Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Apologies I am creating a new post - mainly because the other one related to this is for O365. Anyone Migrated exchange 2010 to 2016 and had to change their mail settings? Since migrating, the emails aren't going out but the test works fine. We had no issues previously and weirdly enough we can't actually see the connector for Bromcom - somehow must have been not needed or deleted. I'm trying to work out exactly what I need to put on our mail server - Bromcom are basically just saying look at our FAQs and here's a long list of IPs. None of this helps. Anyone know exactly what I need to add and where? Bromcom is giving a routing error but only when sending emails - not the actual test.
  2. Thank you, this actually makes sense and likely the issue.
  3. No system is safe. If even the big companies that spend millions can get a breach.... not sure we can go too mad at a supplier. In fact, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Schools are getting hit. Health sector getting hit. Is there any safe areas anymore?.......
  4. Think the issue must be down to the connection. Migration using the endpoint M365 now giving a network error after entering the FQDN (research indicates connection closed). Same error during the Hybrid Wizard within the log and error appears in the federation trust creating it manually. Possible broadband provider adding these? I don't fancy asking that long list of IPs to be added. I'm thinking something on the firewall is blocking the connection between our servers and M365. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/urls-and-ip-address-ranges?view=o365-worldwide#exchange-online
  5. This was going to be my next step. As for migrating exchange 2010 to online, this had issues on every attempt I made to get things going. Read through all the documentation and what others attempted etc (had all sorts of other issues). Already got the exchange 2016 setup and connected, have only migrated test accounts - so I could try another 2010 > 365 again.
  6. Ah, maybe this is the issue I have - the external IP doesn't exist yet. The external mail IP is pointing to our main server not the 2nd one. The main server is still the main transport protocols and connectors etc. I've simply built a 2nd exchange with all the usual mailbox settings etc.
  7. We have no geoblocking in place. TLS enabled for 1.2 and disabled 1.1 and 1.0. Unless I need to configure Azure.
  8. It is the same error I get within the EAC in Organisation. The research I've gone through gave all sorts of ideas: Disabling TLS 1.0 through regedit. Manually creating it within EAC. Fully updated (the error apparently got fixed in update 7). Creating a INI file with some exchange powershell text. None of it worked. If it's one of those things that won't go away until we migrate everything over and switch to this 2016 - I'll have to accept. But hoping we can at least get as much done as possible before the go go. Thank you! [Client=UX, Activity=Domain Ownership, Session=OnPremises, Cmdlet=Set-FederatedOrganizationIdentifier, Thread=21] FINISH Time=517.3ms Results=PowerShell failed to invoke 'Set-FederatedOrganizationIdentifier': An error occurred while attempting to provision Exchange to the Partner STS. Detailed Information "An error occurred accessing Windows Live. Detailed information: "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.".". {CategoryInfo={Activity=[system.String] Set-FederatedOrganizationIdentifier,Category=[system.Management.Automation.ErrorCategory] InvalidResult,Reason=[system.String] ProvisioningFederatedExchangeException,TargetName=[system.String] ,TargetType=[system.String] },ErrorDetails=,Exception=[system.Management.Automation.RemoteException] An error occurred while attempting to provision Exchange to the Partner STS. Detailed Information "An error occurred accessing Windows Live. Detailed information: "The underlying connection was c losed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.".".,FullyQualifiedErrorId=[system.String] [server=XXXXXXXX,RequestId=83aac2e7-be29-4fa2-89a4-1e4ed1c7df81,TimeStamp=6/26/2024 11:24:56 AM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ProvisioningFederatedExchangeException] 5B0E61D1,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetFederatedOrganizationIdentifier} 2024.06.26 11:24:56.608 *ERROR* 10224 [Client=UX, Page=DomainProof, Thread=21]
  9. Apologies, I know there are other threads but not quite matching what we're doing or the issue we currently face. Long story short: We're on Exchange 2010 and installed a 2nd Exchange 2016 server for a hybrid migration. After a lot of steps and all sorts of issues, it is progressing nicely for the summer. So the issue right now - using the hybrid wizard, it now sits Looking through the EAC it shows an error when trying to manually modify the share domain. Connection closed - this to me says we need our broadband provider to enable the microsoft exchange domains (outlook / our domain.onmicrosoft) and some IPs listed here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/urls-and-ip-address-ranges?view=o365-worldwide#bkmk_exo&preserve-view=true During the full hybrid wizard config we get up to the DNS part - our provider added our TXT record - we stopped getting an error. Now it just sits there "Adding federated domain". Just wondering if anyone has an idea? I don't fancy asking them to add that long list of IPs - unless it just needs our domainname.onmicrosoft.com ?? And yes I know.. exchange 2010 - all my fault for putting so much on hold. We plan on putting everything over to 2016 and migrating online - I am trying to make sure we are in full prep so things can 'just go'. Thank you!
