envelope, folded that up and put it in the ancient tobacco tin, wrapped that in a transparent plastic bag, taped that up too (battered metal tin still quite discernable) and hidden it in the drywall. I intend to live for another 40 years so it may be 50 odd years before some excited homeowner re-models and discovers this. Maybe even the better part of a century. I am quite prepared to play the long gag on this one. EDIT - I must say it does look the part:
  13. Don't get me wrong I'd like one for sure, as part of an up-to-date disaster recovery plan, but not long had the helm here and such things have to happen alongside other things. Like iPads. And getting off-site backups done for the first time, which are now happily in place. And more iPads. And also iPads.
  14. If there were a BCP I would read it and find out.
  15. Thanks both. Yes I think I recall it being emergency contacts would be unavailable and therefore that fell foul of some safeguarding obligation. I'm not 100% sure on if that actually means we'd need to close pretty much the instant SIMS went off, but thought I'd ask in case anyone properly does know either way.
  16. Just wondering, as I'm giving more thought to planning for this in case it happens, is there an obligation for schools to close should the MIS be unavailable for any length of time? I'm sure I heard (aeons ago) that this would be the case.
  17. Ok this might be the most basic thing anyone has ever asked ever, but is there a simple way or place in SIMS to show the total number of students on roll? I don't think I've ever seen it if there is, until this morning when I needed it and fumbled around a bit before I gave up. Is it readily available anywhere? Thanks everyone.
  18. I think Microsoft are quite content to peddle this ethereal fantasy of seamless online experiences and collaboration to business-types who waft along on these incredible ideas waving tablets around blue-skying all day, where the actual guts of "doing it" are palmed off to IT support who have to deal with a cack backend to most of it. Thankfully there are third parties who fill in the gaps with stuff that works. Group Policy Prefs being a good one from back in the day. And probably IAmCloud being another one (I'm about to try that out.)
  19. Thanks everyone. Cloud Drive Mapper looks pretty super for all this as it goes. That folder redirection functionality looks super good. Might well be worth a rummage...
  20. Just in case you're still fighting this one, I am also. This morning stumbled across Cloud Drive Mapper from iamcloud. Looks quite nifty!
  21. Afternoon all. Having a muse on this one, seems to me like I'm in something of a unique (and not altogether bad) circumstance with this. So, the crawl away from on-prem storage to Microsoft's online offerings in SharePoint and OneDrive continues. Or rather begins. Staff are handling this gradually and manually, which is quite ace really. This began before I took over (in Sept.) Eventually they'll be fully OneDrive and SharePoint then we can turn off the lot locally. Students however have never had individual logins (primary, never something wanted or needed before now.) We'll be moving though towards 365 logins for them and also leveraging these for Jamf/Apple Classroom. Having no home areas at all yet (because no accounts) I wanted very much to begin by redirecting the lot to OneDrive. Must admit though most everything that I've googled up (that I understand) has been migrating existing files and folders over, but not starting anew. I'm assuming there's something in a single sign-on when the user logs in, which can map H: to e.g. %OneDrive% and then steer folder redirection using that variable. Is it looking like it'll all be that simple or am I in for something more tricksy? Is this even something someone's already done out there? Thanks for reading and if there are any amazing hints or walkthroughs (or even pitfalls to avoid) I'd love a read/opinion/warning. Happy Friday everyone.
  22. About a year back had an utterly infuriating issue which sounds eerily similar. Never did get to the bottom of it before leaving, and sounds like you got a touch further than me in fact, but I could make it go away briefly by restarting the Unifi WAPs.
  23. Hello all - groping around a bit here. Curriculum lead and I dreamed up something we'd like for the students to do and was curious if there's any software out there that'd do it. Wanted something in a WYSIWYG website builder. Has to be dead dead simple (this is for Y3-Y4 type small people) drag-and-drop-esque and at some point would ideally open the little website so it can be viewed in a browser. Only from the local machine mind, nothing "published" as such. Don't really want anything online, or at least not something that the students would need logins for. Happier if it's something in an .msi I could bash out to the IT rooms. Anyone know of anything like that out there? Thanks everyone.
  24. Hi all. Not long into the job at a shiny new place and looking to add another AP to our old Ruckus system. Bought myself a R500 AP to bolt on but for the life of me can't get it to provision in the ZoneDirector. And lord knows I'm trying. Furthest I've been able to get is for the ZoneDirector to "see" it enough to approve it, but that's it, I can't then configure it from there. If I elect it in the list (from Configure > Access Points) it tells me "This Access Point is not approved/joined yet. Please connect it to proceed configuration." But I have already approved it. Not too hot on the (weird) Ruckus cli but have set the director IP to the IP of the ZD, which it seems to "take" but then can't seem to get any further. I'd assume it'd need the scg setting (with "set scg ip x.x.x.x" <-- being IP of the ZoneDirector) but trying that gets me "The command is either unrecognized or incomplete. To view a list of commands that you can run from this context, type '?' or 'help'." I know this is super super old now and ready for the bin. However it is all we've got until I get a little breathing space to overhaul the WiFi. Just on the slim chance that anyone passing is an absolute Jedi with ancient Ruckus systems I'd dearly love to get this AP plumbed in and working! Thanks much anyone who read all that.
  25. Urgh, ok cracked it. I think it's silly but I cracked it. In the Netgear also need to set the PVID of a port untagged on that VLAN to the VLAN number, not enough (somehow) to tag and untag. Done this and all fine now: Hopefully that's just awkward and not me being a berk lol.
×
×
  • Create New...