  10. This. This literally us. People hate change and learning a new platform is hard work. You login sims and do what you need to do BAM job done. Luckily enough most of SLT were on board for the change. The consistent comments being made: when it breaks - it breaks and how it feels outdated and lack of cloud options. The only person that had serious concerns was the DHT dealing with timetables. So I explained that we can get another bit of software that helps with the transition and we can NovaT for a bit - after all we still had to cancel the SIMs contract which takes time + we paid for the annual sub.
  11. Another SIMs to Bromcom here. I did have a list of what all 3 main systems offered and Bromcom came just ahead. The big negative of Bromcom, in the first 6 months we generally had performance issues and reliability problems. The last 6 months have greatly improved. The other gripe I have is how we send out MCAS accounts - we previously used EduLink One and I can't stress how simple and customizable everything was. They do update it regularly and have made big improvements to the parts I use (MCAS etc). I think leaving SIMs and going to say Arbor or Bromcom has generally been positive here on the forum and certainly worth taking the leap. Now things have really settled for us, I find it much better.
  12. Makes sense, think Bromcom has been building their own one - one thing that did pop up with Bromcom Vs Arbor comparison. Bromcom wanted to make their own one and Arbor pointed in the direction of the other. TimeTabler was the one they both looked at. Arbor getting them makes perfect sense.
  13. We were in the exact situation when we left SIMs. Do you need to keep Nova T? No. Let me be clear on this. This is because it can be quite difficult learning a new system and the lack of confidence etc. Our DHT struggled but got there in the end - depending if you Arbor or Bromcom you may need something like this https://www.timetabler.com/download/ The issue comes from the ability to migrate Nova T data - THIS WAS A WHILE AGO - but at the time Bromcom didn't have the ability to migrate from Nova T or do too much timetable stuff so we got this software. Can't remember the details sorry. I think Bromcom have made a lot of changes/updates - I do see a new area within the system for timetables. Nova T satellite - you can setup the software to work independently without the server. At the time we setup everything to work without SIMs because I didn't want to do anymore updates and left the server to sit there as a plan B in the event we pulled the plug on Bromcom. Created a new drive for it and kept a copy of the install files etc. Left it down to the DHT to train himself on the new software etc. Only question I would put is are you licensed to use Nova T after the contract runs out. So yes, you can get rid of Nova T but it is a big change for the person doing timetables. If you want more details, send a PM.
  14. Latest email we got is it's tied to their performance upgrade improvement but made it worse. Normally I would be critical of Bromcom but the last 6 months have seen a huge improvement to reliability that rivaled SIMs. Obviously, Sims was reliable because I went out of my way to make it reliable and avoid doing any work within working hours and their updates installed during holidays only...
  15. OUCH OUCH. Have they said why the costs went up so much? That isn't a slight jump.. surely that doens't even match inflation? Did they magically give everyone a 400% pay rise? Do they hire large offices and those costs went up by 400%? Sorry I can't help but glad we are using HyperV. May not be perfect but for us it does the job and we have very little issues. OUCH OUCH I can imagine what our SBM would say if I told him that.......
  16. Didn't realise you had a Palworld server!
  17. I don't know the details, in the end I got them to sit down with Bromcom virtual meetings to sort it all out. Both times I got told "bromcom admit they can't do it" and there is no work around for it. Believe it had to do with making tasks easier and quicker. Related to Attendance and Data Manager.
  18. On our list to look at but right now it isn't a priority. I think give it a few more years and we will consider replacing our site wide Wi-Fi. We still stick to desktops and cables - they work and I can't see the production of PCs magically vanishing anytime soon. As a school we are now discouraging personal devices for safeguarding a security and sticking to school owned ones (wasn't my idea - it was DSL). Kids are already banned from using phones. Most of our site is covered with cabling and still resort to laptops for certain depts like PE - due to registers in areas with no cabling. Our official stance is not to provide laptops due to the costs. Most of our equipment isn't wireless and the extras certainly aren't (printers/boilers/catering). So this certainly puts WiFi 6 on a low priority right now - even though the gov standards says we should be meeting this standard.
  19. I can understand why people don't want to leave SIMs. For us, we heavily relied on it and multiple people are employed to do their daily jobs within the MIS: attendance/personnel/data manager/admissions/SEN/Timetabling and that before we discuss the general registers/student parent support. There are certain tasks that can't be done in Bromcom compared to SIMs - data manager related. She had discussions with Bromcom and they confirmed it can't be done. Attendance also had similar discussions. Generally everyone else is happy but it is a change and reliability is a key factor. Bromcom reliability has been poor compared to SIMs but I made it clear that I spent a lot of time making it reliable. Patches were done outside normal hours and updates were done during holidays. I know how to use SIMs and maintain the SQL and Solus. Originally the system wasn't setup correctly and had serious performance issues - only have to look at the endless posts on EduGeek to find schools struggling with SIMs. Worth the change though. I don't have to worry about another backup or updates during evenings or maintaining the SQL. My only issue is MCAS clearly not as fluid as EduLinkOne - which was very easy to filter out inactive parents with email addresses and send the details. Plus the student portal just worked. The MCAS has improved lately with some nice updates. Again - worth the change.
  20. I don't get it. They own the software but the data itself? SQL is simply a table of data and a new MIS tally the SIMs database to their own. Like matching an excel sheet import - am I right in this assumption? How on earth can you act like you own this data? I'm so glad we walked away when we did. Yes I know they don't support it. I didn't ring them once asking for help to migrate any data over, it got left to Bromcom - it's why they allow the testing phase of confirming the migration went well. Gave us time to test it etc. Seriously, they can get .......... beeped. I would love to see this go to court and legally challenge a school over this. This literally forces schools to stay with SIMs if they won - how do you tender the market every 3 years for an MIS if you can't migrate the data.
  21. Love the words temp building. I'm seriously getting old and the temp buildings have been around in different schools for many... many ............ many years. I will say this though... my Primary school had a temp building and it got replaced in recent years. YAY Only took a fire.. completely burned down... nothing left.... for it to be replaced.
  22. A big thank you to everyone here. Especially those providing better non website versions I have managed to go through a lot and now have a long list of what we need to do. Luckily most of it is 'recording this and that' and perhaps putting it in with our annual Governors report. Our DSL had already been asking questions so we know we've met a lot!. Thanks again everyone.
  23. If you have a 5 year contract that is down to you. We don't. You can within reason consider walking away from that contract but you would need to discuss it with a lawyer. You need to prove contract obligations weren't filled etc (if I remember rightly).
  24. Tendering. Our contract isn't anywhere near the 5 years and we will simply not renew and go somewhere else. I don't like waiting until the final few months to tender.
×
×
  • Create New...